Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Yes, they should completely forgive 142 37.97%
They should forgive but dont forget 183 48.93%
No, they shouldnt forgive America 49 13.10%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 03:01 PM

78,686 posts, read 60,878,962 times

Advertisements

Well since only about 10% of the slaves out of Africa during the US slave era went to the US.....you probably need to get the carribean, south american etc. nations banded together with the US for a class action forgiveness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 03:01 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,596,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ how would you like it if your ancestors
were slaves and most of your descendants
were still out here dirt poor and struggling
in a so-called free country? maybe one
day you will be a slave tho, so you get
over it.
Oh so ancestors are STILL dirt poor and struggling because of slavery. Whatever.

How about he Jewish people whom lost everything in the holocaust but their ancestors are successful today?

I am so sick of excuses why people cannot succeed and blaming everyone for their own shortfalls.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:03 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,423,572 times
^ stay sick as long as you like.
nobody will help you with those
healthcare bills, so go bankrupt
while you're at it. otherwise, don't
worry about other people's problems
that are beyond your understanding
unless you can do something positive
about it, because negativity gets you
nowhere, boy!

Old 04-02-2012, 03:10 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,482,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Most black people I know know the name of an ancestor of theirs who was a slave, just wanted to point that out. I know many names of my ancestors who were slaves, actually there are more of them than I know of my alive family members now, but I am a minor genealogist and have traced my family to the early 18th century and hope to go further back when I get back into it.
You're the exception and not the rule. Being a genealogist would make it a lot easier for you to know your ancestry than most. If more knew where they came from it might actually give them a reason to value their lives and other's lives so they can understand how they fit into the continuum of life instead of detracting from developing an understanding by clinging to the same old broken record of "we were slaves".

Quote:
But on topic (even though it is an old thread) I really don't have an misgivings to anyone about slavery in and of itself. My issue is with the continued negative perceptions of black people and the stereotypes and prejudices that black people, and especially black men face in our society. These are a direct result of slavery in America, but they are a seperate entity. And even with my particular dislike about these characteristics of our society, I don't think there is any sort of communal "forgiving" necessary. It is what it is and we will continue to move on like we always have.
As long as negative aspects of 'black American' culture are promoted in the media that's what gets reinforced in the collective consciousness of this country and the world. The result of that are the stereotypes that are seared into memory. Overcome the stereotypes and the image of 'black Americans' will be changed.

Quote:
Also wanted to add that it is funny to me that people say "get over it." We have gotten over it, we are still alive and in this country, but that doesn't mean that we should never speak of it and look at our country's past with reverence just because we are moving on. We should all learn from it, all people, not just black people, and admit our misgivings - such as the prejudices we have and the stereotypes we place on each other and realize that black people will never be looked upon collectively by our society as the majority being positive, non-criminals, decent people. I accept that because I cannot change other people's attitudes and opinions. And I believe most black people accept this just like we accept the fact that our long ago ancestors were slaves and accept the fact that even with all the up hill climbing our recent ancestors and ourselves have made, we still will be viewed collectively as a negative aspect of society.
The prejudices are a direct result of 'black American' culture reinforcing negative stereotypes. How long are some blacks going to keep clinging to and reinforcing black diction/syntax where they sound as if they were transported by time machine back to the antebellum south? Some sound as if they're 1930's tinsmiths. It reinforces negative stereotypes. I guess in some circles that's considered culturally "knowing were you come from and who you are". It's counterproductive not to speak clear American English. You can have The Cosby Show on 7 days a week, but if news reports are about the Trayvon Martins and Shawn Tysons (murdered British tourists) it's like taking two steps forward and three steps backward.

The nation has never had a national discussion about "race", and with a multi ethnic president in office, it's way overdue.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:10 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,868,085 times
Any black person in the US today who blames their problems on slavery needs mental help.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:17 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,957,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post

How about he Jewish people whom lost everything in the holocaust but their ancestors are successful today?
The Jews Didn't loose a damn thing IN AMERICA. Whatever the Jews suffered or loss happened in Germany and Eastern Europe. Furthermore, did the Jews go through slavery in America? How about Jim Crow, lynchings and every other despicable act blacks endured and suffered through in this country. So please, don't start with the Jews are better off than blacks crap.

Last edited by dorado0359; 04-02-2012 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 04-02-2012, 03:17 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,356,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Oh so ancestors are STILL dirt poor and struggling because of slavery. Whatever.

I am so sick of excuses why people cannot succeed and blaming everyone for their own shortfalls.
Your comparison of American Jews and blacks in America is extremely unfair. That said, those in the black community who use slavery as an excuse for their situation, must stop.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:26 PM

20,495 posts, read 12,423,523 times
Since bitterness never harms the one the grudge is held against, and the benefits of forgiveness always lean to the aggrieved, I think anyone who holds onto wrongs (real or perceived) only hurts themselves.

I am always for forgiveness. Forgiveness is about moving on and letting go of things that hold you back.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,282,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Any black person in the US today who blames their problems on slavery needs mental help.
Same for people that assert that blacks blame their problems on slavery.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,535,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Since bitterness never harms the one the grudge is held against, and the benefits of forgiveness always lean to the aggrieved, I think anyone who holds onto wrongs (real or perceived) only hurts themselves.

I am always for forgiveness. Forgiveness is about moving on and letting go of things that hold you back.
You nailed it! Excellent post because we all should forgive. Jesus was torturously murdered and humiliated in every way the soldiers could come up with, and He forgave.

Those that don't forgive have this hate eating away at their insides. Probably it even helps to cause disease. (dis ease) I sure suspect it does. Good grief, all slave owners are dead and gone so it's beyond pitiful that folks can't forgive that it ever happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies