Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I still think some of the strongest and most vocal opponents of gay marriage are trying to hide the fact that they themselves are gay.

I think you might find that it's got more to do with religious beliefs. I'm an atheist and could care less what the gays do as long as they (or anyone else) don't bother me, but more than 90% (probably a lot more) of the population believe in some deity. Now whether their teachings actually rule against homosexuality or not is a moot point because all that really matters is what they believe to be true because their decision making process will be based on their belief system. Though this is a secular nation, it's a secular nation jam-packed with religious people who as a whole believe homosexuality is a sin according to whichever holy man they subscribe to. Generally speaking, religious people hold the laws of their god(s) above the laws of the land. That doesn't by any stretch of the imagination make them closet homosexuals. Generally speaking from my observation, people who are hiding something tend to avoid a subject whenever possible and not purposely bring it to anyone's attention lest they inadvertently expose themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 06:59 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I think you might find that it's got more to do with religious beliefs. I'm an atheist and could care less what the gays do as long as they (or anyone else) don't bother me, but more than 90% (probably a lot more) of the population believe in some deity. Now whether their teachings actually rule against homosexuality or not is a moot point because all that really matters is what they believe to be true because their decision making process will be based on their belief system. Though this is a secular nation, it's a secular nation jam-packed with religious people who as a whole believe homosexuality is a sin according to whichever holy man they subscribe to. Generally speaking, religious people hold the laws of their god(s) above the laws of the land. That doesn't by any stretch of the imagination make them closet homosexuals. Generally speaking from my observation, people who are hiding something tend to avoid a subject whenever possible and not purposely bring it to anyone's attention lest they inadvertently expose themselves.
My statement was a shot at those in the closet. But as a Christian, I know what you're saying. I don't care what people do in the bedroom. I'm sure God will understand. Don't you ever get frustrated when people pick and chose which of God's laws they want to follow?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
This post is hillarious !

---"exactly what gay marriage is "--
---"exactly what you described "--

----" the only thing different "

Which is it, exactly or different ?
What was hard for you exactly?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:56 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
My statement was a shot at those in the closet. But as a Christian, I know what you're saying. I don't care what people do in the bedroom. I'm sure God will understand. Don't you ever get frustrated when people pick and chose which of God's laws they want to follow?
Being an atheist, I don't actually care what Christian laws Christians choose to ignore. I feel about the same about religious folks as I do about gays, as long as they don't hinder my rights, they can do as they please. As far as I'm concerned, once a person is old enough to make their own decisions and actually understand the ramifications of their choices (about age 37 ) they should be allowed to sleep with whomever they choose assuming their co-conspirator is also of the same age and has consented to the arrangement.

It is a bit annoying to hear someone talk about freedom and liberty on one hand while oppressing another's with the fisted glove on the other hand.

I agree that there probably are some who "protesteth too much" but I think it's got more to do with religion than hiding their own "secret shame", if you will, in most cases.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:08 PM

277 posts, read 368,619 times
I think when people learn how to seperate church and state, we'll have Legal Gay Marriage. Gays want to marry for LEGAL purposes. Not for RELIGIOUS purposes. A gay couple should have the rights that a straight couple does when it comes to medical decisions, finances and tax benefits among the tons of other rights afforded to straight couples. Why do straight people think their relationship is better or more valuable than a gay one? Why would you not want another couple in love protected as you are? Sounds pretty selfish and ignorant to me.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:13 PM

277 posts, read 368,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I think anyone can call anything anything they want. I've often thought, for example, that asparagus should be renamed Greenspear. My wanting this, however, doesn't make it so.

Marriage is the union of a man and a woman, A joining of opposites. It unites families, stabilizes societies, and produces genetically diverse offspring. None of this is news or discriminatory against anyone, unless one is somehow able to convince onesself that heterosexuality, the source of all human life, is itself discriminatory.

Homosexuals are certainly free to "marry" each other, or even whole groups of others, if that is their wont. Some people will call that a marriage, others will recognize it for what it is -- a metaphorical representation of the true union of a man and his wife: the source, in other words, of the two homosexuals who are acting out this mimicry of what is at the heart of human society and what is the source of our families and ourselves.

The frustration of those who do not fall into the category of heterosexual is understandable and worthy of compassion. But that compassion cannot extend to changing the definition of marriage to include metaphorical representations of such unions.

One might as well refer to the murdering of babies as freedom of choice.
I want you to give an example where gay marriage has destablized a society. Be it Iowa or Spain. Show me where families are destroyed because a gay couple decides to marry for legal protection, and to protect their relationship they've worked so hard at. Tell me how someone you will never meet, will affect your life because he or she decides to marry their partner????? Please.....enlighten me.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
One might as well refer to the murdering of babies as freedom of choice.
Legalizing same-sex marriage is comparable to murdering babies?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Yeah the world's population is really hurting because of gay relationships If anything it's population control and is sorely needed. It amazes me that people honestly think the world will go extinct because of gay relationships.
It's like saying we shouldn't spay and neuter cats and dogs because if everyone did it, we wouldn't have any more.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
IWhy do straight people think their relationship is better or more valuable than a gay one? .
I've been wondering the same thing myself. Never quite got a good sound answer.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:01 PM

145 posts, read 184,160 times
In my opinion, these recent voting results just prove that the US is overwhelmingly backwards.

I look forward to moving to western Europe.

Apparently, for the majority of the US population, ignorance really is bliss....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies