Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:01 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,370,574 times

Advertisements

The moral of this story is that when you ask the government for help, even in good economic times, expect that you will get it with puppet strings. Anyone who expects that government dollars (or healthcare) will ever be ladled out freely and a smile during bad economic times is severely mathematically-challenged.

This conservative agrees with Obama on this issue. When you knowingly deal with a loan shark, you deserve the shoddy treatment you get.

* We're the government and we're here to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 06:05 PM

98 posts, read 99,718 times
IMO, anyone that takes bailout money from the government has to live with the consequences. If they pay it back, fine. If they are still under the bailout "umbrella," then they have to abide by the government's rules. Just my opinion.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:07 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,839,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Mmmm what kind of talent do you suppose they will get for 200k once the others have left? Again lets take the worst team in (pick a sport) cut their salaries by 90% do you think that would produce a winner?
Couldn't do any worse than running the company into a total loss in need of a government bailout!

BTW, no man's services are valued at a million dollars or more per day! Not even Jesus wanted exorbitantly high pay with bonuses etc..........

Old 10-21-2009, 06:07 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,764,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
The moral of this story is that when you ask the government for help, even in good economic times, expect that you will get it with puppet strings. Anyone who expects that government dollars (or healthcare) will ever be ladled out freely and a smile during bad economic times is severely mathematically-challenged.

This conservative agrees with Obama on this issue. When you knowingly deal with a loan shark, you deserve the shoddy treatment you get.

* We're the government and we're here to help.
You are right of course but this will lead to classic unintended consequences. No other firm will ever accept government largesse. They will go chapter 11 which will protect their salaries. the little guy will get laid off of course but that is no concern to Obama. He would rather pursue a vindictive, counter productive, silly policy.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:09 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,143,309 times
Quote:
Mmmm what kind of talent do you suppose they will get for 200k once the others have left? Again lets take the worst team in (pick a sport) cut their salaries by 90% do you think that would produce a winner?
I do not regard greed, selfishness and thievery talents. The problem is that you do. These attributes are actually lack of integrity, unjust and unfair business practices and in some cases out and out fraud. These are negative traits, not talent. We need a whole new group of up and coming financial people that are regulated and to put an end to the free for all that Wall Street has enjoyed on the backs of the American taxpayer and the people that were screwed. The motto of "Socialize the Losses...Privatize the Profits does does not sit well with me, strange that it sits well with you.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berneke View Post
IMO, anyone that takes bailout money from the government has to live with the consequences. If they pay it back, fine. If they are still under the bailout "umbrella," then they have to abide by the government's rules. Just my opinion.
But those rules were made "after the fact".

How would you like your loan terms changed after the fact and you get no input or time to pay it off ?

Old 10-21-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Couldn't do any worse than running the company into a total loss in need of a government bailout!

BTW, no man's services are valued at a million dollars or more per day! Not even Jesus wanted exorbitantly high pay with bonuses etc..........

Oh you sure could they could continue to operate at a loss and require more government money and never get back on its feet. This dopey policy will delay for years the restoration of these companies to the shareholders. That could be obama's goal surely nobody could be so stupid as to think this action will actually accelerate their recovery.

I don't care what anyone makes but if you believe that make sure you rage against athletes and actors.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I do not regard greed, selfishness and thievery talents. The problem is that you do. These attributes are actually lack of integrity, unjust and unfair business practices and in some cases out and out fraud. These are negative traits, not talent. We need a whole new group of up and coming financial people that are regulated and to put an end to the free for all that Wall Street has enjoyed on the backs of the American taxpayer and the people that were screwed. The motto of "Socialize the Losses...Privatize the Profits does does not sit well with me, strange that it sits well with you.
We have plenty of regulators on Wall Street. They just didn't do their jobs.
You want to put in more people now..regulate the regulators ?

Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,839,723 times
Quote:
You are right of course but this will lead to classic unintended consequences. No other firm will ever accept government largesse. They will go chapter 11 which will protect their salaries. the little guy will get laid off of course but that is no concern to Obama. He would rather pursue a vindictive, counter productive, silly policy.
You like having your tax dollars spent to make sure the filthy rich executives, who ran a company into the ground, get multi million dollar bonuses?

If the executives leave the company, good riddance to them. Surely, America has more talented people than that!

Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

Hey I was against the bailout. But as a shareholder (through the bailout) I don't want to discourage the best talent from coming to and staying at my company. It is foolish to penalize talent for working at my company why would I want to send them running to the competition.

You clearly view capitalism as the problem, I do not I view it as the solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies