Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:59 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,384 times

Advertisements

Interesting watching the scrap over health reform in the USA from another country.
With this opt out public option idea I am curious about how many so called conservative states would opt out of the public option, do you believe your state would opt out ? if so why would it opt out ?

Amusing the numbers whom seem to be so keen in voting against their own interests in a lot of ways in the USA when it comes to health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 04:03 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,903,410 times
Arizona plans to, from what I have been told. I don't think of AZ as conservative, but some people do. Arizonans don't like to be bullied by big government.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Arizona plans to, from what I have been told. I don't think of AZ as conservative, but some people do. Arizonans don't like to be bullied by big government.
Sorry, I don't follow, being given an option is being bullied, how ?

Old 10-16-2009, 04:50 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Unlike the movement to teach the mythology of only one of our many religions in science class?

Old 10-16-2009, 04:51 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,155,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Let us see. Getting a driver's license back in the 30's was for commercial transporters of goods and people. Like taxis and trucks. Then, slowly, everyone was required to have one.

Social Security, was an option. Getting a card meant that you were giving the government your retirement money to be later colllected when you retired. The card itself was NEVER intended to be used for identification.

Slowly, everyone was required to have one, to even live. And everyone was required to use it as identification to do business with banks, stock markets, and regualr employment.

Whatever the government gets us into, we get screwed. Yes, they can tell us one thing today, to appease our minds, but trust the facts already laid out in history....that when the law is written and passed, all it needs to be changed for more power for themselves is "modified".

Why give them the groundwork basis in law to start with?

Old 10-16-2009, 04:55 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Do you understand the pitfalls of socialized medicine, fuzzy math, lying politicians, financial insolvency, and tax increases?

If you have a good grasp on all of these items, then you should understand quite clearly the uproar over the public option.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:56 PM

206 posts, read 195,922 times
Connecticut passed a law earlier this year for universal health care through the 'Sustinet Program'
see SustiNet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The state would probably intergrate the Federal Program with Sustinet and the already in existence 'Charter Oak/Husky' Health Plans. see Charter Oak Health Plan

Old 10-16-2009, 08:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
My formerly red, now purple state, already has public option.

Colorado already has public option for health care - The Denver Post

Old 10-16-2009, 09:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Let us see. Getting a driver's license back in the 30's was for commercial transporters of goods and people. Like taxis and trucks. Then, slowly, everyone was required to have one.

Social Security, was an option. Getting a card meant that you were giving the government your retirement money to be later colllected when you retired. The card itself was NEVER intended to be used for identification.

Slowly, everyone was required to have one, to even live. And everyone was required to use it as identification to do business with banks, stock markets, and regualr employment.

Whatever the government gets us into, we get screwed. Yes, they can tell us one thing today, to appease our minds, but trust the facts already laid out in history....that when the law is written and passed, all it needs to be changed for more power for themselves is "modified".

What you are talking about are what all modern societies do. If it wasn't "the government" who initiated it all that would have happened anyway. We can live or do business in without those kinds of things. We need ID, we need to show that we can operate a car since, you know, they are "death machines" in the wrong hands, etc.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post

Ah, you believe in the absolute purity of the conservative state, yep i have no problem with that at all.
So you would have social security, medicare, medic aid and farming subsidies dumped.
Got a bloke around here who believes in the absolute purity of the libertarian cause, funny though he is not keen on the idea that we would leave him to grill if he rolls his vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies