Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:13 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
So you don't think with Obamacare that they'll say "well for the collective good your medication costs too much when we can treat 10 other people, so sorry!"

I have no problem with helping any relative or friend that comes down with an affliction or disease and ends up struggling. I think that is one thing we have forgotten in this country is our own support systems of friends and family. No faceless bureaucrat is ever going to care for you like you own friends and family.

Even now some health insurance worker can say, "Sorry, even though this medication has proven to work with 99% of the people that have tried it, we won't cover it because it's experimental" or "This drug is $20,000. We will require you to cover 20% of the cost each month."

There have even been times where the company will cover a lower cost drug despite it causing more side effects...which causes the company more money when the policyholder has to go to the ER or their doctor. One woman offered to make up the difference between the higher cost drug and lower cost drug for her daughter (the difference was less than 500 bucks) but the health insurance company refused.

How do you know these things will happen with "Obamacare?" Is there some magic right-wing Crystal ball you have? If so, where did you pick it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:24 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
So you don't think with Obamacare that they'll say "well for the collective good your medication costs too much when we can treat 10 other people, so sorry!"

I have no problem with helping any relative or friend that comes down with an affliction or disease and ends up struggling. I think that is one thing we have forgotten in this country is our own support systems of friends and family. No faceless bureaucrat is ever going to care for you like you own friends and family.
toledoblade.com --

Sick of Blue Cross | Consumer Stories
CIGNA Is Still Up To Their Old Tricks. They're Denying Coverage Needed To Treat Cancer Side Effects. UPDATED with video | Crooks and Liars

Newsvine - Daily Kos: My Sister Died Today WITH Health Care Coverage: Could NOT Afford Life-Saving Meds!

Old 10-19-2009, 06:37 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
For those who posess a fragile understanding of the fact that most industrialized nations have made universal health care a right, it is unduly rude to make any attempt to convince such folk's otherwise.

I assumed the level of comprehension in my country had slipped a notch or three when it comes to healthcare. I so far remain correct in my assumption. Just the other day a Women was telling me in the most shrill voice, that, "that Obama wants to let older people die off because we can't afford to let them live under this new plan of his", then there's the ones who are feeling mighty smug in the fact that "I got mine", and, "I pay plenty for it", "I EARN it."(by working for less)

The problem is for most people, that they will not read the entire proposal to see how it will really affect them and their families. Nor will they get some advice from other than those God's of bluster TV, Glenn and Rush. I had a good health plan when I worked because we were organized.

We were Unionized and got what we demanded in order not to be subjected to the impossible high cost of care. When you don't have a union, or if you don't work for a large concern you'll no doubt end up with no coverage, part time workers, and transient workers, don't get much in the way of health care coverage. Yes............I'll be waiting for the huge crowds of people who will quit their jobs over all this..........Oh, the hell of it all.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

Even now some health insurance worker can say, "Sorry, even though this medication has proven to work with 99% of the people that have tried it, we won't cover it because it's experimental" or "This drug is $20,000. We will require you to cover 20% of the cost each month."

There have even been times where the company will cover a lower cost drug despite it causing more side effects...which causes the company more money when the policyholder has to go to the ER or their doctor. One woman offered to make up the difference between the higher cost drug and lower cost drug for her daughter (the difference was less than 500 bucks) but the health insurance company refused.

How do you know these things will happen with "Obamacare?" Is there some magic right-wing Crystal ball you have? If so, where did you pick it up?
And why do you think it won't ? Do you think the government has an endless supply of money ?

Oh rats..yes they do (Ben's printing press)

Old 10-20-2009, 12:44 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Quote:
You are completely out of touch with reality.

Go to any universal health care system in the world, Canada, UK, etc. Don't care pick one.

They have "managed care". The government sets limits and rules on #'s of treatments and care. Try to get an MRI in Canada for instance.

This belief that with Obamacare you'll be able to get whatever you want, whenever you want is total fiction and people that believe that nonsense are in for a radical dose of reality someday.
My family lives in France, my dad went to college in Canada. Most of my family is abroad. I dealt with managed care before. MUCH better than our current system.

Yeah, better than my uncle having to die since he was denied treatment altogether (this was despite having insurance).

Old 10-20-2009, 12:49 AM

It's obvious to me that those that oppose any form of a public option or universal health are simply don't understand. So that's fine. I hope that you don't go through what me and my family went through. If you ever end up in an unfair situation that results in death, or financial hardship...then you might understand the situation a little more.

You seem like the people that don't understand the abstract. Rather you can only understand issues that directly affect you. We shouldn't base policy in such a manner. There is always a possibility that you may one day end up in such a situation...

Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 AM

Why is being healthy a "right" even an issue? So we don't have the "right" to obtain reasonable means to being healthy? What is wrong with you people?

Old 10-20-2009, 05:39 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
So Sunny-Days09, would you be in favor of helping make health care affordable by making insurance companies nonprofit and instituting price controls?
While this was not directed at me, I do have a question.

Ultimately this will lead to not-for-profit doctors. Are you ok with under-qualified, would-be medical school rejects giving substandard health care?

Old 10-20-2009, 06:05 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
We were Unionized and got what we demanded in order not to be subjected to the impossible high cost of care.
How does that work out when the business folds and moves because of the high cost of those union contracts?

Quote:
It's obvious to me that those that oppose any form of a public option or universal health are simply don't understand.
We understand perfectly. We know the government CANNOT run anything without going into the red, there are numerous examples of this. We know if they say it will cost a trillion, more likely it will be 3, 4 ,5 ten times as much, there are numerous examples of this. We know the problems in the current system DO NOT justify a government takover of HC, 1/6 th of our economy.

We know that obama/dem/libs are just using the PO as a path to single-payer - they have admitted this, we have their own words.

We know they are lying.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:44 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Quote:
We know the government CANNOT run anything without going into the red
Just look to Social Security. They had years upon years of surplus social security tax revenue. All those years of baby boomers putting into the system while only a tiny fraction of it was being drawn out.

What did they do with the surplus? Put it in the general fund and spent it.

Even if I agreed with the brand of health care reform that is being proposed, our government is not to be trusted with something this big. And I'm not even splitting hairs between democrats and republicans. The waste and irresponsibility is present on both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies