Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 07:32 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,565,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Actually, you are mistaken. This debate is not on my terms or constraints - this debate is about smoking bans - and if the gov't has the legal and/or moral right and/or obligation to impose such bans w/in a publicly-accessed privately-owned establishment. It is not about drinking, food additives, jay walking, driving, DRM, whale hunting, climate change, or any other subject. Why does not get through to you? If you need, here is the first post that created this thread:

Call me silly, but,,, for some reason I do not see anywhere w/in Claire's post where drinking, helmet laws, driving, spitting on sidewalks, illegal immigration, etc were the subject of this debate.
Okay, you are silly. Segregating one type of restriction of personal rights leads to the restriction of all personal rights. Wiggle and squirm as much as you can, the other actions cited are impacted by this attempt at political correctness by a nanny government. I take personal respondsibility for my decisions and actions and do not require the governments approval. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 08:29 AM

234 posts, read 786,633 times
England's smoking ban will take effect on July 1st. But, this isn't enough for the government....Now, they are talking about encouraging (forcing) citizens to become vegetarians....

Here's a link:

The secret plans to turn us all vegetarian | the Daily Mail

Once the "nannies" and "health-nazis" take control, they don't want to stop! Enough is never enough for people like this....What will be banned next in the USA?

Old 06-11-2007, 05:44 PM

A Republican State Representative in Hawaii just wrote a bill that would allow bars, restaurants, and nightclubs to pull out of the state smoking ban. (As long as they post signs at the front door, letting customers know that they allow smoking in their establishment.)

Representatives in the state are citing a U.S. Supreme court decision from the early 1970's...Lloyd Corp v. Tanner, 407 U.S. 551 ( from 1992)....which states that a place of business does not become public property just because the public is invited in.

Here's an article about it:

Hawaii Reporter: Hawaii Reporter (http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story.aspx?92e245cc-99d4-4cce-bbc7-c51c4e12cb9d - broken link)

Old 06-11-2007, 06:19 PM

3,314 posts, read 9,197,292 times
I am a non-smoker. I am allergic to smoke and have to take medication to allow me to go out in the regular world. Even smokers who are not smoking around me bother me...why? Cause it's on them, in their clothes, etc.

Some of you say to take my business elsewhere...not ALWAYS possible. We just moved and the company my husband works for paid for the move. The moving company involved sent the van with the driver/packers. Granted, they never smoked in my house but just being near them all day made me sick to my stomach and caused my cough to get so bad, I still have it 5 weeks later.

Smoking in a place like a restaurant and having a non-smoking section is like having a non-pee zone in a swimming pool...still infects ALL the water. Liz

Old 06-11-2007, 07:33 PM

More and more chain restaurants have been opening non-smoking outlets on their own...even before the smoking bans. This was becoming more of a trend.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:37 PM

Have you heard about the "World Day of Defiance" concerning smoking bans?

England's smoking ban is set to go into effect on July 1st and pub and business owners are planning to openly defy the ban and still allow smoking.

They are networking with groups and businesses in other countries to protest smoking bans...on a worldwide basis.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:40 PM

22 posts, read 71,364 times
Default Let's restrict alcohol

Alcohol kills more people than smoking both indirectly and directly. It is a factor in most homicides.

Somehow I don't think anyone is going to get around to further restricting alcohol or putting one dollar a drink taxes on it in the foreseeable future.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:03 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,431,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakimaBelle View Post
Alcohol kills more people than smoking both indirectly and directly. It is a factor in most homicides.

Somehow I don't think anyone is going to get around to further restricting alcohol or putting one dollar a drink taxes on it in the foreseeable future.
Then we should ban it, and ban cars ... they kill people. Guns kill people so we'll ban those too. Wold animals kill people, so ban those and the biggest killer of all ... death! Ban death, then everyone will be happy.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:59 AM

7 posts, read 22,379 times
I thoroughly agree. If we outlawed everything that harmed us we'd have no freedom at all. I also read a national columnist who said a national research co. did an extensive 20 yr. research on second hand smoke & found that by removing other common risk factors for cancer, ashma, etc. that the difference isn't even high enough to be a noticeable factor.
Ashland is smoke free & even considering making the park such to kiss Fred Jackson's you know what. One restaurant had to lay off four workers, shoneys (once packed) looks like it's closed & restaurants immediately out of town are now packed at all times. Those pushing the ban only tested the non-smoking area & in surveys of your opinion also wanted to know if you went to church & how often. Talk about doing research to fit your bias.
The smoking ban in Ashland is like using a water gun to put out the towering inferno. Between AK Steel, Marathon & various other industries our air quality is pathetic. The very first day I had the fan in front of my new window screen it left an outline in black on it.
I don't believe Ky. has the highest rate of smokers either. We have the cheapest cigs (often cheaper than Indian Reservations) & border 5 states. So common sense tells you they are coming here to buy them.
By calling for higher taxes to make people quit we've played right into the government's hands. Has anyone seen the revenue from the taxes & big tobacco used to provide the tools for people to quit or provide health care to those who paid it all these years? I sure haven't.
If they care so much about our health why are private org. exempt or as in Louis. only Churchill Downs? Don't they care about the health of the rich?
But above all how many others rights are going to be taken before we say ENOUGH. That idiot Bloomberg in NY banned transfats. Why not fine those who wear their perfume too strong? I've gotten extremely ill immediately around them. Yet I've never cried & whined for a perfume ban.
We need Freddy The Freeloader (Red Skelton) again to remind us all that our freedoms end where another's begin.
I can understand a ban in hospitals, federal buildings & things like that because eventually everyone has to go into one. But restaurants & hotels there is always a choice and if someone is so ashmatic that passing by someone in the park smoking in the open air sets it off then their illness is way too bad to be living any where but the desert towns of Arizona. Definitely not Ky.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:53 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,757,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Hooray for the bans. I hate smoking. I hate the fumes. I hate the health hazards etc. . . The more I think about it though the more it worries me. If they ban smoking (which makes 100% complete sense because the second hand smoke is a known proven lethal immediate health hazard) what is next? If it isnt taken as a snow ball effect and you simply look at smoking bans in isolation, then they are awesome. If you look at them in the context of removing freedom - not so good. It is a difficult trade off and easier to make with smoking because the damage is right there as soon as someone lights up.
Boy if that isn't the truth....
But another question comes up..explain to me why we still grow tobacco and manufacture it..could it possibly be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies