Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 07:30 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Sorry, I don't follow, being given an option is being bullied, how ?
Paranoia.

As I understand it, the proposal would be to allow states to opt out of having their citizens be given the option to pick a health care plan based on the Medicare model.

So if the state opts out, it reduces by one the number of health care options available to its citizens. If a state opts in, it increases by one the number of health care options available to its citizens.

In the first case, a choice is not offered; in the second case, a choice is offered, and it's up to the individual to decide.

Personally, I would prefer to have the choice available to me to pick the public option, but some people prefer to have that decision made by the state. I guess they're big on states' rights, and not so much on individual rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 07:37 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Paranoia.

As I understand it, the proposal would be to allow states to opt out of having their citizens be given the option to pick a health care plan based on the Medicare model.

So if the state opts out, it reduces by one the number of health care options available to its citizens. If a state opts in, it increases by one the number of health care options available to its citizens.

In the first case, a choice is not offered; in the second case, a choice is offered, and it's up to the individual to decide.

Personally, I would prefer to have the choice available to me to pick the public option, but some people prefer to have that decision made by the state. I guess they're big on states' rights, and not so much on individual rights?
The states' citizens would not have to contribute as much federal taxes or be given additional money back from the federal government for the cost savings of not funding a public option.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:46 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
"Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen is a Democrat who has already called congressional health-reform efforts “the mother of all unfunded mandates.” Now he’s estimating that the Baucus bill could dump $3 billion in unfunded mandates on his state over a five-year period."

Tennessee gov: Health reform will cost states billions | Kyle Wingfield

I don't know what our governor would do. I just know the above.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:24 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
The way I see it is that the original bailout taxpayer money was for people to not lose their houses. Instead, it became welfare for the heads of corporations.

If we can afford that, we can afford national health care, or at the very least, a public option. I just hope the bill does not include money for the insurance industry, too.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:51 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The states' citizens would not have to contribute as much federal taxes or be given additional money back from the federal government for the cost savings of not funding a public option.
That depends entirely on the final legislation signed into law, and (1) if it has a public option, (2) which version of the public option is included, and (3) how that public option is financed.

HR 3200, one of the House bills that includes a public option, in Section 222 Premiums and Financing, states the following:
(a) Establishment of Premiums-
(1) IN GENERAL- The Secretary shall establish geographically-adjusted premium rates for the public health insurance option in a manner--
(A) that complies with the premium rules established by the Commissioner under section 113 for Exchange-participating health benefit plans; and

(B) at a level sufficient to fully finance the costs of--
(i) health benefits provided by the public health insurance option; and
(ii) administrative costs related to operating the public health insurance option.
As with all other health insurance options in all other bills under consideration, financial assistance to those who cannot afford the full premium would be available ... but this is not unique to the public option.

Additionally, the CBO has estimated that "a public plan based on Medicare rates would save $110 billion over 10 years." Source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies