Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 01:29 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Can't you read....I stated that I'm all in favor of abortions on rape victims! Please read my post again!

But again if it happens, a girl doesn't need an abortion a day later, indeed the morning after pill can make sure no abortion is necessary so do some research before promoting abortus to every rape victim!

Prevention is the key...that is why I'm in favor of the birth control pill and btw why did Dr. Tiller have to do so many late term abortions on all 11 year olds as you are stating....it seems something is wrong if many 11 yr old girls get raped and don't have a clue and do nothing until months later...where are the mothers and fathers of these girls...
Don't they know they can get pregnant after a rape and wait for months...
NO! Some of these little girls didn't know what was going on with their bodies, i.e. they didn't understand that they could get pregnant because they started their menstrual cycles .. hello! Also, these girls get raped and they immediately go into shame mode and TELL NOBODY. Anyone who can't have an ounce of sympathy for a girl like that is a cold hearted person and can be lumped into the blame the victim category. I'm willing to cut some slack because I don't think a lot of people think that it can be that bad, but it can. There is a lot of ignorance when it comes to female sexuality, some by choice. You can't lump these girls into the "give 'em a pill" culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 02:29 PM

I'm still astounded that some people still actually believe that women use abortion as birth control!!!!! Seriously, what woman would do that?

Old 09-18-2009, 04:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I'm still astounded that some people still actually believe that women use abortion as birth control!!!!! Seriously, what woman would do that?
and I am astonished that you can't see this. If women are not using it as a form of birth control why are there so many abortions in the USA? Do you think all are first time having sex girls, rape, insest or girls who don't know what they are doing? Of course not, they are women who, for whatever reason are not using birth control. There is little excuse for this today. As my daughter told her girls, don't ever come home PG cause there is no excuse for it. She didn't have to say any thing else.

Nita

Old 09-18-2009, 04:38 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
U.S. states whose residents have more conservative religious beliefs on average tend to have higher rates of teenagers giving birth, a new study suggests.

Mississippi topped the list for both conservative religious beliefs and teen birth rates.

Teen birth rates highest in most religious states - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

This article fails to mention that teens include 18 and 19 year olds. Many of them are married when they become pregnant.

Interesting though. I majored in fertility and family planning in college. Contraception was illegal in Romania under Communist rule. There was no contraception. None. Yet they had the lowest birth rates on the planet.

And then there is the United States during the Great Depression. Contraception was not widely available. Birth rates were low. Lower than they are today when contraception is widely available. It was lower for marrieds and not marrieds. Teens and non-teens.

This study was done to try and make religious people look bad. It is a joke.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:40 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I know some women that elected to have abortions for no other reason then they didn't want to have a child. That seems like it is birth control to me.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:09 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I am astonished that you can't see this. If women are not using it as a form of birth control why are there so many abortions in the USA? Do you think all are first time having sex girls, rape, insest or girls who don't know what they are doing? Of course not, they are women who, for whatever reason are not using birth control. There is little excuse for this today. As my daughter told her girls, don't ever come home PG cause there is no excuse for it. She didn't have to say any thing else.

Nita
Perhaps failure rates of some birth control. As you are well aware, nothing is 100%. Besides, bc is MUCH less expensive than an abortion. If you can find some sort of FACTUAL information that proves your theory I would be happy to hear it otherwise it is just an opinion and not a well informed one at that.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:33 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
Don't discount water pollution as well -- estrogen from birth control pills do end up in our drinking water supply (ewww) b/c treatment plants aren't dealing with it, this is especially the case in colder urban climates b/c the estrogen is not killed off naturally by heat as it is in the warmer southern states -- so I gotta wonder if the more urbanized states have the lower fertility rates due to the excess estrogen in the the drinking water and also due to more women being on the Pill (more culturally acceptable, and wealthier can afford). Just sayin'...

Old 09-18-2009, 07:11 PM

754 posts, read 1,923,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
This place is so fun.

This is what we call type 2, or fallacious deductive, error in logic. The initial data presented is true, but an incorrect association or deduction is made to arrive at the conclusion. It is a technique often used by propagandists and politicians to decieve.

Example of a type 2 logic error

1. Africa has the highest continental prevalence of aids
2. Most Africans are black
3. Therefore being black causes aids

The initial premise is that teen pregnancy is highest in states with conservative religious beliefs. I do not debate that "fact", but am not certain actually whether it is true or not. That is not relevant, as the conclusion or inference is invalid. The inference that -

conservative religious beliefs cause teen pregancy

is certainly incorrect and is a logic error, equally as invalid as the premise noted above.

Obviously, income levels, education, cultural beliefs, state laws and a variety of other factors come into to play when considering the global effects that result in higher teen pregnancies.

In order to determine the REAL impact on teen pregnancy with regard to these factors, one must conduct a statistical evalauation, compared to another region, using an ANOVA evaluation with a Nueman Keuls analysis for multiple comparisons. The reason that multiple "t" tests for comparisons is invalid lies in the fact that when one looks at an infinite number of factors that may contribute to a certain "outcome", a number of those factors may be invalid simply due to chance. The multiple "t" test analysis is a common statistical error that one often sees even in well respected peer reviewed journals which fail to understand proper statistical evaluation of data. Therefore incorrect conclusions are drawn not due to the validity of the data, but the statistical interpretaion of the data.

A little science literature primer for those more interested in the methods and evaluation of data, than the conclusions. When evaluating a paper, look first at the methods and results, then look at the hypothesis and conclusion. Often the latter are not worth reading due to problems with the former.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am amazed at how people can look at other peoples conclusion drawn from numbers and take them at face value.
I stated some where else that if you give me enough time with these numbers, I can manipulate them into proving the existence of the Easter Bunny.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:27 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
U.S. states whose residents have more conservative religious beliefs on average tend to have higher rates of teenagers giving birth, a new study suggests.

Mississippi topped the list for both conservative religious beliefs and teen birth rates.

Teen birth rates highest in most religious states - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com
Lowest levels of education in those states, too.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
I know some women that elected to have abortions for no other reason then they didn't want to have a child. That seems like it is birth control to me.
Some! You said SOME!!! Thank you for not being a generalizer. Most in the anti-choice movement wouldn't say what you said. And you know what ... choice is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies