Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:23 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
The "new rulers" have only one thing in mind: honor the Constitution.
Yea, right. LOL. That's what the central American coupies always have in mind.

We will see who wins the 'free and democratic' elections and how fair and honest they were. Somehow I already know who is going to win.

Zelaya screwed up playing his games with the poll and and gave the coupies an excuse to execute the coup.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-28-2009 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 02:40 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Zelaya is a communist who broke the Honduran law and constitution by trying to stay in power.

America (read Obama) should have told him and the Hondurans that Zelaya was persona non grata and that he needed to shut up and go away.

I dont know if the guy in charge now will turn into a dictator but he is on the record as saying he will only be president until elections take place, that he will not run, and that he cannot ever be president again because of the Honduran Constitution.

NO ONE in America ought to be supporting Zelaya. NO ONE.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Zelaya is a communist who broke the Honduran law and constitution by trying to stay in power.

America (read Obama) should have told him and the Hondurans that Zelaya was persona non grata and that he needed to shut up and go away.

I dont know if the guy in charge now will turn into a dictator but he is on the record as saying he will only be president until elections take place, that he will not run, and that he cannot ever be president again because of the Honduran Constitution.

NO ONE in America ought to be supporting Zelaya. NO ONE.
His opposition struck when Zelaya was planning to arrange an opinion poll (yes, he was screwing around), which in itself would not have been against the law, but his opposition says he was trying to change the constitution. So, there are two sides to the story. Well, he did not change the constitution, so the coup was somewhat premature, was it not? Perhaps they should have waited until a crime had been committed. I can almost guarantee it that the upcoming elections will be a joke and the country will end up with another dictator.

Let's face it: the proposed poll was nothing but an excuse to oust the guy and take control of the country. There is nothing unclear about that.

I don't support the guy, but I find it silly that the hard-right in US are so eager to support the coupies ONLY to disagree with Obama. If Obama has supported the coupies, the hard-right would have supported Zelaya. It is beyond ridiculous, and now the coupies already put a ban on freedom of speech, and the far-right still supports them.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:38 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
His opposition struck when Zelaya was planning to arrange an opinion poll (yes, he was screwing around), which in itself would not have been against the law, but his opposition says he was trying to change the constitution. So, there are two sides to the story. Well, he did not change the constitution, so the coup was somewhat premature, was it not? Perhaps they should have waited until a crime had been committed. I can almost guarantee it that the upcoming elections will be a joke and the country will end up with another dictator.

Let's face it: the proposed poll was nothing but an excuse to oust the guy and take control of the country. There is nothing unclear about that.

I don't support the guy, but I find it silly that the hard-right in US are so eager to support the coupies ONLY to disagree with Obama. If Obama has supported the coupies, the hard-right would have supported Zelaya. It is beyond ridiculous, and now the coupies already put a ban on freedom of speech, and the far-right still supports them.

The Law Library of Congress (and I) disagree with you - and Obama.

HONDURAS: CONSTITUTIONAL LAW ISSUES

I oppose Obama in this case simply because he is on the wrong side of the law.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
The Law Library of Congress (and I) disagree with you - and Obama.

HONDURAS: CONSTITUTIONAL LAW ISSUES

I oppose Obama in this case simply because he is on the wrong side of the law.
Well, there you go. The document proves they used the poll issue as an excuse to toss him out. That is what the US, EU and the rest of the western world does not agree with. Imagine if the US Senate came up with some made up issue to impeach the president. Not because he broke the law, but BECAUSE THEY WANT HIM OUT AND THEY HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO DO IT. All they needed was some issue, any issue. Of course it won't happen here, but it happens in countries like Honduras where tossing out presidents and organizing coup d'etat is practically the national pass time.

Like I said, if Obama had supported the coup, the far-right in US would support the ex-president. It's sillier than hell.

Besides, abolishing civil rights such as freedom of speech and freedom to gather is also against the Honduran constitution. Yet, that is exactly what the new "president" did this morning. If you are so concerned about the Honduran constitution, then how can you possibly condone that, while being outraged about another president wanting to run an opinon poll?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-28-2009 at 07:20 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 09:04 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
The Law Library of Congress has determined the deposition of Zelaya was legal under the Honduran constitution. http://www2.nationalreview.com/dest/...9aa0c5dd82.pdf

Skim it quick before this administration disappears it.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
A coup and a suspension of civil rights in...a Latin American country? Honestly, I never saw that coming.

Oh, excuse me...my sarcasm alarm has just started ringing.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
BS - Free presidential elections will take place November 29. All political parties can participate, including Zelaya's.

As they have said since removing Zelaya, free elections will be had on Nov 29 to choose a new president. The "new rulers" have only one thing in mind: honor the Constitution. Their Congress, Supreme Court and Army all agree that Zelaya's referendum was unconstitutional and all agreed to exile him and hold elections in Nov. If it was a coup, it was a Constitutional Coup and a win for democracy.
I have a beachfront property in Colorado to sell you!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Look at what the current "democratic" regieme is doing and their excuses:

Honduras Cracks Down On Zelaya Supporters : NPR

The closures came after the government declared a state of emergency Sunday night, giving security forces broad powers to arrest people, ban public gatherings and curtail freedom of the press.

Micheletti says he is not going to tolerate media outlets that are irresponsible.

I guess FOX better recall its crew from there.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:59 PM

183 posts, read 115,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think the support for the coup was based solely on the fact that Obama opposed it (the entire western world did). You know how some people are: they'll oppose Obama no matter what the issue is.
The Honduran Constitution states that a person may serve one term a president and then never serve as president again; furthermore, the Honduran Constitution may not be amended. This was done in 1976 to prevent a dictatorship taking control as is common in South America. When Zelaya attempted to hold a referendum to change the Constitution to allow him to serve again he violated their Constitution. The Supreme Court of Honduras ordered the military to remove Zelaya from the country to prevent a coup.

I have to admit that I'm more than just a little jealous of the way they honored their Constitution and behaved as true statesmen when this person tried to subvert their system for his own benefit. I'm am also ashamed by the behavior of our government embracing someone who was clearly trying to destroy the Honduran democracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies