Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 10:32 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times

Advertisements

And my company asked if I would like to donate deducted from my check now on to the United Way. I said yes, not a huge amount but something anyway.

Then I added up the fed tax, SS and Medicare that was deducted from my check, it comes out to almost 25% of my paycheck , I'd say that is a decent chunk.

Funny, nobody ever asked me if I wanted to donate and asked me how much I would be willing. It is seized before it even reaches my hand. I wonder (not) what would happen if I went to the accounting dept and said I would like to revise how much is taken out of my check. I wonder (not) what would happen if I said don't take it out this time I need it for a root canal.

If you think I don't want to pay taxes well I don't mind to a extent the point is you have no say so over any of it. And then politicians **** away what they took from you that if you were to refuse you would be either unemployed or jailed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 10:35 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Isn't it some compensation, though, knowing that the administration has guaranteed -- with your help-- that the AIG execs will all have a Merry Christmas?

Hope and Change. The fat cats get the hope, and we're left with pocket change.

Obama is turning out to be Bush with a jump shot. Nothing less, nothing more.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:38 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,850,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Isn't it some compensation, though, knowing that the administration has guaranteed -- with your help-- that the AIG execs will all have a Merry Christmas?

Isnt it great that they are working hard and paying for someone to sit at home and watch tv

Old 11-13-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Isnt it great that they are working hard and paying for someone to sit at home and watch tv
Those babies aren't watching tv.

They're in the caribbean on a nude beach sipping drinks with umbrellas in them, and watching the price of gold go through the roof.

And here we sit, swaddled in down, watching the first snowflakes drift down, sipping thin coffee and wondering if we'll be able to afford to die.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:48 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
Quote:

I happen to live in a state with no state income tax (FL) so thanks for that. Healthcare, such as those really put in a hard spot, national defense, things like that I am not bitching about paying taxes for that I am saying however that freedom of control of your finances is a illusion many times in America.

I am a middleclass wage earner in terms of classism, the amount taken from me is not a small amount in my eyes compared to the amount of time and work I did for it. Government in the last decades be it whatever party has done little to validate that they at least spend it wisely. Yet, the only solution from the current Democrats is tax even more?

Old 11-13-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Those babies aren't watching tv.

They're in the caribbean on a nude beach sipping drinks with umbrellas in them, and watching the price of gold go through the roof.

And here we sit, swaddled in down, watching the first snowflakes drift down, sipping thin coffee and wondering if we'll be able to afford to die.
Who is talking about babies?

We are talking about their taxes going to pay for someone to sit around and watch tv while he is working.

If you want to be able to aford something get a job or improve your life. Dont think its someone elses place to pay for you

Old 11-13-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I happen to live in a state with no state income tax (FL) so thanks for that. Healthcare, such as those really put in a hard spot, national defense, things like that I am not bitching about paying taxes for that I am saying however that freedom of control of your finances is a illusion many times in America.

I am a middleclass wage earner in terms of classism, the amount taken from me is not a small amount in my eyes compared to the amount of time and work I did for it. Government in the last decades be it whatever party has done little to validate that they at least spend it wisely. Yet, the only solution from the current Democrats is tax even more?
My state has no income tax either (WA). What we DO have is a one-party political system (Deep Blue), and the highest gas taxes in the nation. Try close to three bucks a gallon, right here, right now.

The Dems are softening us up for an income tax -- they have nearly a two-thirds majority in the state legislature and carte blanche tax-wise, thanks to Seattle.

It's a classic set-up: one urban county filled with left-wing yuppies flush with Microsoft stock dicatating to the hard-working folks in the rest of the state what THEY will do with OUR tax money to help out the minority groups for whom they feel such tneder compassion, but not to the extent that they will live near them or send their kids to the same schools.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Who is talking about babies?

We are talking about their taxes going to pay for someone to sit around and watch tv while he is working.

If you want to be able to aford something get a job or improve your life. Dont think its someone elses place to pay for you
Unless you work for AIG.

Do try to catch my drift.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Unless you work for AIG.

Do try to catch my drift.
You want to punish the rich and reward the lazy

What you fail to get is people will stop working out of resentment

Old 11-13-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
You want to punish the rich and reward the lazy

What you fail to get is people will stop working out of resentment
Thank you for the encouragement.

If I can do my part to force the AIG folks to quit, I will consider my life a success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies