Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:29 AM

140 posts, read 270,815 times

Advertisements

I hated the 1986 Immigration and Reform Act under president Reagan. Part of that was the I-9 form where the federal government put the responsibility of law enforcement (protecting our borders) on corporate America. This was stunt perpetrated by the feds to massivly increase Mexican immigration into the United States.

Every time I want to get a different job in my own country that I was born and raised in, I have to prove that I'm an American citizen. I have the white European look/culture that 95% of this country was settled by. I speak perfectly neutral English (born and raised in Cincinnati), and yet I have prove I'm American to get a job which means I have to submit to the humility of getting my personal documents photocopied--social security card and driver's license. I used to just use an expried passport, but now the feds will no longer accept that. Now the passport must be current. What the heck does it matter if I have an expired U.S. passport? It proves I'm a U.S. citizen. But moreover, why should we Americans have to submit to this nonsene at all? Why don't you card Mohammad who has a thick accent or Jose who is obviously Mexican? Maybe just maybe those guys are the ones here illegally? This whole thing stinks! It hurt us Americans the most. Just think how many millions upon millions of us have had to submit to this stupid nonsense by the feds and get our personal ID photocopied and have to prove we're American? I hate what this country has become, and I hate our federal governmemt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 08:36 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,227,647 times
I'm whiter than white but I have to cough up a Birth certificate/driver's license/social security card for every job I've ever applied for. When I go job hunting I carry them all with me and they make a copy of them. Its too simple a process to get upset about.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:37 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,307,268 times
Uhhh...you've ALWAYS had to prove this to get a job.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:38 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,568,470 times
And another no.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:41 AM

615 posts, read 1,694,971 times
And how exactly do you propose we stop people from hiring illegal immigrations if they can't ask for proof that you are who you say you are and that YOU are legal? People will always get in here illegally even if we put up a fence and station armed guards all the way around, and I can't imagine how much that would cost. People got through the Berlin wall, they won't ever stop trying and unless we stop any and all tourists coming in and out of this country people can come and just not ever leave.

If you hate the government so much, then why don't you just leave? I am sure that India, or Nicaraqua, or Mexico would take you and you would probably be free to do whatever you want, whenever you want.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 AM

140 posts, read 270,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Uhhh...you've ALWAYS had to prove this to get a job.
You must of been born in Mexico. Prior to 1986 you did not have to prove this at all. I remember walking into a Manpower spot labor halls in the 70s and filing out one form that had a section for name/address/work history and the bottom part was a tear off for what was then a W-4 form for withholding. You had to prove NOTHING! There is a little history lesson for you my Mexican friend.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,633,565 times
Fine then, have an attitude about something that is absolutely necessary these days in order to keep the jobs going to LEGALS.

Don't complain then, one day, when if they ever did away with this formality, and your potential 'job' was then given to an ILLEGAL.

Let's see where your bad attitude got you then? I bet you'd love to have to prove your citizenship at that point......

Just another viewpoint.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,239,768 times
So return to the days of referring to people as "swarthy" and ID only those who fit the description? So you hate the federal government - what if your state imposed its own law requiring this, which they would probably do in lieu of a federal requirement? Or is this just another convenient excuse to complain about the feds?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:46 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,151,705 times
Uhhhh..... with everything that's wrong with what our current "leadership" is doing, you're complaining about THIS?????

Your priorities are pretty screwed up, my Buckeye friend.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:47 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,427,488 times
No, it's no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies