Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 05:24 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
That citation's text states that the figure is $1B per year estimated for year 2000. Did you read that page?
So if the cost to cover ALL illegal aliens for the country, over a 10 year period = $10B, (i.e. $1B x 10 = $10B) and the cost to insure the americans = $900 Billion, wouldnt it make sense to just include them in any plan, if indeed the cost to insure them is only 1% more?

By time your done adding them onto the rolls, hell, they would indeed get free care right? Remember, the argument is the more you add to the program, the more fraud is removed and the cheaper it is right?

p.s. those numbers exclude what the states and cities pay, which California alone paid $946 million for example..

Last edited by pghquest; 09-10-2009 at 05:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 05:25 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So Obama is now proposing to not cover those 1/3rd of americans which dont have insurance, but are not poor?

Those 2/3rd which are poor, without insurance, cant simply be added to the medicaid rolls since they are poor?

Since 2/3rd of those without insurance are indeed poor, and would qualify for other programs based upon the fact they are poor, we are revamping the whole insurance industry for that 1/3rd, who are not poor, but choose to not have care? i.e. that 16 million individuals left?
how on earth did you come to that conclusion?

a public option will cover anyone who opts for it. he's just changing what number he cites when he says how many americans are uninsured. honestly i think it's kind of uncool to cave to the rhetoric of the opposition like that. but the point is, it blows your claim that 1/3 of those not paying for care are illegal aliens. in fact a good number of the 1/3 obama is now excluding from his stats is probably paying for health care costs out of pocket. you can't look at the number of uninsured and assume none of them are paying for their care.

and obviously the 30 million are above the level for receiving medicaid, or they'd be insured. there is a huge income gap between qualifying for medicaid and making enough to afford insurance.

a true public option would help *everyone*, including employers.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:27 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,416,568 times
Quote:
So if the cost to cover ALL illegal aliens for the country, over a 10 year period = $10B, (i.e. $1B x 10 = $10B) and the cost to insure the americans = $900 Billion, wouldnt it make sense to just include them in any plan, if indeed the cost to insure them is only 1% more?

By time your done adding them onto the rolls, hell, they would indeed get free care right? Remember, the argument is the more you add to the program, the more fraud and the cheaper it is right?

p.s. those numbers exclude what the states and cities pay, which California alone paid $946 million for example..
1% seems like a small number, but 10 billion dollars is a hell of a lot of money to spend on people who aren't paying their share of taxes.

I'm all for legalization of illegals, but until that happens, I don't want to pay for them either.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
how on earth did you come to that conclusion?

a public option will cover anyone who opts for it. he's just changing what number he cites when he says how many americans are uninsured. honestly i think it's kind of uncool to cave to the rhetoric of the opposition like that. but the point is, it blows your claim that 1/3 of those not paying for care are illegal aliens. in fact a good number of the 1/3 obama is now excluding from his stats is probably paying for health care costs out of pocket. you can't look at the number of uninsured and assume none of them are paying for their care.

and obviously the 30 million are above the level for receiving medicaid, or they'd be insured. there is a gap between qualifying for medicaid and making enough to afford insurance.
If you listened to the first half of the speech, he said that he would be requiring employers to offer health insurance, and he would be requiring those with a certain amount of means to provide their own insurance. The public option is then widdeled down to 5% of the population.

Thats how he got to that number. There seems to be a discrepency at first glance, between the number of uninsured in America vs. How many would be covered by the public option. But as I said, if you dig a little deeper, you understand what he is talking about, if all employers giving health insurance to their employees, the number of the uninsured drops quickly.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:35 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,687,607 times
ah, i actually didn't listen to the first half of the speech.

this proposal is so wishy washy.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
1% seems like a small number, but 10 billion dollars is a hell of a lot of money to spend on people who aren't paying their share of taxes.

I'm all for legalization of illegals, but until that happens, I don't want to pay for them either.
Excluding the fact that any such plan is unconstitutional, My problem isnt so much paying for the illegals, its pointing out the falacy that many think we wont.. Democrats want to ignore that a huge percentage of those without insurance are illegals, which contribute to the bill we all face and has helped to explain the cost of care for everyone else.

Hell, I'd rather illegals had options to join the program. If we're going to continue to pickup the tab for them regardless of their participation, they should have the option to help pay for it..

Old 09-10-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
and obviously the 30 million are above the level for receiving medicaid, or they'd be insured. there is a huge income gap
So why not just increase the income levels to qualify for medicaid? They could do that within 24 hours..

Old 09-10-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Excluding the fact that any such plan is unconstitutional, My problem isnt so much paying for the illegals, its pointing out the falacy that many think we wont.. Democrats want to ignore that a huge percentage of those without insurance are illegals, which contribute to the bill we all face and has helped to explain the cost of care for everyone else.

Hell, I'd rather illegals had options to join the program. If we're going to continue to pickup the tab for them regardless of their participation, they should have the option to help pay for it..
Section 246 of HR3200 prohibits spending any money on non legal residents of these United States.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Booing is one thing. Thats common in State of the Union addresses. The Republicans did it last night, I had no problem with that. However, yelling out loud "you lie!" was inappropriate.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:58 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,160,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I tried watching hannity...but the minute he started saying that the president did not dispute dispute the following
- NHC will not cover illegals
- will not include death panels
- will not force inclusion for abortion

the first one alone made me turn the channel. Don't know what speech he was watching, but the FLAT OUT LIE..damn
You know,they say if one repeats a lie enough times,people will start to believe it! Sickening,isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies