Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If someone is caught taking government-paid health benefits fraudulantly, what should their penalty
They should pay a fine 0 0%
They should pay a fine and do jail time 0 0%
They should pay a fine, do jail time, and be banned from receiving further government assistance 4 80.00%
Let them go - everyone cheats the system in America 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:39 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times

Advertisements

Do you know anyone who is abusing the system, and committing fraud?

'The U.S. loses at least $60 billion to health-care fraud every year, and some estimates put the cost as high as 10% of the nation's total health-care spending, which exceeds $2 trillion. Medicare, the federal insurance program for the elderly and disabled, and Medicaid, the federal-state program for the poor, are especially susceptible.'

Lawmakers Target Medicare and Medicaid Fraud - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Yes, but privacy laws make it nearly impossible to turn these people in.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:08 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
They should be put in traction for a week.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:12 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
How much of the fraud is by "Companies" and how much by "Individuals" and how much is by "Doctor Offices/Hospitals".

I would put my money on "Corporate" fraud being the biggest percentage. (I could be wrong)

from the WSJ article (although not directly related):

Assistant Attorney General Tony West said the Justice Department has focused on misconduct by pharmaceutical companies and device makers. Last month, the department reached a $2.3 billion settlement with Pfizer Inc. over its promotion of certain drugs, the largest health-care fraud settlement for the department. In January, Eli Lilly & Co. settled with the department for $1.4 billion over the marketing of anti-psychotic drug Zyprexa.

Last edited by plannine; 11-02-2009 at 09:22 AM..

Old 11-02-2009, 09:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Oh, I can think of a couple of people who personally are in the hundreds of thousands if not millions by now.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
How much of the fraud is by "Companies" and how much by "Individuals" and how much is by "Doctor Offices/Hospitals".

I would put my money on "Corporate" fraud being the biggest percentage. (I could be wrong)

from the WSJ article (although not directly related):

Assistant Attorney General Tony West said the Justice Department has focused on misconduct by pharmaceutical companies and device makers. Last month, the department reached a $2.3 billion settlement with Pfizer Inc. over its promotion of certain drugs, the largest health-care fraud settlement for the department. In January, Eli Lilly & Co. settled with the department for $1.4 billion over the marketing of anti-psychotic drug Zyprexa.
That would be an interesting study. They are 2 different genres of fraud, both are institutionalized, and are as 'American' as apple pie.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:17 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post

My understanding is that most of it is billing fraud by doctors, clinics, pharmacies & medical supply companies.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:11 PM

[quote=Gary Siete;11448511]My understanding is that most of it is billing fraud by doctors, clinics, pharmacies & medical supply companies.[/quot

There are plenty of married women who have employed husbands, who claim they have been deserted, in order to collect free hospital care for their chlildbirths.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:14 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Do you know anyone who is abusing the system, and committing fraud?

'The U.S. loses at least $60 billion to health-care fraud every year, and some estimates put the cost as high as 10% of the nation's total health-care spending, which exceeds $2 trillion. Medicare, the federal insurance program for the elderly and disabled, and Medicaid, the federal-state program for the poor, are especially susceptible.'

Lawmakers Target Medicare and Medicaid Fraud - WSJ.com
Scrap the sytem completely and go to a cash only health care system. Watch costs plummet and quality go up.

I know it will never happen until our economy completely collapses trying to pay for all this health care, but it was a nice fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies