Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:39 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times

Advertisements

Cash for Clunkers Buyers Suffer Buyer's Remorse, Won't Save Fuel

Remorse
That means that over twice as many C4C participants as normal buyers are worried about the negative impact a brand spanking new payment book with $275 printed on each of its 72 pages might have on rent and Hamburger Helper expenditures.

Fuel
CNW surveyed drivers involved in the purchase of the first 239,000 C4C vehicles. The average intended annual mileage was 10,894, up from the actual clunker mileage of 6,162. For those of you without a calculator falling readily to hand, that’s nearly double
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 06:51 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Remorse
That means that over twice as many C4C participants as normal buyers are worried about the negative impact a brand spanking new payment book with $275 printed on each of its 72 pages might have on rent and Hamburger Helper expenditures.

Fuel
CNW surveyed drivers involved in the purchase of the first 239,000 C4C vehicles. The average intended annual mileage was 10,894, up from the actual clunker mileage of 6,162. For those of you without a calculator falling readily to hand, that’s nearly double
We all know by know -Its the Obama way! Spend yourself out of a financial crisis!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:07 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:

Remorse
That just means they should have thought harder about their financial situation before jumping up and buying a new car.

Further example of the fact that the people they are talking about are stupid:
Quote:
According to a survey of new-vehicle buyers who participated in the recent Cash for Clunkers program, more than 17 percent now harbor “some” doubt or “serious” doubt about letting a government subsidy convince them to go further into debt.
How did the government subsidy convince them? Did it come knock on their front door and tell them they needed to be go to the dealership right now and buy a new car? No, they heard about it, saw an ad, and convinced themselves they needed a new car.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
How did the government subsidy convince them?
The thought process of these individuals went as follows
mmm My car is worth $1200
Government going to pay me $4,000 for it..
SOLD..

Old 09-11-2009, 07:27 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
The thought process of these individuals went as follows
mmm My car is worth $1200
Government going to pay me $4,000 for it..
SOLD..
Again that was their fault for not thinking of their own financial situation - the government didn't force anybody to buy a new car.

The government is going to pay me 4K so I can buy a 25K car that I can't afford right now - well golly gee let me run and grab my pocketbook.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:43 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Only the United States of America would invest tax dollars in a product that depreciates instead of appreciates in value. Coupled with the decrease in disposable income for families that bought a new car, we have quite probably the stupidest government waste program in the history of the country.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:52 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
The survey actually shows that even in a time of general employment and economic fears and concerns, nearly 85% of participants in the CARS program have no worries at all about making the payments on their new vehicles.

And by the way, the average fuel efficiency upgrade between the model traded in and the model purchased under CARS was just about 10 mpg.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:43 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
too bad GM didn't have any cars in the top 10 in CFC. that didn't stop them from issuing a memo today on restoring salaries to white collar GM employees:

General Motors Co. is telling employees in an e-mail that it will restore white-collar pay cuts made earlier this year, as of Sept. 1. The company cut executive-level pay by 10 percent, manager pay by 7 percent and most other salaries by 5 percent in the spring as it struggled to avoid bankruptcy protection.

Workers received GM's e-mail on Friday, the person said. The e-mail says the reinvention of the company is just beginning and it appreciates the sacrifices employees have made. (AP)

how about the taxpayers' sacrifice?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The survey actually shows that even in a time of general employment and economic fears and concerns, nearly 85% of participants in the CARS program have no worries at all about making the payments on their new vehicles.
People havent received their payment books yet..

Old 09-11-2009, 09:03 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Only the United States of America would invest tax dollars in a product that depreciates instead of appreciates in value. Coupled with the decrease in disposable income for families that bought a new car, we have quite probably the stupidest government waste program in the history of the country.
That is a great response. I hate buying cars but they are a necessity where I live. Any astute investor realizes a car is the second worst large purchase you can make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies