Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:02 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,292,308 times

Advertisements

I was listening to conservative (republican) radio, which i used to listen to all the time when i was a member of the party, but over the last 11 months it has become complete garbage.

However, one of the many talking heads was discussing the legalization of "Pot" and other illicit drugs. The first thing out of this authoritarians mouth was, "I'm all for more freedoms and individual rights, but I'm completely against the legalization of any drugs."

I thought for a second, it would seem to me he is not for individual freedom at all. In fact it would seem that he's highly in favor of limiting individual freedom and pushing the power of government into the lives of citizens.

This strategy of being authoritarian and constantly having the government dictate what citizens should and should not do is a staple of the Republican Party. (The dems are guilty of it too, but they currently have the younger vote)

If any Republican pundits are reading this forum. I will say this once and only once. If you blatantly attempt to use this issue as a rallying cry for the conservative base, you will lose any (dare i say all) younger conservatives.

If you haven't notice we (i assume) are completely sick of you people using the government to impose your way of life upon other citizens.

Dorock Rule #99

If said pot head is not attempting to violate, trample, coerce, or reduce your individual right, you have no right in hell to reduce theirs.

I'm so sick of them legislating a reduction in 95% of our freedom, because 1% of the pot-heads don't work or get addicted to the drug.

It seems completely ridiculous and I'm an independent, but any Republican or Democrat that comes out with some authoritarian view on what any citizen should do with their body that is not harming others is not getting my vote in 2010. (Goes for abortion too)

PS - I'm not a pot head just want the record to show. I'm also not a pregnant 15 year old girl. I'm just against having my individual rights limited under the guise of "safety" that hasn't been empirically proven. 100% of the pot heads i know all work (everyday), are non-violent, are not lazy (for the most part), and should not be consider criminals or looked upon as criminals, simply because you disagree with their lifestyle.

GOT IT! GOOD!

*Note the Header should read Republican who Protest The End of the War on Drugs

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091020/ap_on_re_us/us_medical_marijuana (broken link)

Way to extend Freedom Obama (Ron Paul would be proud of you) now get our troops out of Iraq and get rid of the Patriot Act! (No more police state! MORE FREEDOM!)

Last edited by dorock99; 10-19-2009 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:19 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
The thread title threw me off. Do you mean Repubs who support war on drugs won't get your vote? I'm a conservative, I'm deeply anti-drug, but I worked the midnight shift in a half-way house supporting myself through college. I saw too many drug addicts, and I have no interest in seeing heroin or coke or any of their by-products legalized.

Pot is different, and I know I'll tick people off, but here goes. Pot should legalized, taxed and regulated. Same with pot from other countries, especially Mexico, and take away the incentive to smuggle it in.

You can do what you want with your body, but I will resist the attempt to legalize anything more than pot.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
The thread title threw me off. Do you mean Repubs who support war on drugs won't get your vote? I'm a conservative, I'm deeply anti-drug, but I worked the midnight shift in a half-way house supporting myself through college. I saw too many drug addicts, and I have no interest in seeing heroin or coke or any of their by-products legalized.

Pot is different, and I know I'll tick people off, but here goes. Pot should legalized, taxed and regulated. Same with pot from other countries, especially Mexico, and take away the incentive to smuggle it in.

You can do what you want with your body, but I will resist the attempt to legalize anything more than pot.

Yes, any Repub that supports the continuation of the War on Drugs (will lose my vote). I'm independent and it is a matter of freedom of choice and extending freedom, so any politician that supports reducing freedom will not get my vote to make it 100% clear.

Also working in a half-way house is not indicative of the mass population. I made a point to say I'm sick of having my rights reduced under the guise of a massive problem that does not exist. I have said this in other forums, but i will say it again to make it clear. Just because some unjust/unfair law was legislated into existence does not make it morally correct. (example if some legislator created an unjust/unfair law that said it was ok to beat up old men..and the law was upheld by the supreme court doesn't justify its morality. Its immoral to impede on the individual inalienable freedoms and rights of citizens!) To further this point even if the unjust/unfair law was held up by the Supreme Court or any other magistrate does not make the law morally correct. Any attack on individual freedom is a law i will not support. There is no evidence that has proven anything about illicit drug use leading to an unproductive life. The last president of our country and the current one both did cocaine and well history has proven it didn't stop them from becoming President! (more importantly it didn't stop them from becoming productive contributing members of our society.)

I'm sick of people using the 1% or 2% of individuals (half way house in your example) as an absolute indication of what the vast majority of responsible individuals will do! Fact of the matter is alcohol is legal and the majority of people don't engage in alcoholic behavior that is extremely detrimental to their well being. MOST people can have a drink without going over board or becoming an alcoholic. To parade the small percentage of individuals that cannot help themselves to one or two drinks is dishonest politics. This is what they've done to legislate "drugs" and reduce freedom. People should be free to live their lives as they see fit without the interference of the government. In my opinion as long as you are not engaging in limiting, coercion, or impeding on another citizens individual rights, there is no reason you should be treated as a criminal.

Last edited by dorock99; 10-19-2009 at 08:34 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
I will vote for any politician who promises to continue the war on drugs, but I would prefer if pot is not one of those drugs. I suspect most of America feels that way.

Last edited by Dockside; 10-19-2009 at 09:05 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I saw too many drug addicts, and I have no interest in seeing heroin or coke or any of their by-products legalized.
Cocaine actually has a whole range of useful products that are in no way harmful... If you have ever been sunburned or visited the dentist, odds are you have used cocaine derivatives. Heroin is the worst possible drug, however, like Cocaine it has a wide range of non-abusive uses. Not all opiates are bad.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:29 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,833 times
Schizophrenia and marijuana use:

Studies link marijuana use with schizophrenia

Old 10-19-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Cocaine actually has a whole range of useful products that are in no way harmful... If you have ever been sunburned or visited the dentist, odds are you have used cocaine derivatives. Heroin is the worst possible drug, however, like Cocaine it has a wide range of non-abusive uses. Not all opiates are bad.
Absolutely agree. I meant for recreational use, especially when it turns into an addiction.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post

Studies link cigarette use to cancer (i don't see anyone banning smoking)

Studies link Television use to retardation (i don't see anyone banning TV)

Studies link sex to children (but not everyone that has sex has a child)

Studies link zoo's to pandas (but not every zoo has a panda)

Studies link black guys to large endowments (but I'm sure not every black guy has a large endowment. not that i want to find either)

Studies link sleeping to dreaming (but I'm sure not everyone dreams when they sleep)

Studies link home-runs with steroids (but not every home-run hitter uses steroids)

Studies link marriage to divorce (but not every marriage ends in divorce)

Studies link homeless men to shopping carts (but not every homeless man has a shopping cart)

Point being studies can link whatever you want the study to link to. I was obviously being tongue and cheeck after cancer, but for you to assume that everyone who smokes pot is going to get schizophrenia you'd have to assume, that each and every person is going to do the same amount, buy the same pot, smoke the same amount each and every week, and etc...(all these variables) =====Simply are not possible because people are not equal in anything they do!

Last edited by dorock99; 10-19-2009 at 08:49 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 08:49 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post

I suppose as with ANY drug, too much is a bad thing. Personally, I think pot is completely harmless...much more harmless than alcohol which is of course totally & completely socially acceptable. Just try going up to a person that you don't know & ask them about smoking pot....chances are you won't even do it or if you do, you'll either come across some prude who thinks all drugs are bad or someone who smokes it but they're afraid of talking about it...then you get the types who don't mind talking about it at all...those are my favorites.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,997,693 times
We can make a lot of money if we legalize cannabis, so why wouldn't Republicans want in? Tax it! I'd be fine with paying an extra $2 for an eighth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies