Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:51 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I know, the amount of people is what kills me. I wouldn't have a problem w/a ranger, I'd actually like to talk to them & get their point of view on things.
I most enjoy being alone to enjoy Nature, hence why I like to be away from rangers. That's also why I always go off trail and find a secluded place when camping, rather than the developed campgrounds. There's nothing more calming than spending some time on a mountainside alone with a nice view, or by a mountain stream. As much as I disagree with the strict preservationists (the do nothing approach to managing land) and consider myself more in the conservationist camp, John Muir hit the nail on the head when it comes to what being alone with Nature can do for a person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 01:07 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,289,472 times
Since there is no control over the damage that bikers do to ecosystems, and since they can't be trusted to act responsibly on their own, all motorized vehicle access should be denied. Sorry, but your desire for recreation doesn't trump the health of the land.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:16 PM

858 posts, read 1,503,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Since there is no control over the damage that bikers do to ecosystems, and since they can't be trusted to act responsibly on their own, all motorized vehicle access should be denied. Sorry, but your desire for recreation doesn't trump the health of the land.
So ignorant.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:22 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
The same could be said for hikers. It's a sad commentary on humans but wherever people are, there will be vandalism, trash, etc. Vehicles have nothing to do with it.

The land is owned by the people. The people have a right to use it, including the disabled who can't walk for miles. You can't punish innocent people for wrongdoers' actions, that's a basic foundation of our legal system.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:27 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,128,951 times
Even though I like the idea of the bill I don't at all like the government telling the people what they can't do. Less government is always best . I think they are overstepping the power the founders intended.

BTW , does anyone have a link to a map of the area?

Old 10-05-2009, 01:30 PM

Small, but you get the idea...

http://www.suwa.org/images/content/pagebuilder/30117.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-05-2009, 02:11 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,128,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
Small, but you get the idea...

http://www.suwa.org/images/content/pagebuilder/30117.jpg (broken link)

TY its hard to see , is it all of the red area ?

Old 10-05-2009, 02:13 PM

yes, it is.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:14 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I don't understand why some people in my state think they should have the right to leave tire tracks across every square inch of the land. EVERYWHERE that has become popular with ORVs in the state has been thoroughly trashed. Previously beautiful landscapes in Moab are now destroyed and full of trash. It's public land... some people don't mind living with a yard full of weeds, beer cans and dead pickups, but the rest of us do.

The land wont be closed to all access; get out and walk that beer belly off. Horray for wilderness, it keeps the loosers out of the backcountry!
Can't they make separate trails for people who mountain bike? Why do walkers and bikers have to use the same trails?

Old 10-05-2009, 02:18 PM

[SIZE=3]Hatch Takes Issue with Red Rock Wilderness Act[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Sponsors Neglected to Consult Utahns Who Would be Impacted, Senator Says[/SIZE] By Andrea Saul
WASHINGTON - Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) today took issue with the Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009, calling the proposed legislation a "monument to a failed approach to wilderness designation."

Addressing the House Resources Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands, Hatch called the bill, H.R. 1925, the work of special-interest groups who seem more intent on raising money than producing more wilderness. The senator further that noted none of the bill's sponsors or cosponsors is from Utah and added they have neglected to consult with Utahns, the very people who would be most impacted by legislation.

Mainstreet Business Journal - View Article
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies