Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
The US is falling behind in battery technology to the Chinese and the Germans. Investment like this is a great idea.
I disagree. Giving that type of money to a US company would be better.
The US is behind because we entered the race late but there is a rush to catch up so we don't become dependent on "foreign" made batteries.

I think US money for investment should go to US companies first IMHO.
Gore should have went to the "home" country for a loan.

People have to start putting the US first. This is directly related to Obama's proposals to get the US less oil-dependent.

Worldwide race to make better batteries | csmonitor.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 07:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Yes. Of course. Only a teabagger would be opposed. And we all know what their opinions are worth.

The US is falling behind in battery technology to the Chinese and the Germans. Investment like this is a great idea.

Again, giving a Cheney-backed company billions in order to occupy Iraq was stupid as stupid can get. Moving America up the technology curve is a great use of our money.
Haha, its always funny to see a poster flip flop, based upon who is cutting and receiving the check..
Quote:
Agreed. I protested against the bailout bill - I even made the local news
You protested loaning money for the bailout bill which went to american firms, but have no problem loaning money to Gore, so they can send the money out of the country..

Ooooh I just cant stop laughing over hypocrites on CD....

Last edited by pghquest; 09-25-2009 at 07:42 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 07:34 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,199,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I disagree. Giving that type of money to a US company would be better
Since when is a loan considered "giving"?

Edit: see post #8

Old 09-25-2009, 07:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post

You know the the other poster meant "loan", but regardless, under what legal authority does the Government have to provide loans to private businesses and compete with private investment firms and banks?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:54 PM

30,069 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
While I'm confident algore will have one sitting in his drive way soon, I seriously doubt the average joe in the US will. Oh, yeah, and this is my, your, our tax money going out of the country! I guess this is alright, though, as the US citizen is going to get a return on his money, eh?

Gore-Backed Car Firm Gets Large U.S. Loan - WSJ.com
Pretty soon there will be billions given to ACORN to help Al Gore find Man-Bear-Pig.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post

Sorry..I did mean loan..not a freebie-handout. It was more of a "US first" post.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:58 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Tesla Motors - High performance electric vehicles. Available now.

0-60 in 3.9 seconds

If they could build one for $40,000 I'd be driving one

Last edited by Boompa; 09-25-2009 at 09:11 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 07:59 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I disagree. Giving that type of money to a US company would be better.

I think US money for investment should go to US companies first IMHO.
Gore should have went to the "home" country for a loan.

People have to start putting the US first. This is directly related to Obama's proposals to get the US less oil-dependent.

Worldwide race to make better batteries | csmonitor.com
Did you read?

Fisker is an American company.

Tesla Motors is an American company.

The government money is going to American companies. But they happen to build their cars in Finland (Fisker) and the UK (Tesla Roadster). Tesla is planning a factory in California for their model S, which is a sedan priced around $50,000. The Roadster is built by the UK's Lotus because it shares a frame with that car, and Lotus already has a factory built.

I imagine it takes an enormous amount of money for a new car company to come into creation and actually roll out a production model. Of course they would try to get an assist from existing manufacturers rather than building everything from scratch. Even Lotus in their early days used a lot of Ford parts in their first cars - not just engines, but even marker lights and other body parts.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Jobs for Finns and friends.Why not just give toyota and honda loans and other that actually build vehicles and have plants here. More special interest money going to poltical firneds,

Old 09-25-2009, 08:29 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
Quote:
Not going to happen in the day. Only at night - in your dreams.
I know...sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies