Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can minorities discriminate against their own kind?
Yes or Probably. 33 50.77%
Yes. I've seen it happen. It stinks. 36 55.38%
I have no idea. Other opinions. 0 0%
No. It is impossible. It never happens. 1 1.54%
Nope. That is just silly to ask. 2 3.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:00 PM

436 posts, read 874,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I have heard Asian women state that they would never date/marry an Asian men and then proceed to give a laundry list of reasons why Asian men are undesirable.
They were dumped by Asian man before. Many of those "gifts" are those marginal beauty that no Asian man dare to stare according to the Asian criteria of Chick.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
You have a caricature-like and narrow (western skewed) perception of asians and asian culture. The TRUTH i was pointing out is there are plenty of asians who still have not or do not have had surgery, use "bleaching" cream or whatever. Maybe they go to the gym, maybe they are already pale and even if they are not they are okay or happy with it etc like regular people. Um, i have lived with other asians and when i was in dormitory in asia, we girls were very close and intimately know using and sharing eachother's products and not a single one was using this so-called 'bleaching' cream. we would go shopping and buy the latest stuff that we liked. i remember it was innisfree or the skinfood line or something. same thing in japan, i used a regular japanese product line etc. Not everyone is using a bleaching cream. geez..

There are asians who don't want to date asian men etc but you are not privy to the heart of asian culture or people. When i was in asia, the most attractive asians usually were with other asians. I think that's a theme in almost any ethnicity or race, with exceptions. Those who are unhappy with themselves or can't accept themselves for whatever reason are the ones who stick out or are highlighted but it skews the rest into the background. Um, there are plenty of asian people who like other asian people and are attracted to them (shocking?). Actually the most attractive guys in asia were always with asian women and vice versa. This is normal no matter what else is going on, what fringe groups exist etc.

Even what you 'confidently' spouted as if you are an authority on the subject of who is using or doing proves to me how erroneous your judgement is and you honestly don't know what you are talking about. Southeast asians often even have a type of soap with ingredients purportedly to help lighten the skin etc or help with pigmentation problems. Even northeast asians which include the japanese which you believe use lightening products the most (laughable) don't even use those type products mainstream like southeast asians do. So no, japanese do not use bleaching creams the most and even if some do, as i know how anal and fastidious some asians are, some asians who are already pale can end up using things like that simply because they think it will help them stay lighter. this means even though some will buy some of these type products, many are already going to be pale anyways. i know this.
That's in Asia. But Asians, particularly Asian women, in America and Europe have a preference for non-Asian men. And Asian women who do not have a great deal of "access" to non-Asian men in their own countries of origin will seek a non-Asian partner via mail order or seek to go abroad for college.

I attended college with a lot of Asians and although 100% of Asian women don't target non-Asian men a very high percentage does. I have had a two Asian roommates (Japanese and Malayasian), I have Asian friends(Filipinas, Taiwanese, Samoan), acquaintances and co-workers and the pattern of Asian women with non-Asian men is astounding. I have even had two Asian mothers of friends of mine explain that White men are better "catches" because they treat Asian girls like princesses and they hope their daughters marry a White man.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
That's in Asia. But Asians, particularly Asian women, in America and Europe have a preference for non-Asian men. And Asian women who do not have a great deal of "access" to non-Asian men in their own countries of origin will seek a non-Asian partner via mail order or seek to go abroad for college.

I attended college with a lot of Asians and although 100% of Asian women don't target non-Asian men a very high percentage does. I have had a two Asian roommates (Japanese and Malayasian), I have Asian friends(Filipinas, Taiwanese, Samoan), acquaintances and co-workers and the pattern of Asian women with non-Asian men is astounding. I have even had two Asian mothers of friends of mine explain that White men are better "catches" because they treat Asian girls like princesses and they hope their daughters marry a White man.
Just like nonasians can have unrealistic stereotypes of asians, there are plenty of asians who also have stereotypes of whites etc. a lot of it is very shallow and unrealistic as well and from what they gather from movies, television and advertising.

of course they won't be treated as "princesses." some will have good relationships and others will have bad ones and the majority will have normal ones with the problems of any relationship etc.

just as there are good and nice asian men who have good relationships and those who won't etc.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I understand the need to be in denial about the Asian quest for more European features but Asians are notorious for using skin bleaching products

best asian skin lightening

CNN.com - SKIN DEEP: Dying to be white - May 15, 2002

SKIN WHITENING, The Secret To Asian Skin Whitening! Revealing the Benefits of Glutathione - Free-Press-Release.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/01/he...n.1644457.html

And the eyelid surgery obsession

And then there are the Asians who dye their hair blonde....
Likewise in Indian culture:

YouTube - Fair & Lovely Ad - India

Old 10-13-2009, 09:26 PM

^it's pretty simple. you can tell by comparing the shade of face versus body for most people. people tend to focus on the face.

either way, to lump all people together the same creates skewed and erroneous steretypes since not all will be using such products or care to, some will and some will already be light depending on individual or ethnicity.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 PM

Well one thing's for certain - none of them seem to be to keen on getting (or staying) darker.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:41 PM

This is a good thread. It's all to common to focus on the standard white/non-white dichotomy when it comes to issues like discrimination, all the while turning a blind eye to this behavior as it exists among minorities. Indeed in my experience as a black man, some of the sheer hate that I've encountered from other non-white ethnic groups would probably give the most outspoken of white bigots a run for his money.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I believe you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
This is a good thread. It's all to common to focus on the standard white/non-white dichotomy when it comes to issues like discrimination, all the while turning a blind eye to this behavior as it exists among minorities. Indeed in my experience as a black man, some of the sheer hate that I've encountered from other non-white ethnic groups would probably give the most outspoken of white bigots a run for his money.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Well one thing's for certain - none of them seem to be to keen on getting (or staying) darker.
i've noticed it can vary also like a pendulum. lately as we are more aware of the dangers of skin cancer, tanning has dropped drastically among whites which was very popular before and common. this knowledge would also influence more light skin favoritism as well.

brazilian and venezuelan women are routinely seen as beautiful and exotic and most have darker caramel complexions. it looks good on them. so it all depends also on person and what they deem looks best.

also, perms use to be very popular and straight hair is the ideal now for awhile. not all whites have straight hair and use straighteners or different products to smooth their hair as well.

also, i noticed as the american population was getting heftier is when larger rear-ends really took off etc. people tend to compensate for whatever is going on at the time.

it can also depend on the gender or how the features add up. the stereotype of 'tall, dark, and handome' is one that appeals to a lot of people. you don't hear 'tall, pale (pasty), and handsome' etc. people assume it's just a matter of light vs dark when in fact tone is also important. you can be light and your skin not a good tone or unattractive and you can be darker and have great skin tone and be attractive etc. that's why even different color tones look good on the correct person etc. there is summer (which actually is more yellow/orange-based and are the majority of whites), autumn, winter (large percentage of asians, icy clear colors look best on most asians) etc. there is a lot of misconception which is technically false that floats around.

it's not as black/white as it seems. it's just easy to categorize it that way.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
and vice versa, anyone can be racist. there are plenty of racists in any group, even blacks who are hateful or racist to other minorities. the reason why whites get more focus is because they do create a lot of stereotypes about "others" which a lot of others including minorities also parrot or get conditioned to often even without realizing it.

Last edited by rory00; 10-13-2009 at 10:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies