Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:04 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I suppose Georgia could fit in the hick state category. It is certainly located well within the Bible belt.

A parent in Gwinnett county did challenge the Harry Potter books but was not successful. She wanted them out of the school libraries and perhaps restricted in public libraries.

Other than that those that wanted to read the books read the books and those that had conflicts did not.
You would be suprised. There are a lot of Evangelicals that don't necessarily feel it promotes witchcraft but that it contains material that isn't suitable for children. JK Rowling and Harry Potter is so popular that these Evangelicals are too embarrased to speak out and admit they are against these books. When the first movie came out, the Evangelical movement came out and there were protests against these books. Since then, that outrage has settled down. It was big in places like Oklahoma and Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 05:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Is there even a reason she should be considered for the MoF?
That is what I was wandering.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:43 PM

500 posts, read 910,182 times
That sums up the Republican Party, they think creative people are evil and they dont wanna upset the invisible man in the sky.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:51 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dickman View Post
That sums up the Republican Party, they think creative people are evil and they dont wanna upset the invisible man in the sky.
Of all the dumb things I've read on C-D, this qualifies as the dumbest.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:54 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Good god almighty. What complete and utter fools! And I don't know if I mean the idiot evangelicals who believe witches are real or the politicians (republicans) who kiss the evangelical azz for another term.
Sick.

I don't know - maybe being able to believe in god makes one more vulnerable to belief in things like witches or vampires? It baffles me. Hell, I read the last HP book aloud while camping to my kids including my then 5 & 3 year olds. We all had a blast and the youngest were able to discern between fantasy and reality.
A month or so ago, I was listening to Laura Ingraham and she had this moron Roy Arroyo on who was bi*tching about the Twilight books/movies and how they promote vampirism!!! Like that was an actual 'lifestyle choice'! These people kill me with their rank stupidity, but scarily enough they just may kill us all if they are ever allowed anymore political power then they already have. These idiots believe in the rapture, and I am quite sure that they would be happy to launch nukes if they thought that would hurry Jesus along.

Oh, and I am a conservative and a proud refugee from the republican/evangelical party.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:40 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You would be suprised. There are a lot of Evangelicals that don't necessarily feel it promotes witchcraft but that it contains material that isn't suitable for children. JK Rowling and Harry Potter is so popular that these Evangelicals are too embarrased to speak out and admit they are against these books. When the first movie came out, the Evangelical movement came out and there were protests against these books. Since then, that outrage has settled down. It was big in places like Oklahoma and Texas
I know there was a 'hue and cry' over Wicca, witchcraft and magic v Christianity.

There was plenty of discussion online, too.

Unless I knew who received the MOF award instead of J.K. Rowling I can't speculate further.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:43 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Thanks to J.K. Rowling, a whole generation of kids were re-introduced to the joys of reading.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I think her books are great, but seriously? The MOF?

Still, if the reason she didn't get it is really about witchcraft nonsense, that is flat out lame.

I thought it was up to the president to bestow it.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dickman View Post
Right. I suppose you speak for all republicans. Is there a medal for total malarkey and balderdash?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:02 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think her books are great, but seriously? The MOF?

Still, if the reason she didn't get it is really about witchcraft nonsense, that is flat out lame.

I thought it was up to the president to bestow it.
George Bush was president at the time it could/should have been awarded and what how he made this decision is anyone's guess.

The First Lady was once a librarian and from what I know of her views she wouldn't have vetoed Rowling over 'cultural issues'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies