Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:06 AM

89,323 posts, read 45,051,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
As much as you not wanting it to be a loss it is a loss for Obama. He got snubbed he personally went over there and we got knocked out in the 1st vote. That doesnt look good for his political capitial no matter what you wish
This wasn't about political capital; Obama's already depleted his. This was about Obama the pop star. The IOC wanted to meet Obama and get their pictures taken with him, that's all. They're done with him - he can go home now, and they'll move on to the serious business of conducting the Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,356,493 times
Why are people reveling in the fact that the Midwest lost an opportunity for people to make much needed income? It's another sad day for the American economy.

You people will really celebrate if there's a terrorist attack. Then you'll have some great message board fodder.

"Country First" my arse!

Old 10-02-2009, 10:09 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,043,782 times
What did you expect? The IOC is European dominated, and the 'arrogant Americans' showed up trying to vouch for Chicago. It would not surprise me one bit if Madrid won, although personally I am pulling for Rio. As a final word on the issue.. The last two Olympics set in the US were subject to a bombing (Atlanta) and a scandal (SLC). Does not exactly bode well when the US is trying to snatch the IOC vote for Chicago.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:10 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,491,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Helluva lot of difference between flying to Texas and Copenhagen. I wonder if the party is still on for the obamas and oprah? I say the obamas should get their butts home, take care of business HERE. Oprah can stay, however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
oprah's probably enjoying the egg that's all over her nasty face
Where is the count now?

Oh yeah, 16 and counting...

Old 10-02-2009, 10:10 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,062,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Sure. I know your kind. If it was a different city, you'd be all over it. Why do I suspect because it was the city that Obama is from, that is where the resistance comes from?
Nope, you can jump to conclusions all you want. The fact is the olympics do nothing for the city or a country. I lived in New York when they were bidding and hoped they did not get them either.

Stop assuming - you know what happens when you assume.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:11 AM

9,572 posts, read 9,887,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
My theory is that the rest of the world loves Obama and the administration, but they don't like how divisive we are as a whole when it comes to him. Half of the country doesn't even support him, and the rest of the world sees that. They know what a dictatorship is like, and for people to even compare is like an insult.
What kind of info do you have to support such a theory? Have you been to these other countries, polled them, or anything? Or just pulled it your of your...

Old 10-02-2009, 10:12 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,356,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
What did you expect? The IOC is European dominated, and the 'arrogant Americans' showed up trying to vouch for Chicago. It would not surprise me one bit if Madrid won, although personally I am pulling for Rio. As a final word on the issue.. The last two Olympics set in the US were subject to a bombing (Atlanta) and a scandal (SLC). Does not exactly bode well when the US is trying to snatch the IOC vote for Chicago.
You're right. We should have seen this coming. I'm also pulling for Rio. The place is poverty stricken and riddled with crime. The Olympics could transform some of the slums and provide jobs.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:13 AM

5,481 posts, read 12,265,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
I don't think that's accurate for most people. The Olympics would just be a boondoggle for any city and cost tax payers a hell of alot of money at a time when we're already broke.
This is exactly why I was against it. I am from Chicago, and because I love the city, I didn't think the Olympics would be good for it. Mainly because my family and friends are tired of being taxed and overtaxed and lied to about estimates, and driving down potholed streets and the city corruption. It has nothing to do with Obama.

10,503 posts, read 15,588,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Sorry I stole your thunder.
That doesn't even make sense.

1,936 posts, read 1,829,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Nine posts with no bearing on Chicago not getting the Olympic bid in an objectively stated fashion.

Mop-up in aisle five......
Thanks for the post. This is a sad day for the USA and these posters can think of nothing but blaming our president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies