Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:06 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,221 times

Advertisements

I came across this today and it sounds like this issue. It starts on page 8.
http://api.ning.com/files/tKERkewvh8LkrKGTd6TJ30Mcj6ALSlQ1LxSqe3K3FbcndnSUOD rIk-RUlZ4ise0fwEhqPd*KjoQgTDM-7qMcvfAki26MR88V/DE...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 12:27 AM

858 posts, read 1,501,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
All of the red area is a lot ! What gives the lawmakers the idea that they should tell us where to do what and when . We can't ride a bike on dirt ? Thats wrong . This is American?
This is much better and VERY detailed. It actually breaks it down in sections, as well..

Utah Wilderness Coalition: Citizen's Proposal for Wilderness in Utah

Old 10-06-2009, 07:56 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Those mountain bikes, and off road vehicles are extremely destructive to the environment. I have no issue with eliminating them from public lands.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:39 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Those mountain bikes, and off road vehicles are extremely destructive to the environment. I have no issue with eliminating them from public lands.
And you base that on what personel experience?

Motorized recreation is one of the few user groups that actually pays their own way in the use of backcountry areas. This is in the form of vehicle registrations (ORV tags/etc), and off-highway fuel tax paid. This helps fund trail maintenance and trail head construction (parking areas/restrooms), which are utilized by all user groups. In addition, most ORV clubs are active in both trail construction and maintenance, as well as trash cleanup. In my experience with both ORV and hiking trails, I see more trash on hiking trails, hikers seem to be too lazy to clean up their own junk, let alone carry out someone elses. This even extends far off trails in deep forests, to places only hunters typically venture. As a hunter, this last one really offends me. I always carry garbage bags on my quad and clean up junk I find. With regard to trail related damage, on a per user bases, horses are probably the worst. A horse weighs what, 1200 lbs, and concentrates that weight over a very small area, acellerating erosion in sensitive areas. A typical quad weighs 600 lbs, has large, low pressure tires that distribute weight over a much larger area.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:58 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Can't they make separate trails for people who mountain bike? Why do walkers and bikers have to use the same trails?
Laura, you're asking a fair question, and there is a need to minimize conflicts between various user groups. This includes hikers, mountain bikers, dirt bike/atv/utv riders, snowmobiliers and cross country skiers. In my state alone, we have in excess of 4 million acres of designated wilderness. As such, no motorized or mechanized (bicycle) use is permitted by law. So, users are confined into a smaller area, increasing conflict. On the other hand, there is still plenty of acerage available to provide seperation.

As an ORV rider, I agree that there are places they should not be allowed, out of respect for other forest users. Many of our rivers and creeks are public and are popular camping spots for many users. A ATV trail should not run right along the creek bank for example (access to and from a specific camp site is a different story). Around here, I'd estimate that 90% plus of the non-motorized use of the land occurs very near bodies of water. The vast majority of our national forests are mountains, and cover very large areas. The vast majority of the users of these lands (away from waterways) is ORV use of one form or another, with the exception of hunting season. I have passed probably 100+ hiking trail heads in the last 2-3 years, I have seen a vehicle parked at ONE!. Areas near town (and off limits to ORVs btw) are another story, more hikers there.

In the ranger district where I live, there are 35 miles of developed trails open to ATV use. And these trails are used regularly. There are also some 1000-2000 miles of designated hiking and horse trails...see my comments above about trail heads. Given the vast preponderance of trails where other users are allowed and ORVs are prohibited, conflicts should be minimal/non-existant. Yet some non-ORV users choose to use the few multiple use trails open to ATVs and contrive conflict.

I would support more of what you say, designation of discrete trail systems supported by different user groups, in proportion to the amount of users and miles covered by each group. The additional problem is funding. While ORVs pay their own way via registrations, orv tags and off-highway fuel tax, very few areas collect fees from hikers, horsemen or cross country skiers, and I'm not sure about mountain bikers. Hunters are the only other user group that seems to pay their way, yet use very few designated trails.

One of the issues we face in the winter time is that cross country skiers choose to use snowmobile trails that have been nicely packed by the snowmobiles, rather than the vast majority of the forest open to them. Yet then they complain when a sled uses the trail. Some people are just ignorant.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:13 AM

97 posts, read 220,285 times
This guy ( Rep. Maurice Hinchey [D-NY22] ) is beating a dead horse.

He has introduced this same bill every 2 years since 1995

The rest of his sponsored bills are really not noteworthy. Wonder why his constituents keep re-electing him.

Glad to see some groups are fighting it off....keep up the good work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies