Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 09:26 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Regarding Asia, that's "official" time in school. These kids also go to before school and after school classes.
Have you seen the huge multi-billion dollar growth in the tutoring/learning center industry? Score!, Huntington, Sylvan, Kumon, etc.? American students spend time in those 'schools' outside of class. That hasn't yet been accounted for in the comparison.

We're still at the point where American students spend more hours in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Have you seen the huge multi-billion dollar growth in the tutoring/learning center industry? Score!, Huntington, Sylvan, Kumon, etc.? American students spend time in those 'schools' outside of class. That hasn't yet been accounted for in the comparison.

We're still at the point where American students spend more hours in school.
I've seen those ads, but I don't know anyone who has done them.

ETA: In some Asian countries, it's virtually 100% of the kids who do this.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:32 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
Personally I would rather all the brats be in there year round. I ain't there anymore, so I don't give a rat's ass. During summer, I want to be able to chill in the morning without underage fools running around my places of enjoyment.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:42 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Regarding Asia, that's "official" time in school. These kids also go to before school and after school classes.
Such as???

Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I thought this was the most interesting part of the article:

Kids in the U.S. spend more hours in school (1,146 instructional hours per year) than do kids in the Asian countries that persistently outscore the U.S. on math and science tests — Singapore (903), Taiwan (1,050), Japan (1,005) and Hong Kong (1,013). That is despite the fact that Taiwan, Japan and Hong Kong have longer school years (190 to 201 days) than does the U.S. (180 days).

Kind of negates a lot of the thinking behind Obama's sentiments. Obviously, there isn't a direct relationship between more time in school and better performance/knowledge.
I'd ask you keep something in mind when looking at those numbers; the countries you mentioned DO NOT put up with the trouble makers in school. There is an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT decorum in the classroom than in many schools in the United States. The .... "learning environment" is different.

Also, they do not "integrate" kids with special needs into every class like US schools are prone to do. There are classes of "slow learners", classes for the disabled etc.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:55 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'd ask you keep something in mind when looking at those numbers; the countries you mentioned DO NOT put up with the trouble makers in school. There is an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT decorum in the classroom than in many schools in the United States. The .... "learning environment" is different.

Also, they do not "integrate" kids with special needs into every class like US schools are prone to do. There are classes of "slow learners", classes for the disabled etc.
Good points - thanks!

Old 09-30-2009, 10:04 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

That gets to the heart of my issue, focusing on the length of the school day and increasing the total "contact time" seems to be missing the critical point. The "quality" and "content" of the time spent learning seems much more important to me than maximizing "contact time".

Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Good points - thanks!
Thank You!

Another issue of note particularly here in my area (and may very well be elsewhere - I don't know) is the language barrier issue.

Non English speakers are placed in classes taught in English. Teachers spend an inordinate amount of time working with these kids trying to help them - I give the teachers an enormous amount of credit for their dedication and patience. But it can have an adverse impact not only on the quality of instruction but, the amount of material a teacher can get to in a given day / period.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:31 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
I don't mind year around schooling, but what I do mind is the article I read Obama was talking about adding more hours to the school day. I know for parents that work it may save them daycare costs or their kids being home alone. I am blessed enough to be able to be stay-at-home Mom who is very involved in my kids schooling and I wouldn't want to see their day extended.

Obama even said it would help keep children out of trouble, that I don't agree with, it is not the schools responsibility to keep my kids out of trouble it is my responsiblity.

I can't see the teacher's union agreeing to this, there is already a shortage of teachers and unless they are going to significantly raise their pay to make up for all the hours they would be required to spend teaching, I could see some teachers leaving their profession. Another question is, who is going to pay for this? Alot of states and school districts are already stretched so thin, I doubt they could come up with the extra money needed. We all know how thin our federal gov'ts budget is stretched, so what would have to be cut to fund this? I think Obama has some good ideas but doesn't have good plans on how to pay for the implementation of them.

Last edited by ajzjmsmom; 09-30-2009 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: correct spelling

Old 09-30-2009, 10:33 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I don't mind year around schooling, but what I do mind is the article I read Obama was talking about adding more hours to the school day. I know for parents that work it may save them daycare costs or their kids being home alone. I am blessed enough to be able to be stay-at-home Mom who is very involved in my kids schooling and I wouldn't want to see their day extended.

Obama even said it would help keep children out of trouble, that I don't agree with, it is not the schools responsibility to keep my kids out of trouble it is my responsiblity.

I can't see the teacher's union agreeing to this, there is already a shortage of teachers and unless they are going to significantly raise their pay to make up for all the hours they would be required to spend teaching, I could see some teachers leaving their profession. Another question is, who is going to pay for this? Alot of states and school districts are already streched so thin, I doubt they could come up with the extra money needed. We all know how thin our federal gov'ts budget is stretched, so what would have to be cut to fund this? I think Obama has some good ideas but doesn't have good plans on how to pay for the implementation of them.
I don't agree with extra hours added to the school day either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies