Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
If it's not a choice, how do you explain ex-homosexuals? Thousands of them leave that life behind and go straight.
they are lying or were never gay to begin with

Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
And I would bet that all of them are actually bi-sexual and chose to express the homosexual side before then choosing to express the heterosexual side of their natures. Bi-sexuals are the only people who can actually 'choose' whether they are gay or straight.

Oh, and discrimination is a lot more than 'disagreement'. Check out the dictionary definitions of both words.
i agree with your post, but i think it should be made clear that no one chooses their orientation. bisexual people are bisexual, not gay or straight. they can choose whether to act on their attractions in individual cases, but they can't choose who they're attracted to.

a lot of people seem to confuse preference with acting on that preference. i like strawberries and dislike anchovies, but if i choose for some reason to eat anchovies exclusively from now on and never eat another strawberry, that doesn't mean i now like anchovies and not strawberries. or if i like both but choose to eat an anchovy it doesn't mean i don't like strawberries.

there's also a false dichotomy set up of chosen vs. born that way. if it's proven someday that homosexuality isn't inborn, that still doesn't mean it's chosen, any more than people choose to be attracted to blondes or brunettes, skinny or chunky people, brad pitt or marc anthony, etc.

and i agree with the original premise of the thread - even if homosexuality is 100% a choice, there's still no good reason to discriminate against gay people. you can think it's wrong all you want, but gay people deserve to live their lives without harassment or violence, and to have all the rights that straight people have.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Okay, so that's a false headline.

But even if it were true, does it make it right to discriminate against gays?

Just food for thought...

crap...forgot to put a poll.
hasn't this subject been driven into the ground???

Nita

Old 12-28-2009, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 814 times
Default gay is natural!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Well, being honest, it is a little unnatural. If everyone were gay then there would be no one left to give birth to gay people. But see, I don't care either. I believe all Americans should receive equal rights, no matter what they choose to do, or how they are born as long as no one else is harmed.

Homosexuality is not un natural, not even a little bit. it's natural to be aroused, attracted, infatuated with or even fall in love with someone of the same sex. Not everyone is, but that's the beauty of being human or a breather on this earth. Not everyone is meant to reproduce, that's part of the natural balance of life. to say homosexuality is not natural, is to say homosexuals are not human. but we know that they are human, and if they are human....then does that not make their behavior a natural occurrence.

you cannot decide what is natural or un natural because you don't agree with their behavior.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,399,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
If it's not a choice, how do you explain ex-homosexuals? Thousands of them leave that life behind and go straight.
I've never heard of an "ex-homosexual". Got any links showing or interviewing some?

Old 12-28-2009, 10:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Here's my opinion: I'm sick of judgmental people who think they know better than all of the researchers who have studied human sexuality for decades. Since you refuse to accept science, maybe you should mind your own god-damned business and go try to have some wonderful heterosexual sex. Good luck. I bet you'll need it.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:51 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Here's my opinion: I'm sick of judgmental people who think they know better than all of the researchers who have studied human sexuality for decades. Since you refuse to accept science, maybe you should mind your own god-damned business and go try to have some wonderful heterosexual sex. Good luck. I bet you'll need it.
Nah, they're way too busy obsessing over other people's sex lives.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:54 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
My theory is that every person contains a variety of sexual preferences in varying degrees. The combination of heterosexual, homosexual, and asexual that each develops determines sexual orientation. So a predominantly asexual person like myself is unlikely to be sexually aroused. However, I have at times found interest in certain girls and looked at some guys as attractive. If a homosexual turns straight all that one does is turn off the homosexual desire and let the heterosexual feelings develop. This can happen and the benefit is that the individual can then find a heterosexual mate to produce offspring.

As for discrimination I have never seen the reason to treat homosexuals in a bad way. While many of them are irritating and petty in personality, this does not justify exclusion or violence. Homophobic people are those with homosexual desires.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
While many of them are irritating and petty in personality, this does not justify exclusion or violence.
Thanks for the anti-gay commentary. I'm sure some gays find many heterosexuals to be irritating and petty too.

Whatever.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:58 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
What's sad is that anybody arguing against gays is on the same level of those arguing for the confederate flag. It is nothing more than bigots who know they are wrong but are stubborn dumb. Sexual orientation is a non-issue among the educated & youth. It makes me laugh that some posters are so old fashioned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies