Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:30 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,886,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Have you seen any bill in Congress that would provide lifetime unemployment benefits?
Until I see a bill for this, I'm not worried.
My point was,since jobs won't be coming back and unemployment will be much higher in the future, something will have to be done to change how things are done here.

Why would you be worried if such a bill was in CONgress?

I think it makes sense,the arbitrary way unemployment is handled in this nation is stupid and half-assed,but then so are most of the fedgov's ways of handling things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:38 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,796,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
My point was,since jobs won't be coming back and unemployment will be much higher in the future, something will have to be done to change how things are done here.

Why would you be worried if such a bill was in CONgress?

I think it makes sense,the arbitrary way unemployment is handled in this nation is stupid and half-assed,but then so are most of the fedgov's ways of handling things.
I'd much rather money be spent to create jobs than unemployment benefits.

Hsnq yes I can understand your frustration but did you ask these people what fields they were applying for? Why do you look at SOME people and think it applies to EVERYONE? You do realize there are lots of unemployed people who spend hours looking for a job? The jobs just aren't there. Even if everyone who is unemployed spent hours upon hours looking...it doesn't guarantee they'll find one. I don't know how much more clear I can make it. The jobs just aren't there.

For some jobs it requires a college degree or an associates degree. It takes time. You can't just expect people to change career fields in a matter of weeks if they don't have the training or experience.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,816,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Impose massive fines per illegal alien, the greedy put to work. Mandatory jail time of 5 years or more no probation, with seizure of all assets, on top of that.

Impose high import tariffs and start a second USA industrial revolution.

Just those two things alone, would see unemployment drop to all time lows.
The problem is more the LEGAL aliens taking the high paying jobs, than the ILLEGAL aliens working the throw-away jobs that most Americans shun.

'Fines per illegal alien'? - how do they pay what they don't have? 'Seizure of all assests' - what assets? 'Manditory jail sentences'? - and make the taxpapyer pay billions more each year to house them?

The cheap 'illegal' workers kept many small businesses afloat. The large corporations who dish out thousands good paying jobs to 'onshore' H1B workers who 'manage' cheap 'offshore' workers are the reason for the economy's woes. The good paying jobs can stabilize the country - but Obama doesn't want to do anything about it.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
The Fedgov. cannot create jobs without their being a cost to us.
It can however spend money taken from those working....

Private enterprise creates jobs that actually 'pay' for themselves.

The point I was making is unemployment benefits should not be limited by a time period,because you simply might not get a job in that length of time.

And I believe we are looking at a future where there will be a larger segment of our society who simply will be unemployed...so something will need to change.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:44 AM

9,525 posts, read 9,841,632 times
Many experts envision a jobless recovery, in which the economy grows but job losses persist. Economists now predict unemployment will peak at 10.5% next June, fall to 9.1% by 2011 but still be at 8.1% in 2013.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Many experts envision a jobless recovery, in which the economy grows but job losses persist. Economists now predict unemployment will peak at 10.5% next June, fall to 9.1% by 2011 but still be at 8.1% in 2013.
Lets take this figure...

So over 8% of the workforce(not the population) will be jobless....

What do people think these folks should do?

Also remember that the figure above is the U-3 unemployment rate,the U-6 rate almost double.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:51 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,508,953 times
WANT TO CREATE JOBS HERE IN THE U.S.A.???????

simple:

1. greatly lower/elliminate the corporate tax (we are currently the 2nd highest in the world)

2. Impose high import tarrifs....to include on companies that are HQ'd here in the usa, but make ther product outside (like G.E. , hq'd in Connecticut, but everything is assembeed/made in mexico/malasia)

do those 2 things (ie revoke NAFTA and its siblings) and JOB will come to the USA, and we wont be stuck with everything beoing made overseas (I think ist DISGUSTING that even american flags are made in china)

Old 10-19-2009, 09:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,214,727 times
Quote:

Hsnq yes I can understand your frustration but did you ask these people what fields they were applying for? Why do you look at SOME people and think it applies to EVERYONE? You do realize there are lots of unemployed people who spend hours looking for a job? The jobs just aren't there. Even if everyone who is unemployed spent hours upon hours looking...it doesn't guarantee they'll find one. I don't know how much more clear I can make it. The jobs just aren't there.

For some jobs it requires a college degree or an associates degree. It takes time. You can't just expect people to change career fields in a matter of weeks if they don't have the training or experience.

I understand completely what you are saying, and I do sympathize. I guess I can't help but wonder how they got to such dire positions, and the only answer I can think of is poor planning. Why weren't they following their companies performance/financials to see when it would do poorly? Why weren't they getting education continually instead of waiting for times to get tough to think about it? Why would they get a liberal arts degree and then complain about student loans being unresonable? I guess (whether it is fair or not) I see the vast majority of people who are struggling as people who simply did not plan correctly, and I do not want to be punished through taxes for their poor planning. Is my view selfish? Yes it is. Is it justified? Absolutely.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:29 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,796,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I understand completely what you are saying, and I do sympathize. I guess I can't help but wonder how they got to such dire positions, and the only answer I can think of is poor planning. Why weren't they following their companies performance/financials to see when it would do poorly? Why weren't they getting education continually instead of waiting for times to get tough to think about it? Why would they get a liberal arts degree and then complain about student loans being unresonable? I guess (whether it is fair or not) I see the vast majority of people who are struggling as people who simply did not plan correctly, and I do not want to be punished through taxes for their poor planning. Is my view selfish? Yes it is. Is it justified? Absolutely.
To some extent, I can see where you're coming from. I truly can.
At the same time, you can't expect all human beings to perform rationally. That's a huge reason we're in the mess we are now. Banks investing in bad loans, people taking huge risks, etc.

Sometimes the companies pull the rug out from people. People thought it was smooth sailing. Sometimes numbers are fudged in the books. It happens. C'est la vie.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:44 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,816,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The 'experts' didn't even see this whole thing coming, and now they are saying there's a recovery - jobless no less? This is a consumer-credit-driven economy, and when people have no jobs, they can't spend. No jobs, no spending, no credit... everything dries up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies