Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 07:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,612,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
LoL, funny. I need to be selling these tin foil hats by now.
I dunno about that. If I told you 5 years ago that the government would own a bank, an insurance company and an auto manufacturer, what would you have said ?

If I told you 5 years ago that Goldman Sachs has infiltrated almost every branch of the US government and are in pretty high positions, what would you have said ?

The unthinkable has become thinkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 07:08 PM

89,295 posts, read 45,013,031 times
Just a small snippet from the treaty...

17. [[Developed [and developing] countries] [Developed and developing country Parties] [All Parties] [shall] [should]:]
(a) Compensate for damage to the LDCs’(Least Developed Countries) economy and also compensate for lost opportunities, resources, lives, land and dignity, as many will become environmental refugees;
(b) Africa, in the context of environmental justice, should be equitably compensated for environmental, social and economic losses arising from the implementation of response measures.

It's a transfer of wealth from the U.S. to 'least developed countries' and Africa.
Cough up even more of your hard-earned money, taxpayers. You have too much wealth and global justice demands that you compensate the rest of the world for your greed.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:18 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,070,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I dunno about that. If I told you 5 years ago that the government would own a bank, an insurance company and an auto manufacturer, what would you have said ?

If I told you 5 years ago that Goldman Sachs has infiltrated almost every branch of the US government and are in pretty high positions, what would you have said ?

The unthinkable has become thinkable.
Not really. The auto manufacturers have been failing since I was a kid, I was wondering when it would happen. Certanly the large banks would if they ever did something stupid, too much money and has happened before from after the great depression on (ever heard of the S&L's, though smaller). The entire rest of the world has public insurance, and I have personal experience with it after living in Cambridge England, plus the US has had government insurance since the 1965. Good people in private industry often go to government positions, I guess you read nothing about Cheney.

That requires a less active imagination then most episodes on Adult Swim.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:25 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,972,860 times
Failure in Copenhagen is not an option - COP15 United Nations Climate Change Conference Copenhagen 2009

Here's a link from the United Nations Climate Change Conference. Please note several paragraphs below the You Tube video about the "developed" countries needing to come forward with some specifics on finance:

“They cannot just continue to talk about finance. They must show – prove – to the developing world, we know that we are going to pay, or there will be no agreement. And the sooner the developed countries deliver on finance, the better.” The developed countries include the United States.

Take a look through the web site and you'll see Africa is asking "rich" countries to put up 1.5% of their GDP. For the US, this would be on top of the billions the US already gives to the UN. I've read in 2008 the US' GDP was over $14 trillion.

The dispute comes in when some people believe the US cannot afford to pay out that much money now with the debt the US is carrying, and when others believe that transfer of funds is perfectly okay.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:35 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,428,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Failure in Copenhagen is not an option - COP15 United Nations Climate Change Conference Copenhagen 2009

Here's a link from the United Nations Climate Change Conference. Please note several paragraphs below the You Tube video about the "developed" countries needing to come forward with some specifics on finance:

“They cannot just continue to talk about finance. They must show – prove – to the developing world, we know that we are going to pay, or there will be no agreement. And the sooner the developed countries deliver on finance, the better.” The developed countries include the United States.

Take a look through the web site and you'll see Africa is asking "rich" countries to put up 1.5% of their GDP. For the US, this would be on top of the billions the US already gives to the UN. I've read in 2008 the US' GDP was over $14 trillion.

The dispute comes in when some people believe the US cannot afford to pay out that much money now with the debt the US is carrying, and when others believe that transfer of funds is perfectly okay.
Excellent post but Obama supporters do not want to hear the truth. They want to believe that "Hope and Change" meant that their lives would be improved. They never imagined that the change would be becoming a citizen of the world.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:38 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,240,714 times
Only if you're like the people in this skit

YouTube - Monty Python - Legendado - Silly Disturbances

Old 10-17-2009, 07:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,428,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Only if you're like the people in this skit

YouTube - Monty Python - Legendado - Silly Disturbances
You just keep on hanging on to that Obama hope and change.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:49 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,472,373 times
Can't we all just get along, wow 2 days on here, at least welcome me home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies