Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:23 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times

Advertisements

Glenn Beck like other talking heads (conservative or liberal) don't lie but they don't tell you all the facts either and present one side of things to manipulate audiences. Case in point, Beck shows a chart with Medicare having the highest number of rejected claims when compared to all other insurers. That isn't a lie. But what Beck doesn't tell you is that Medicare covers a subset of the population that is also the oldest and most ill so obviously, they will have the most rejected claims since they are enduring the most expensive and involved treatment. Again, was Beck lying? No! It's just classic manipulation. The sheeple who watch him see this one sided presentation of facts and are enamored with him. Don't worry Maddow and the libs do the same. I saw Sanjay Gupta and Anderson Cooper doing the same thing with regard to healthcare. All I ask is that people don't become sheeple. Don't fall prey to these talking heads. Watch them but don't drink the Kool Aid. Form your own opinions and educate yourself regardless of what political party or ideology you hold allegiance to. There is truth to both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 02:37 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Since I don't have access to sound card right now, I will have to wait to watch the videos you linked. I do periodically watch Beck. He comes on at odd times for me (2pm? or 11pm).

I did however watch a segment you posted previously. In that segment Beck asserted that the Nixon's enemies list was just a list of who not to invite for dinner. How would you characterize that statement: lie, falsehood, ignorant, self-serving? It was in a segment where he also asserting that no other President's administration has gone after the media like Obama's. Well I guess Nixon was using the IRS and the Justice department to go after the press and not the media, so maybe Beck escapes on a technicality.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:39 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,199,456 times
Delusional Beck's latest conspiracy theory, "OnStar" is spying on you! Betchya Roysoldboy falls for it....

YouTube - Glenn Beck And Dwight Schrute's Conspiracy About OnStar

Old 10-22-2009, 02:44 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
As I watched Beck yesterday I couldn't help wondering how many of the things he said would be considered lies, and provable at that, by so many of the people here who do not watch him. I would really like to know how many of the things he said were really lies with some proof of same. I am again inviting you non-watchers but all out haters to watch the first 15 minutes of his show and then tell me how many of his declarations were lies.

Watch Glenn Beck Clips Week 43 and get back to me about all the lies you caught him in. If you try later than this evening you will have to go to the second group of clips to see that show.

Now you could skip to segment 5 and tell me how many of the names he repeated that people have called him are not true also. That part is very humorous.
Well, did the hotline to the white house ever ring? If not, then Iguess there were no lies.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:50 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Glenn Beck like other talking heads (conservative or liberal) don't lie but they don't tell you all the facts either and present one side of things to manipulate audiences. Case in point, Beck shows a chart with Medicare having the highest number of rejected claims when compared to all other insurers. That isn't a lie. But what Beck doesn't tell you is that Medicare covers a subset of the population that is also the oldest and most ill so obviously, they will have the most rejected claims since they are enduring the most expensive and involved treatment. Again, was Beck lying? No! It's just classic manipulation. The sheeple who watch him see this one sided presentation of facts and are enamored with him. Don't worry Maddow and the libs do the same. I saw Sanjay Gupta and Anderson Cooper doing the same thing with regard to healthcare. All I ask is that people don't become sheeple. Don't fall prey to these talking heads. Watch them but don't drink the Kool Aid. Form your own opinions and educate yourself regardless of what political party or ideology you hold allegiance to. There is truth to both sides.
I'm glad you were the first poster (in 4 pages) to cite a specific example. And that you agree that what he actually said was factual, not the one of the lies Beck is being accused of. It isn't a lie to not tell the other side of the story.

I'm not a big Beck fan, he's hard to listen to. But at least he attempts to present issues and facts ignored by the MSM. Are they the facts that support his position? Sure, that's part of debate or a talk show such as he hosts, not journalistic reporting. Beck, and all the rest on both sides don't claim to be reporters. Unfortunately, most of todays so-called reporters do no better a job of presenting both sides of an issue.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:55 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,199,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Well, did the hotline to the white house ever ring? If not, then Iguess there were no lies.
I think Beck has given up on the hotline and now has carrier pigeons!

Old 10-22-2009, 02:56 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm glad you were the first poster (in 4 pages) to cite a specific example. And that you agree that what he actually said was factual, not the one of the lies Beck is being accused of. It isn't a lie to not tell the other side of the story.

I'm not a big Beck fan, he's hard to listen to. But at least he attempts to present issues and facts ignored by the MSM. Are they the facts that support his position? Sure, that's part of debate or a talk show such as he hosts, not journalistic reporting. Beck, and all the rest on both sides don't claim to be reporters. Unfortunately, most of todays so-called reporters do no better a job of presenting both sides of an issue.
Honestly, none of these talking heads lie. They have hundreds of staffers (college kids) who work behind the scenes and fact check so that they are not humiliated. And you are right, it's not a lie to not present all the facts. And that's where these talking heads make their money! It isn't lying but it is manipulating people. It is being biased. They deliberately leave out certain facts to put their spin on issue. And they all do it regardless if we are talking about Maddow, Olberman, Dobbs, Beck etc.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:20 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,464,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Honestly, none of these talking heads lie. They have hundreds of staffers (college kids) who work behind the scenes and fact check so that they are not humiliated. And you are right, it's not a lie to not present all the facts. And that's where these talking heads make their money! It isn't lying but it is manipulating people. It is being biased. They deliberately leave out certain facts to put their spin on issue. And they all do it regardless if we are talking about Maddow, Olberman, Dobbs, Beck etc.
And that is what makes it dangerous. Are Americans too lazy or too uninformed to grasp the whole picture? Do commentators have to distort the truth or to leave out important facts? That is called manipulation and even Murdoch, the CEO of FOX media, has admitted that his channel tried to manipulate his viewers.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:25 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,714,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
How much is Beck paying you to promote his show on internet message boards? Many forums would consider this kind of crap as spam and delete it....
So, since you can't find any lies, attack the messenger. Typical leftist strategy.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:25 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
22 post and i'm waiting to see who actually accused Becks show from yesterday of lying...Maybe you could point to it.
Shhhh..you are ruining the 'victim' game. Beck is a victim here, don't you forget that. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies