Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 04:44 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Blaming slavery... there seems to be a gap in the narrative.
Jews were slaves , they do OK .

Old 10-11-2009, 04:55 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
If it wasn't staged it might be sad.
That's the point. Many black men will attest that it happens, and all too often. Sad indeed.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:37 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Jewish people (for the most part but not all) are also White people.

Blacks are the only Americans who came to the country like this....

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/img_400/slave-ship.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-11-2009, 06:13 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Tell us how the Democrats solution (throwing welfare at everything) has helped?

back when we had manufacturing in America (before the neo cons helped ship these jobs overseas) many blacks were employed in America by manufacturing companies started by capitalistic entrepreneurs (yeah, that evil capitalism that Libs hate so much)

It is a 2 party problem that is not being address effectively by either party currently at all
OK, that is true, many blacks had manufacturing jobs (in Detroit, LA, and other areas, yes), and now blacks, whites and others have lost those jobs. My question to that poster who said conservative Republicans have the answers was simply, what are the answers?

Old 10-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
What are they doing to help themselves?

I am sick and tired of that old line about society not doing enough to help inner-city kids. If money was all there was to it, the problem would have been solved years ago. Instead, the welfare state only made it worse.

Calling them thugs? That is what they are.

You expect teenagers to figure out how to fix fundamental societal problems? They're trying to figure out who they are.

What can they do to help themselves?

Old 10-11-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Is that all you do is cry? I have read several posts of yours with that sarcastic "cry icon" and it doesn't do anything at all to contribute in the least.

Walk around the Slave Mart? What are you babbling about?

I can tell you some people black kids should look up to: Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, Shelby Steele, Bill Cosby...

I agree that blacks should look up to these four, in that they are all intelligent men who have made very prosperous lives for themselves and have "made it" in this society. I don't agree with the ultraconservative politics of the first three, although I find some elements of what Sowell says compelling.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Jews were slave 3,000 year ago, they've had a bit of a head start. But in a mere span of 45 years we have risen from de facto segregation to the Presidency, the Jews still haven't pulled that one off. So, let's wait and see what the world looks like 1,000 years hence.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:25 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Jews were slave 3,000 year ago, they've had a bit of a head start. But in a mere span of 45 years we have risen from de facto segregation to the Presidency, the Jews still haven't pulled that one off. So, let's wait and see what the world looks like 1,000 years hence.
This deserved 5 reps but they would only let me give one.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

It ended in the USA before then, it doesn't really matter as far as the USA when slavery ended elsewhere and in fact slavery exists still today. In the USA slavery ended in 1865 which is too long ago for 99.9% of the people alive today to have ever met a slave. Someone born into slavery at the very end of slavery in the USA would have become 100 years old in 1965 - and most people today were not alive even in 1965. Some very elderly people may have had an grandparent born into slavery that lived early years as a slave, but that's about it.

Slavery is no more an excuse than indentured serventry is. The richest woman in the world is Oprah, a multimillionaire several times over, had slave ancestors. Bill Cosby, Will Smith, Clarence Thomas, Michael Jackson - all had slave ancestors as well as most of the middle class blacks who are doing as well as anyone else.
All I know is, anywhere in the Americas there was slavery, there are both incredibly creative and resilient cultures and incredible violence and poverty; both have emerged as a direct result of oppression and dehumanization. America's inner cities, Latin American cities such as Rio de Janeiro, Buenaventura, Colombia, Port Au Prince, Haiti, Lima, Peru, Kingston, Jamaica.......the destruction of culture and identity, even more than a century after the end of slavery, has a huge impact on the behavior of those who are descended from slaves. For you to compare slavery to indentured servitude is painfully ignorant and naive.

It is obvious that not every descendant of slaves is impoverished or violent or criminal. In fact, the vast majority of them are successful, especially in America. The fact remains, though, that too many African descendants are doing badly in the Americas, and that is not totally the fault of black folks, no matter how you want to slice it. We are neither stupid nor inferior, and we work as hard as or harder than anyone else on Earth. The playing field is simply not level, and until it is, we will have the same problems as we have been having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Blaming slavery is a cop-out because it implies that once a slave, always a slave and that it's an inherited gene. Yes obviously slavery was wrong - but we can't go back 300 years ago and undo the past.

Blaming slavery implies nothing can be done because you can't free these people ever, nor their descendents, you can never change the fact that long ago ancestors were slaves and that is a mark that will always exist on any descendent.
Yes, I do believe that. The fact that I came from slaves continues to contribute to the perception among other Americans, and other Latinos, that I am inferior, and that there is literally nothing I can do about it, no matter how hard I work or how much I accomplish. And believe me, I have worked very hard and accomplished a lot. We go through these incidences of blatant and subtle discrimination every day, and it wears on the soul.

Quote:

In order to address the problems of the black underclass - which is a certain portion of blacks but many blacks are doing just fine is to look honestly at the problem.

Much of it is young unwed motherhood, children growing not only without fathers but without grandfathers, or any caring male role model. The answer to that could be more black male teachers, or find a way to connect men with their offspring.
I'm totally with this.
Quote:

Neighborhoods filled with crime which are terrible for young people growing up. How do you create safe living conditions for so many black families, mostly headed by single mothers? 67% of blacks are born into illegitimacy and those born to married couples are the middle and upper class, not the inner cities which have a much higher rate of illegitimacy.

Like someone said, these women for generations are married to the government. How do you get them into the idea of marrying the father of their children?
True too......although lots of white women don't marry their children's fathers either...........

Old 10-12-2009, 12:16 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
OK, that is true, many blacks had manufacturing jobs (in Detroit, LA, and other areas, yes), and now blacks, whites and others have lost those jobs. My question to that poster who said conservative Republicans have the answers was simply, what are the answers?

Well, I don't believe that the current Republicans (or Democrats) do have helpful answers to this question. I guess the best we can do is to try and educate people regarding sex (to help lower the number of kids that can be born into risky situations), make it more "cool" to be educated among many at risk teens and young people in low income areas and maybe help find more mentors who are willing to be a guide of sorts to show these kids that someone cares

Not sure how much of an impact that these suggestions would have, but it needs to happen and evolve slowly because we should not expect it to happen overnight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies