Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:20 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
CHENEY: On the security front, I think there’s a general consensus that we’ve made major progress, that the surge has worked. That’s been a major success.

RADDATZ: Two-third of Americans say it’s not worth fighting.

CHENEY: So?

RADDATZ So? You don’t care what the American people think?

CHENEY: No. I think you cannot be blown off course by the fluctuations in the public opinion polls.

That was hardly a fluctuation of public opinion. Somehow I don't believe the smug arrogance of SO? is what people are looking for in a government supposedly representative of the people. At least I'm not.
I'm not a defender or supporter of VP Cheney or his daughter. I'm pointing out that Cheney is behaving in an aberrant fashion. Vice Presidents rarely, if ever, act as vocal defenders of their administration's actions after they leave office. And Cheney isn't just defending his administration, despite what sanrene says. He and his daughters are pitching policy. That's what Liz Cheney's website is all about. Pitching a policy that is much more aggressive than President Obama's. The policy is not a mirror of Bush/Cheney policy, it's a progression. Cheney has no reason to do this. Any so-called attacks on Bush/Cheney by the Obama administration is empty rhetoric. Most Americans just want to put the past behind us and move on. And Cheney and daughter aren't dwelling on the past, either, they are very focused on the future.

I just think VP Cheney is behaving in a way that is far outside the behavior of most ex-VP's. He's not planning to run for office. His association with GW, his age and health are all large negative factors. So what's he doing? He's helping his daughter achieve her political ambitions. And he gets to do it in a way that gives him no small sense of satisfaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 11:20 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think she's doing exactly what she needs to do to run for office. She's solidifying that core conservative base. And part of that base is made up of birthers and extremists. However much she subscribes to their positions, she's going to carefully avoid disavowing them. And she's working the talking circuit, making appearances, making speeches, writing newspaper columns, appearing on Hannity, all while painfully stressing that she's just a mom, her priorities are shuffling all five to their various school and extracurricular activities. What that says to me, is she's trying to fly, but stay under the radar. And using her father as point man is a strategic choice.

The launching of that new website, and the amount of networking she's doing, all suggests that groundwork is being laid for some pretty ambitious plans. Not rural Utah.
Oh, she can make all the plans and lay all the groundwork she wants. Unless she chooses her district very carefully, she's going nowhere.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Oh, she can make all the plans and lay all the groundwork she wants. Unless she chooses her district very carefully, she's going nowhere.
And is there anything about Cheney or his daughter that makes you think they ever behave in a way that isn't thoroughly thought out? All their choices are made very carefully. That is something that should be very clear about them by now.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:30 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
I'd go Palin over Cheney.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,209,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Speech tonight at the Center for Security Policy; I just love it when he tacks obama to the wall.

The Weekly Standard

Oh, but we can't hold obama to his own "words"....can we?

It is shameful and downright criminal what he is doing with Afghanistan.

There is plenty more on a range of issue where that came from.

Waiting for the link to the full speech.
Cheney kind of reminds me of Palin and the rest of the NeoCON Party, irrelevance...

Old 10-22-2009, 11:48 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,209,457 times
Quote:
And is there anything about Cheney or his daughter that makes you think they ever behave in a way that isn't thoroughly thought out? All their choices are made very carefully. That is something that should be very clear about them by now.
I guess that is what makes these two neoCONS amusing... His daughter is not the sharpest tack in the box. I saw her debate Wallace and she was how shall I say, taken to the woodshed...

Old 10-22-2009, 11:54 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
I'm not a defender or supporter of VP Cheney or his daughter. I'm pointing out that Cheney is behaving in an aberrant fashion. Vice Presidents rarely, if ever, act as vocal defenders of their administration's actions after they leave office. And Cheney isn't just defending his administration, despite what sanrene says. He and his daughters are pitching policy. That's what Liz Cheney's website is all about. Pitching a policy that is much more aggressive than President Obama's. The policy is not a mirror of Bush/Cheney policy, it's a progression. Cheney has no reason to do this. Any so-called attacks on Bush/Cheney by the Obama administration is empty rhetoric. Most Americans just want to put the past behind us and move on. And Cheney and daughter aren't dwelling on the past, either, they are very focused on the future.

I just think VP Cheney is behaving in a way that is far outside the behavior of most ex-VP's. He's not planning to run for office. His association with GW, his age and health are all large negative factors. So what's he doing? He's helping his daughter achieve her political ambitions. And he gets to do it in a way that gives him no small sense of satisfaction.
You comment on his word "So" in answer to that question and it makes me wonder what our Congressional leaders and Obama really are thinking by pushing this healthcare "reform" that will certainly include public option at the end when Rasmussen says that the score for that very bill is 53% against and 42% for. The number of opponents may not be as high as that 2/3 number but it is still a majority and growing every day.

Did Obama promise to complete this "war of necessity", as he called it during the campaign? There are plenty of video clips that show him doing just that. I guess once the FCC finishes its work today they won't be available on YouTube or soon after they finish.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
So, Cheney is accusing Obama for continuing the Bush/Cheney policy in Afghanistan. He says the Bush/Cheney policy is a big mistake.

Is that it?

I don't agree with his assesment, because Obama broke away from that policy already by sending 21 000 additional troops there, and now they are talking about sending more. Bush/Cheney mulled for three months over the troop increase to Iraq, so why is Cheney so upset about 30 days now?

Old 10-22-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You comment on his word "So" in answer to that question and it makes me wonder what our Congressional leaders and Obama really are thinking by pushing this healthcare "reform" that will certainly include public option at the end when Rasmussen says that the score for that very bill is 53% against and 42% for. The number of opponents may not be as high as that 2/3 number but it is still a majority and growing every day.

Did Obama promise to complete this "war of necessity", as he called it during the campaign? There are plenty of video clips that show him doing just that. I guess once the FCC finishes its work today they won't be available on YouTube or soon after they finish.
I didn't comment on his word "so" at all. Did you mean to address this to another poster?

Old 10-22-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
I guess that is what makes these two neoCONS amusing... His daughter is not the sharpest tack in the box. I saw her debate Wallace and she was how shall I say, taken to the woodshed...
I'm going to see if I can find a clip of this so I can get a better feel for her. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies