Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should All Americans be allowed to visit Cuba?
Yes 26 46.43%
NO 6 10.71%
Be able to visit Cuba and lift trade embargo as well 24 42.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times

Advertisements

That was then, this is now:

The 47-year-old trade embargo against Cuba has been shaken by the revelation that drilling for oil and natural gas is about to take place less than 50 miles off the U.S. coast — in Cuban waters. The Cuban government is not only sitting on a potential oil bonanza but it has already awarded oil and gas exploration leases to companies from Canada, China, Spain, India, Venezuela and Norway. And Cuba is negotiating with Brazil's Petrobras, a company with years of experience in deepwater drilling.

If U.S. firms are forbidden by their own government to drill for oil and gas in Cuban waters, then the national oil companies of other countries will benefit while our investor-owned companies watch from the sidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
So... "drill here, drill now?"... That's a strange rationale for this whole argument. I mean considering McCain was chastised for that slogan...

Old 10-27-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So... "drill here, drill now?"... That's a strange rationale for this whole argument. I mean considering McCain was chastised for that slogan...
Not everything has to be a Republican/Democrat argument. I think this is just a common sense argument. This continued embargo makes us look stupid and it does not work. Drilling will take place - it just won't be US - dumber than dumb.

Last edited by pollyrobin; 10-27-2009 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: non related question:)

Old 10-27-2009, 08:41 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
In April 2009 Obama lifted the ban, allowing Cuban Americans to visit Cuba. A new poll of Cuban Americans shows a strong majority favor allowing all Americans to travel to the island. Cuban Americans going to Cuba is to be around 200,000 visitors by year's end.

I think if Cuban Americans are allowed to visit Cuba, why not the rest of us. The US is the only country in the world that does not allow its citizens to travel to Cuba.

Why should the rest of us be denied to opportunity to see a lot of classic cars - 1950's and older (approx. 60,000 on the streets of Cuba) drink fantastic rum, and smoke the best cigars in the world right in Cuba. I think we should lift the embargo as well. I'd like to bring Cuban Rum and Cigars back to US legally.
I went when Bush was in there. Had a nice time too. Bush might have a problem with that but he can kiss my ass. Nobody is going to tell me where I can and cannot travel. I go where I want. Flights from Toronto are not that expensive either. BTW when me and the wife go to Canada (her home), I always bring back a few boxes of Cuban cigars. I don't smoke them myself but I give them out to people at work that do.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:42 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
It's fundamentally not the role of the US federal government to tell citizens where they can travel around the world. I certainly don't respect that type of limit on my liberty. If Americans want to travel to Cuba, so be it. It takes quite a lot of statism to argue that the US government should use its authority to try and locate and punish such Americans based on their travels.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
And you know as well as I do that those Americans have been breaking the law if they did not get a license to go to Cuba from the Treasury Dept.

You and I also both know that two low-level state employees of the State of Florida went to Cuba illegally, via Cancun, Mexico, and the trip was authorized by a Jeb Bush political appointee, and that the trip was PAID FOR WITH FLORIDA TAXPAYER MONEY.

However, it was amazing to many that NO ONE cared that basically under Jeb Bush's watch, his employees broke federal law by traveling to Cuba illegally and that the trip was paid for entirely by Florida taxpayer money! Now that's a very good "administrator" for you....Jeb Bush, the Cuban American exiles' advocate basically, didn't even know that a political appointee he made had authorized travel to Cuba by two of his employees, and THEN when Jeb was informed about the trip, the "whole thing" got shoved under the rug. TODAY that political appointee is still employed by the State of Florida in the same position, earning a good salary and racking up those retirement/pension benefits.

So WHY shouldn't the rest of us get to travel to Cuba legally rather than taking the risk of breaking the law and getting a $50,000 fine? If Jeb Bush is okay with giving YOUR tax money to Fidel Castro via state employees traveling to Cuba illegally, spending a week there "on business," why should YOU care?

Oh, yes. And btw, it is against the law in the state of Florida for any agency to send anyone to Cuba illegally, and the state provides that any agency which breaks the law in that manner will lose its FUNDING. But, Nope, the agency which sent two of it's low-level employees to Cuba for a week still has its funding and is still going strong.
Because he is Jeb Bush and the laws don't apply to him. The same reason his trash addict daughter can go around the state with fake prescriptions and not get any jail time.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 PM

If Obama had any balls- which he doesn't it appears- he would lift all the BS and the embargo too.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:00 AM

Jamaica to US: Lift embargo on Cuba

Published: Wednesday | October 28, 2009

Edmond Campbell, Senior Staff Reporter

PARLIAMENT PASSED a resolution yesterday, sending an unequivocal message to the United States (US) that it should remove the 50-year-old economic embargo against Cuba.

Moderator cut: copyright issues

Last edited by Marka; 10-29-2009 at 05:24 AM..

Old 10-28-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Jamaica to US: Lift embargo on Cuba

Published: Wednesday | October 28, 2009

Edmond Campbell, Senior Staff Reporter

PARLIAMENT PASSED a resolution yesterday, sending an unequivocal message to the United States (US) that it should remove the 50-year-old economic embargo against Cuba.
I agree. It is stupid to have an embargo against a country where you have a military base. BTW they should either close that or renegotiate a SOFA with Cuba to keep it there.

Last edited by Marka; 10-29-2009 at 05:25 AM..

Old 10-28-2009, 12:02 PM

537 posts, read 292,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
If we are not trading with Cuba because of communist reasons/dictator/disagreement with government, they we should cut everything off with China.

But wait..no...many on the right would argue that is going against capitalism as they would do anything to defend businesses!

The difference between China and Cuba is that China pays its bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies