Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:17 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,219,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Thank goodness. He was an evil man. The only positive attribute of his life was the use of his character in "Evita".
He had three or four children. His children were not a positive attribute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Any place outside an insane asylum is a place for Che hating and celebrations of his death. Just like a Christian church is a place of Satan hating.
I disagree. I don't hate Che. He was a complicated human being. I also don't believe in Satan. Have you never heard that all humans contain potential for light and dark, positive and negative, yin and yang? IMO, it is those who DENY that they have any capacity for negative and darkness who are the most dangerous and least self-aware people out there. I do believe, even your Christ, told you that you are full of sin.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:32 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,947,024 times
Che in the end really didn't accomplish anything.Castro was i teh end a failure and a dictators who did as all dictators do;totrure.and kill the oppostion.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:32 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,723,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
I disagree. I don't hate Che. He was a complicated human being. I also don't believe in Satan. Have you never heard that all humans contain potential for light and dark, positive and negative, yin and yang? IMO, it is those who DENY that they have any capacity for negative and darkness who are the most dangerous and least self-aware people out there. I do believe, even your Christ, told you that you are full of sin.
Che was a Warrior, stuck on the process of Revolution, rather than the results. Victory was a downer for him it was the fight he wanted.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Thank goodness. He was an evil man. The only positive attribute of his life was the use of his character in "Evita".
So Che's work at the leper colony was not "positive"?

"As an "about to be" doctor, Che takes a semester off from his studies. He and a friend, a medical technician, intend to travel on the friend's motorcycle through all the countries of Latin America ending up in Colombia.

Imagine a twenty-three year old you know setting out to see all the states of the United States but on roads as they are in wilderness areas of Utah. No I 80s.
The worst fears of Che's parents are realized. The motorcycle gives out in the middle of no where. But they are innovative young men. And they are determined to complete their journey.
By pre-arrangement they visit a doctor in Peru who directs them to a leper colony on the Amazon River.
The colony crystallizes Che's consciousness of "the other:" the lepers live on one side of the river, staff on the other side.
In preparation for their visit to the colony, the chief doctor briefs Che and his friend on the work. He takes particular care to assure the young men that leprosy is not contagious.
Crossing Amazon in an open boat the doctor hands Che and his friend latex gloves. It was a rule of the Mother Superior of the community of sisters who ran the colony that no staff might touch a leper with bare hands.
Che asks, "Why? If leprosy is not contagious why wear gloves?" The doctor says, "Just do it." Che hands the gloves back to the doctor, refusing to wear them. His first act ashore is to shake hands with a man whose hands are knurled, deformed from the disease. The man draws back, saying, "Don't you know the rule?"
In the course of his several week residency in the colony Che, by his example, transforms the relationships between the staff and the lepers.
The night before Che's departure, the staff throws a birthday party for him. As the party is ending, he walks to the river shore. Across the river he can see the lights of the leper colony. It is there he wants to celebrate his birthday.
Over the protests of his friend, Che strips off his clothes and dives into the river. Driving himself beyond his debilitating asthma, he makes it to the other side. The story of Che and the leper colony is a metaphor for the challenge facing each one of us in our own personal journey: the challenge of meeting "the other." Makes no difference whether or not we ever leave home."

The Birth Process

Old 11-11-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Che was a Warrior, stuck on the process of Revolution, rather than the results. Victory was a downer for him it was the fight he wanted.
I"m not sure that I agree that he was "stuck" on the fight. I think he was far more complex than that would suggest.

Che was a Warrior and a Healer.......felt enormous compassion and empathy for the poor and oppressed of the world.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:59 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,305,779 times
Quote:
I"m not sure that I agree that he was "stuck" on the fight. I think he was far more complex than that would suggest.

Che was a Warrior and a Healer.......felt enormous compassion and empathy for the poor and oppressed of the world.
...and he also believed that maintaining an iron fist was a means to justify an end, after obtaining power, just like every other Marxist in existence. I can't believe America has people in it thinking this man was anything other than a fart in the wind.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:03 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,305,779 times
Quote:
ah...I see we're taking the position of equivocating tying one's shoelaces to rocket science today.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
ah...I see we're taking the position of equivocating tying one's shoelaces to rocket science today.
I'm not equivocating. There are many things about Che which I admire. There is the potential for light and dark in YOU as well as every other human being ever born. There is a potential serial killer in you and every other human being ever born, just as there is a potential Mother Theresa in every human being born.

Again, your Christ taught/teaches that man is full of sin.

Che was a complicated man. Only someone with a very small mind could fail to see that. "Complicated" does not = good, bad, or indifferent.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
...and he also believed that maintaining an iron fist was a means to justify an end, after obtaining power, just like every other Marxist in existence. I can't believe America has people in it thinking this man was anything other than a fart in the wind.
Are you an "American" or a "Cuban-American"? That may explain why you fail to understand that people in America can differ in their opinions regarding Che. After all, that's part of our freedom here.......education and the freedom to debate such issues as this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies