Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:03 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times

Advertisements

I guess I should tell my older brother who was born in a foreign country and served for 8 years in the Air Force and was a Honor Guard overseas and carried the caskets of dead troops at Ramstein that he is not a "real American" since he wasn't born here but became a citizen while serving.
As for the fallacy that you were born on US soil makes you a real American is laughable at best. Most legal immigrants are more patriotic than those born here.
By the way unless you are a Native American Indian nobody is a "real American"!
Meb is as "American" as they come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 06:38 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I guess I should tell my older brother who was born in a foreign country and served for 8 years in the Air Force and was a Honor Guard overseas and carried the caskets of dead troops at Ramstein that he is not a "real American" since he wasn't born here but became a citizen while serving.
As for the fallacy that you were born on US soil makes you a real American is laughable at best. Most legal immigrants are more patriotic than those born here.
My wife is a 'Native American Indian'. She occasionally gets asked if she speaks English....

Being 'American' is a legal concept. If you're an American citizen, you're an American. If not, you're not. But we're not a 'nation of immigrants'. Most of us were born here....

Old 11-03-2009, 07:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
sorry Rob, that is not true. To be a real American is more than being a native American. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You older brother was not born in this country, why I do not know. That does not mean he is not a real American, and I don't think many of us feel that way. I was born here, and I am a real American. People who have come from others coutries and earned their citizenship are real Americans.

By the way, thanks for your brothers service to our country..

Nita

Old 11-05-2009, 09:27 AM

537 posts, read 292,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
As a...future USA citizen,I say that the answer is easy...
Immigrants who like America & want to become Americans,may be even more patriotic to born Americans...
But immigrants who come to USA just for the money,with an expatriate mentality,will just become "Americans " on paper,never in heart,with all the well known symbols of their antiamericanism,living in ethnic neighbourhoods,speaking their native tongue in family,refusing to speak proper english,pushing the political agenda of their native country...
Correct. I've had the displeasure to know many of these ungrateful immigrants.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:00 PM

43 posts, read 27,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
As the son of an immigrant and the husband to one; I'd argue that most immigrants are more American than many that are born and raised here, because they come from such impoverished and corrupt countries that they truly appreciate what this great nation has to offer, unlike the leftists who hate this country.
You make the wrong (although widely held) assumption that all immigrants in the US fled "poverty" or "corruption" in their home countries. While these two conditions may apply to many, they are not true for all. Some "immigrants" come here seeking political freedom, others come to study at prestigious universities, others may come seeking religious freedom, etc. I do agree with you that the majority of these individuals who elect to become citizens do tend to better appreciate the opportunities the US offers than their native counterparts who have never experienced anything different.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:48 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/03/sports/03runner.html

So my question is, how do we define an American? Are foreign born American citizens some how lesser than their native born counterparts? I know naturalized Americans can't became Presidents, but other than that I don't really see the difference. If you hear that someone is a naturalized citizen, do you think of them differently? Also, do you consider the Marathon winner an American runner?
American is not a nationality.

U.S. American is your nationality. (look at your passport)

Naturalized U.S. Americans can vote period.They have the same privileges and responsabilities. Besides, who cares if they can´t be presidents. 1 president out of 310 million people=? that has no relevance.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:29 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
American is not a nationality.

U.S. American is your nationality. (look at your passport)

Naturalized U.S. Americans can vote period.They have the same privileges and responsabilities. Besides, who cares if they can´t be presidents. 1 president out of 310 million people=? that has no relevance.
If you are a naturalized American citizen you can't be President and you can't be in line of sucession to the Presidency under Constitution law and American law. So you can't be VP or a legal Presidental sucessor if you are President pro temp of the Senate or Speaker of the House. There is a problem if you are a Cabinet Officer. For example Henry Kissinger couldn't be President.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Good immigrants (Asians, Africans, and Europeans) want to make America stronger. They want to bring aspects of their culture to us while still fully acculturating to our society.

Bad immigrants (Muslims and Hispanics) want to conquer America. Their plan is to come here, breed like rabbits, and wipe our society off the map. They believe that we are truly spineless and dumb enough to not do anything about it.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:24 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
If he is an American citizen legally then he is just the same as I am and I was born here. I have the nothing but respect for immigrants that actually do it the right way. Bravo to them and welcome to the USA!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:53 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Good immigrants (Asians, Africans, and Europeans) want to make America stronger. They want to bring aspects of their culture to us while still fully acculturating to our society.

Bad immigrants (Muslims and Hispanics) want to conquer America. Their plan is to come here, breed like rabbits, and wipe our society off the map. They believe that we are truly spineless and dumb enough to not do anything about it.

This is the same political crap that has been a staple in America. In the mid 19th century it was the Micks who were dirty and Papists to boot. Then we got the the pollacks, bohunks, slovaks and hunkies with their lousy english and if they weren't Catholics they were adherents to that funny looking cross and just look at their Bibles. They can't even get the alphabet right. Fast forward to the 1890s and it was those Christ Killers from Pale and those dark Dagos again those papists. No I haven't forgot all those strange peoples from the Balkans, Greeks, Lebanese and Armenians and who can forget the Yellow Peril (Japs, Gooks and Chinks they all look alike and their writing looks like chicken scratches, eh). The point is there has been a lot of hate and virtually every immigrant group has had their time in cross hairs of "Good" Americans. Guess what, they got through the American gaunlet and made America proud. Now me I am a Limey with a piece of Kraut thrown in.

Give your self a cookie, if you can identify all the nations represented in the above post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies