Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes 22 28.95%
No 54 71.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Whats your take?
I didn't bother to vote, cause I don't think it makes a difference. Many things make people happy, I don't think someones feeling on religion is the only thing. There are many Christians, Jews, muslims, etc that are happy and many that are not, the same with atheists.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 03:55 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,443,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Highly sensitive, aren't you?

Nope just point out the obvious.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:24 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,643,400 times
I've found that the Atheist/Agnostics I know are far more accepting, happy and well rounded than the religious types I know... except of course my boyfriends Buddhist parents. But I think we're referring to the Abrahamic religions which are more prevalent in the US.

Of course, the congregations in my area are self centered and don't help the community at large, unless of course the person in need is part of their church. I've used this comparison numerous times, but the 4H clubs in my county put in FAR more work in the community than every single church combined. And the 4H clubs are made up of kids from 5-19 years old, plus the adult leaders...

It may be different in other areas, but this is what I see. I'm a very happy Atheist and so are many of my friends. We don't have to deal with the pressure of always being told we're sinners regardless of the good life we live, so that's kind of nice

Old 10-03-2009, 05:38 PM

34 posts, read 61,859 times
Atheists tend to be a sniveling breed. I love listening to them try to prove literally nothing for hours. Which begs the question... what is their incentive to disprove religion if the truly believe there is no repercussion for their own faith? Fact is many of them are unsure of their faith... but ya know, thats the price for trying to keep up with the rest of the herd.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:47 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,486,496 times
I'm happy...

Old 10-03-2009, 06:16 PM

11,272 posts, read 11,040,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiarTJ View Post
Atheists tend to be a sniveling breed. I love listening to them try to prove literally nothing for hours. Which begs the question... what is their incentive to disprove religion if the truly believe there is no repercussion for their own faith? Fact is many of them are unsure of their faith... but ya know, thats the price for trying to keep up with the rest of the herd.
Well said! In my 35 years on this planet I have personally known 2 athiests/agnostics. Since joining CD not long ago, I have witnessed hundreds of their posts. This site is almost like a flystrip for them. Where you are wrong though, is that it is not about THEIR faith, as much as a lack therof. They seem like angry people. It is human nature to be selfish and self centered, so I cannot say that I don't understand the allure of their way of life. I mean, who in their right mind would want to have to adhere to the rules of a higher power, lest burn for eternity, when they can be their own god. It is definitely the easy way out. Humans are like water. There is a reason it naturally flows downhill.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:20 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,141,522 times
Atheists find happiness in not fearing a higher power and answering to no one. But deep down, Atheists fear the unknown, which is the constant nagging in the back of their minds that maybe...just maybe...those foolish Christians and their mythical God are right.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:36 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,443,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Atheists find happiness in not fearing a higher power and answering to no one.
I don't fear God. I love Him and thank Him for all I have. I know that He loves me and wants what is best for me but I also know that if I screw up he will be there to help me through it.

Quote:
But deep down, Atheists fear the unknown, which is the constant nagging in the back of their minds that maybe...just maybe...those foolish Christians and their mythical God are right.
There is nothing foolish about it. Think about it like this. What do you have to lose by believing?

Old 10-03-2009, 07:02 PM

18 posts, read 11,250 times
Non-religious are far more likely to suffer from depression, use drugs/alcohol, see therapists, take therapeutical drugs, be single, have less kids, have STDs, commit violent crimes.....one look at Mormon Utah could easily prove this. Sure, they have their problems too, nobody denies that.....but the stats don't lie either. They seem far less miserable than the average aging liberal hipster renting a 700 sf apartment in a place like San Francisco.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:11 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Atheists are self centered people who tend to do just fine as long as their world is not upset by religious folks.

Religious people are not as concerned about their world as much as Atheists
and tend to get involved in programs to help others, including feeding the hungry.

If I were in need of something I would definately depend more on a religious person than an Atheist.
I disagree completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies