Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 04:44 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Banning " gays in the military is the height of silliness and futility since there have always been gays in the military.
The military.

Does anyone know how other armies policy this issue?

The French, British, Russian military?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 04:45 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
I've thought of a logical reason to eliminate the ban on gays in the military. The current regulations involving sexual relations and public displays of affection (pda) "should" cover any potential problems as long as such rules are enforced for both straight and gay couples. On my second ship, there were straight couples who were kicked out the Navy for having sexual relations while on the ship. Think of it as having sex on the jobsite while on the clock.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:46 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The military.

Those nation's navies also allow their sailors to drink booze while at sea.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:48 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I've thought of a logical reason to eliminate the ban on gays in the military. The current regulations involving sexual relations and public displays of affection (pda) "should" cover any potential problems as long as such rules are enforced for both straight and gay couples. On my second ship, there were straight couples who were kicked out the Navy for having sexual relations while on the ship. Think of it as having sex on the jobsite while on the clock.
Well, yes, I think that's what most of us are arguing. It's conduct that should matter - not your personal sexual interests.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The military.

This shows a list of countries that allows homosexuals to serve openly:

Sexual orientation and military service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-11-2009, 04:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I can't believe you don't even see the absurdness of what you're saying.
You asked me a question - as to "how I knew". I responded with conversations that I had with service members - and their relating to me what happened to other service members who were gay.

Then, you have the audacity to say that I don't see the "adsurdness of what I'm saying"! I was relating what OTHERS SAID - not what I said.

May I suggest that you try reading and comprehending another's post BEFORE responding?

Old 10-11-2009, 05:01 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
I have personal reasons why I'm against gays in the military. On two separate occasions someone I thought was my friend (two separate guys) thought I was more drunk than I really was and tried to take advantage of my drunken condition. The first one tried to cuddle up to me as I lay asleep. I jumped up awake and told him to stay away from me. The second guy tried to do more than cuddle. He was eventually kicked out the Navy. Sure you could say these were isolated incidents. That doesn't change how it made me feel. We had guys on my first ship we knew were gay. They were considerate enough to not try to push themselves on guys they knew were straight. None of them were kicked out the Navy.
I've had straight women behave that same way towards me...I'm still traumatized......LOL.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPat01 View Post
I am so bloody tired of having people's sexuality shoved in my face----I don't care what you do in your bed-room or where-ever-----as long as you keep your hands to yourself and leave children alone. If one can do the job, fine---dress appropriately and keep your sexual orientation to yourself!!!
You have nerve assuming "we" like children....most pedophiles are straight!!

Old 10-11-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Not openly gay service members. Nor, openly gay relationships on bases
Never heard of the Roman Legions

Old 10-11-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Try to imagine sleeping in a large room with 200 other men. You sleep within inches (a foot or less sometimes) from the next guy. Now mix genders. Put both men and women in this situation for six months a year. They must now work together, sleep together, shower together, and even undress in front of each other every day for six months out of the year. Such a situation will create problems. In some ways, it's exactly the same thing with openly gay men in the military. This is the situation on many navy ships. 50, 75, 100, or even 200 or more men all sleeping in the same room.
For the misinformed....PLEASE.......the military is allowing females on submarines so there goes the convoluted logic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies