Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 04:12 PM

72 posts, read 279,489 times

Advertisements

Why are black people so homophobic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 04:14 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,168 times
This has not been my experience. What do you base this conclusion on?

Old 09-25-2009, 04:26 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,775 times
It's not a black thing. It's a poor, look-at-me-I'm-so-manly thing. You see it when you observe the scum of every culture, ie: inner city Hispanics, white trash.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:31 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
I don't see it as a black / white / brown thing.

The Hispanic gay community has I believe the hardest time coming out.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:03 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,044,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I don't see it as a black / white / brown thing.

The Hispanic gay community has I believe the hardest time coming out.
Right on target - my son is not only gay but Hispanic (dad is Hispanic). In a Latino culture there does seem to be the whole Macho thing going on, but not one family member on my son's father's side has a problem with his orientation. Did come out to me first and 4 more years to have the courage to come out to his dad, but when he did the entire family was accepting.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:14 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
We had an agent in our office from Puerto Rico and he really struggled with being gay. He said he would be kicked out of his family if they ever found out. What a shame.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:25 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,044,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We had an agent in our office from Puerto Rico and he really struggled with being gay. He said he would be kicked out of his family if they ever found out. What a shame.
Yeah it is - and a story I hear often. Simply cannot understand that mentality and am so grateful that not only my son's paternal family accepted his orientation but mine did as well - 'cause there's plenty of white homophobs too. Sad

Old 09-25-2009, 05:26 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times

You could easily find books on the subject of homophobia in the black community and specifically the black church.

At the same time, I don't think black people are more homophobic than the general population. However they might be more willing to express their homophobia.

At the same time, you have to look at where the majority of blacks are concentrate-the south. The south in general is not a bastion of acceptance and tolerance for gays and lesbians. You have your little pockets here and there but in general, the south is not someplace you'd describe as gay friendly.

I think you could attribute a lot of the homophobia in the black community to religion but a lot of homophobia in lots of communities can be attributed to religion.

I'm black and I'm a lesbian. There is a good little majority of black youth that really don't care about if someone is gay or not. In general young people are more accepting of gay people and gay rights, across racial lines.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:33 PM

72 posts, read 279,489 times
I was listening to Tom Joyner this morning, Tom had a gay black minister as a guest. The people who texted or called in were very hostile toward gays in general. I get sick of hearing "God made Adam and Eve" not "Adam and Steve". I think whites are more accepting of gays; blacks use religion as an excuse to hate gays.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:33 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times
Here are some links that might be of use to you OP:

Box Turtle Bulletin » Why Can’t We Talk About Black Homophobia?

TAPPED Archive | The American Prospect

Homophobia in Black Churches Discussed :: EDGE Washington

http://www.yale.edu/divinity/publica...ng06/12_17.pdf

Some people have speculated the homophobia has roots back to the slavery days. The master would sometimes rape the male slaves (maybe to prove how much power he had over his slaves, to humiliate them, etc.) and some saw anal sex as an indication of homosexuality. Thus some blacks may have seen their masters as gay...and thus the hatred of gays began.

Something else dealing with slavery: blacks may have seen homosexuality as detrimental to the race. "Two people of the same sex can't procreate. We need more blacks and homosexuality does not help with that goal." So on and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies