Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 01:26 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have never had to show a social security card to get a job. I know my number off the top of my head and give it to them, and they have always been OK with that. I have never shown any other form of ID other than a driver's license which is not proof of citizenship. (Neither is a Social Security card, green card holders have them too.)
I've been trying to remember. I don't think I had to show a SS card; drivers license, yes. I had to do a drug test. And, again, there was checking out all kinds of other stuff IRT to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 01:26 PM

140 posts, read 270,514 times
Quote:
I have never had to show a social security card to get a job. I know my number off the top of my head and give it to them, and they have always been OK with that. I have never shown any other form of ID other than a driver's license which is not proof of citizenship. (Neither is a Social Security card, green card holders have them too.)
And then they photocopied them--right? But I'm just saying that prior to the I-9 form, it wasn't necessary to show anything or get anything photocopied. The great wave of Mexican immigration that the federal government secretly desired is what lead to this stupid I-9 stuff. IMHO it is a farse. It is a false attempt to make the feds look like they care about illegal immigration.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:28 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A social security card proves you are here legally.

I have no problem with this procedure.
Minor nitpick: A social security card shows that you're residing legally, but you're not necessarily entitled to work. (The SS cards are horrible designs as regards counterfeit prevention, anyway.)

The current Green Cards, on the other hand, have microprints and holograms and whatnot all over the place - I'd not cherish the thought of faking one of those.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:28 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quote:
Unless it's for a sensitive government/military job nobody cares about citizenship - just that you are legally able to work in the USA (as a citizen or legal resident).

Old 09-20-2009, 01:29 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
I wouldn't take either, but I much prefer Africans from the west coast (gold coast) to those from the east side.
Well, I suppose it would only matter to you if you're renting. Do you rent or hire, etc? And if so, do you make your decisions based on ethnicity and/or country of origin?

Old 09-20-2009, 01:30 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
People from the state of Ohio were put in positions of "phone talkers" during WWII because the military knew that most of them had neutral accents--not a Texas accent or Nu Jerrr-zeee or Gawh-jah accents--do you know what I mean?
I didn't know that. If I was really going to play Devil's advocate, I'd argue that it's probably easier for a foreigner to pick up a neutral accent than, say, a Texas one.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:33 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,261 times
Quote:
You really should get in control of your emotions. From 1986 to February/2009 an expired U.S. passport was acceptable.
Acceptable for what?

Old 09-20-2009, 01:34 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,261 times
Quote:
You should have rented to Americans and not people from Ethiopia--haha
You're trolling aren't you?

The family was 'white' and spoke neutral English. Turns out they were just you're typical deadbeats.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I've been trying to remember. I don't think I had to show a SS card; drivers license, yes. I had to do a drug test. And, again, there was checking out all kinds of other stuff IRT to school.
I have never had to take a drug test either; I guess I am lucky. Not that they would find anything on it, but I would not like to have to endure the indignity of being forced to pee in a cup.

Quote:
And then they photocopied them--right? But I'm just saying that prior to the I-9 form, it wasn't necessary to show anything or get anything photocopied. The great wave of Mexican immigration that the federal government secretly desired is what lead to this stupid I-9 stuff. IMHO it is a farse. It is a false attempt to make the feds look like they care about illegal immigration.
Probably, I don't know. I was a child in 1986 so I cannot really say what things were like before then. I am anti-illegal so I do not have any issues with employers verifying that I am a U.S. citizen, or entitled to work here.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:37 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I'm whiter than white but I have to cough up a Birth certificate/driver's license/social security card for every job I've ever applied for. When I go job hunting I carry them all with me and they make a copy of them. Its too simple a process to get upset about.
A birth certificate and social security card? I've never heard of that and I hire people.

I don't even know where my social security card is....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies