Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:50 AM

754 posts, read 1,923,010 times

Advertisements

Perhaps there is more birth because they do not beleive in Abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 AM

38 posts, read 51,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
This place is so fun.

This is what we call type 2, or fallacious deductive, error in logic. The initial data presented is true, but an incorrect association or deduction is made to arrive at the conclusion. It is a technique often used by propagandists and politicians to decieve.

Example of a type 2 logic error

1. Africa has the highest continental prevalence of aids
2. Most Africans are black
3. Therefore being black causes aids

The initial premise is that teen pregnancy is highest in states with conservative religious beliefs. I do not debate that "fact", but am not certain actually whether it is true or not. That is not relevant, as the conclusion or inference is invalid. The inference that -

conservative religious beliefs cause teen pregancy

is certainly incorrect and is a logic error, equally as invalid as the premise noted above.

Obviously, income levels, education, cultural beliefs, state laws and a variety of other factors come into to play when considering the global effects that result in higher teen pregnancies.

In order to determine the REAL impact on teen pregnancy with regard to these factors, one must conduct a statistical evalauation, compared to another region, using an ANOVA evaluation with a Nueman Keuls analysis for multiple comparisons. The reason that multiple "t" tests for comparisons is invalid lies in the fact that when one looks at an infinite number of factors that may contribute to a certain "outcome", a number of those factors may be invalid simply due to chance. The multiple "t" test analysis is a common statistical error that one often sees even in well respected peer reviewed journals which fail to understand proper statistical evaluation of data. Therefore incorrect conclusions are drawn not due to the validity of the data, but the statistical interpretaion of the data.

A little science literature primer for those more interested in the methods and evaluation of data, than the conclusions. When evaluating a paper, look first at the methods and results, then look at the hypothesis and conclusion. Often the latter are not worth reading due to problems with the former.
exactly. southern states have the highest population of blacks. black teens are more likely to get pregnant than white teens (don't believe me look it up)!!! blacks vote democrat. so, you are correct, Red states have a higher teen pregnancy rate.....but the blue voters (blacks) are the reason for it. Thank you....no need for applause.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:11 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
U.S. states whose residents have more conservative religious beliefs on average tend to have higher rates of teenagers giving birth, a new study suggests.

Mississippi topped the list for both conservative religious beliefs and teen birth rates.

Teen birth rates highest in most religious states - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com
I suppose you think should they have gotten abortions instead.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:12 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Condoms. the pill, sterilization, education or any other forms of desired birth control is one issue I wish we did supply freely. Kids make kids and the poor can't support them.

Birth control is one area where it's money well spent and pays off big time.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:14 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Condoms. the pill, sterilization, education or any other forms of desired birth control is one issue I wish we did supply freely. Kids make kids and the poor can't support them.

Birth control is one area where it's money well spent and pays off big time.
At what age, income, and education level would you see fit to allow people to have children?

you want to give stuff away "freely" do it with your money, I'll keep mine.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
U.S. states whose residents have more conservative religious beliefs on average tend to have higher rates of teenagers giving birth, a new study suggests.

Mississippi topped the list for both conservative religious beliefs and teen birth rates.

Teen birth rates highest in most religious states - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com
Uhhh why would this be shocking.......I am going to go out on limb here and guess they have the lower abortion rates, when you kill a baby before it is born, it kind of curbs the birth rate.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:19 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
That is the one thing I like about Europe. Kids can go to a doctor without a doctor having to tell their parents...and can obtain the birth control pill.

It prevents a lot of prenancies and abortus cases...so I'm all in favor it....kids are kids and when parents tell them not to do it...we all know that this is one thing they often don't listen to the parents!

My son is in High School and one of his classroom mates is 5 months pregnant! To me that is sad...maybe she likes it and will be a great mother, I'm not saying that, but to me a 17 yr old should first get an education, than a job and later enjoy some time in a relations ship before a baby will take much of the freedom and place ahuge responsibility on the teenager and her family.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
That is the one thing I like about Europe. Kids can go to a doctor without a doctor having to tell their parents...and can obtain the birth control pill.

It prevents a lot of prenancies and abortus cases...so I'm all in favor it....kids are kids and when parents tell them not to do it...we all know that this is one thing they often don't listen to the parents!

My son is in High School and one of his classroom mates is 5 months pregnant! To me that is sad...maybe she likes it and will be a great mother, I'm not saying that, but to me a 17 yr old should first get an education, than a job and later enjoy some time in a relations ship before a baby will take much of the freedom and place ahuge responsibility on the teenager and her family.
and do you think these kids who are getting pregnant don't know where to get free birth control? Get real!!! All any of them have to do is go to planned parenthood or they can buy condoms in any drug store.

To the OP, we can take any study and turn into what we want it to say. States like Mississippi may be part of the bible belt but they also have a high rate of high school drop outs, and a very high poverty rate. Combine that with teens not seeking abortion for many reasons in states like Mississippi. That might account for part of unwed birth rate.

OP and others, don't put too much into these studies and religion has very little to do with any of it.

Nita

Old 09-17-2009, 09:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Well ... wasn't mary 14 when she had jesus?
No one really knows.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
Perhaps there is more birth because they do not beleive in Abortion.
But apparently they do believe in pre-marital sex! Unprotected, no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies