Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 01:22 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,456 times

Advertisements

Have we really gotten more violent? or is it now that we can hear news from all over the world almost as quickly as it happens? what's changed? an increase in violence or our access to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 01:37 AM

35 posts, read 68,876 times
The main problem is that now a days kids are totally on their own, and parents are not having time to teach them what is good and bad.
more exposure to television and violent games are also main reason in the change in the kids behavior.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:40 AM

839 posts, read 982,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccamartin View Post
The main problem is that now a days kids are totally on their own, and parents are not having time to teach them what is good and bad.
more exposure to television and violent games are also main reason in the change in the kids behavior.
And what makes you so sure that TV and videogames are the 'main reason' for these supposed changes in behavior? Have you done research on this, surveyed the academic literature? Got any statistical analyses to back up this bare assertion? In fact, what evidence do you have that there has been a change in behavior? Kids have always been violent; look at how kids acted and what their role was in society 150 years ago, it would shock you!

Old 12-21-2009, 01:56 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
per OP
40 years of doctor benjamin spock, today highest prison population on earth and now this.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:58 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccamartin View Post
And more kids are joining gang now than ever before.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:00 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Wait, wait, I know the answer:
It's feminism. Feminism is at fault.
Women should never have been given equal(ish) rights.
They should be forced to stay home, give all to husband and family, have no personal fulfillment.

Not.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:11 AM

35 posts, read 68,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
And what makes you so sure that TV and videogames are the 'main reason' for these supposed changes in behavior? Have you done research on this, surveyed the academic literature? Got any statistical analyses to back up this bare assertion? In fact, what evidence do you have that there has been a change in behavior? Kids have always been violent; look at how kids acted and what their role was in society 150 years ago, it would shock you!
For this finding you dont need any research if you are a parent it is enough to judge it. and more over ask any parent you know they will say the same thing which i told. even researches are done by asking the parents. i being a parent know it better. if you still not satisfied you google it and see you can find many researches regarding the effects of TV and video games on the kids behavior. hope all the parents here will agree to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Wait, wait, I know the answer:
It's feminism. Feminism is at fault.
Women should never have been given equal(ish) rights.
They should be forced to stay home, give all to husband and family, have no personal fulfillment.

Not.
from what you saying i can guess that you want to put all the blame on women, but that is not true, as parents whether you are women or men both of them are equally to be blamed for the kids behavior.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:37 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
I don't know "What's wrong with kids today?" is a pretty old term. Every generation thinks the upcoming generation is terrible. "Back in my day..." At 28 I've even found myself saying it, particularly when I was a substitute teacher. Then I paused and remembered that I wasn't exactly an angel myself.

I'm sorry but violence, gangs, teen pregnancy, and drug use weren't invented by kids born in 1995. Whenever my mom would say something to that effect I'd always remind her that teen pregnancies and drug use were higher in the 70s than the 90s. Now I do understand that it has gone up again but it'll surely go down these are things that will always affect a small percentage of the youth population and its a parent's job to ensure that their child doesn't become part of that population.

More kids are joining gangs? Really? Maybe in California but not the majority of the country. I grew up in a fairly rough neighborhood but never knew anyone in a gang. I think some people are just bad.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:49 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Juveniles laughed after setting 15-year-old on fire

Five juveniles were in custody Tuesday after a 15-year-old was intentionally set on fire at a Deerfield Beach, Florida, apartment complex, police said.
Police say Michael Brewer, 15, is expected to be hospitalized for five months. Michael Brewer suffered second-degree burns over 80 percent of his body. "He's in for a long, long recovery," Broward County Sheriff Al Lamberti told reporters

Police: Juveniles laughed after setting 15-year-old on fire - CNN.com
Well, the good thing is:

"Three of the teenagers accused of setting fire to Michael Brewer last month have been charged with second-degree attempted murder, prosecutors said Monday. The State Attorney's Office filed formal adult charges Monday against Matthew Bent, 15; Denver Jarvis, 15; and Jesus Mendez, 16."

3 in burn case face trial as adults

Old 12-22-2009, 11:03 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
If kids can't tell what the difference is between video games and real life...it's the parents fault for not teaching them that. I LOVE violent video games...so does my 17 year old brother (I'm 26 btw) but I also know that it's a GAME. I don't go out acting like a secret government mercinary for funsies. My brother is a 17 year old junior in high school who gets great grades, already has 3 scholarship offers for college and is one of the best kids I've had the pleasure to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I don't know "What's wrong with kids today?" is a pretty old term. Every generation thinks the upcoming generation is terrible. "Back in my day..." At 28 I've even found myself saying it, particularly when I was a substitute teacher. Then I paused and remembered that I wasn't exactly an angel myself.

I'm sorry but violence, gangs, teen pregnancy, and drug use weren't invented by kids born in 1995. Whenever my mom would say something to that effect I'd always remind her that teen pregnancies and drug use were higher in the 70s than the 90s. Now I do understand that it has gone up again but it'll surely go down these are things that will always affect a small percentage of the youth population and its a parent's job to ensure that their child doesn't become part of that population.

More kids are joining gangs? Really? Maybe in California but not the majority of the country. I grew up in a fairly rough neighborhood but never knew anyone in a gang. I think some people are just bad.

I'm in California and the only person I've ever known who was in a gang was my non-blood related cousin...but he was an idiot. Other than that, I've never known anyone who was in gang. Gangs are ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies