Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 05:54 AM

178 posts, read 480,828 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if I come across too political, in a forum that is designed around moving and location opinion, more than political affiliation, but it just seems like I have to speak my mind.

Governor Brewer has announced her candidacy for gubernatorial election in 2010. Now If I am not mistaken she called the State Capitol a "Hell Hole", took forever to pass a budget, pushed for prison privatization, never achieved any of her goals in the budget, alienated her party by wanting to raise taxes, will not attempt any non-partisan communications with the Dems and over all was never selected by any voter to make these poor decisions in the first place. So what would give her the guts to put her neck out on the line to run for office again. I truly think she is even dumber then she let us be aware of during the 2009 annual budget legislation.

It really is too bad that state employees can be terminated for causing embarrassment to the state, unless they are pay grade 24 and above. Because near as I can tell Jan Brewer has caused us a lot of embarrassment and I for one would like to see her fired.

Look I will not tell any of you how to vote. I hope whichever candidate you choose does well. I just am frustrated that the political system here in Az. does not have any partisan protection for the voters. What I mean is if we selected by vote a Democrat and that Democrat moves on or becomes unable to perform their duty, then we as voters should be protected by having that office be replaced by a authority of the same party. Instead, in the Governors Impeachment, Resignation, Hospitalization or Death we are stuck with the Secretary of the State despite whatever their political alignment is. That Stinks!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 06:02 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garisonthebull View Post
Forgive me if I come across too political, in a forum that is designed around moving and location opinion, more than political affiliation, but it just seems like I have to speak my mind.

Governor Brewer has announced her candidacy for gubernatorial election in 2010. Now If I am not mistaken she called the State Capitol a "Hell Hole", took forever to pass a budget, pushed for prison privatization, never achieved any of her goals in the budget, alienated her party by wanting to raise taxes, will not attempt any non-partisan communications with the Dems and over all was never selected by any voter to make these poor decisions in the first place. So what would give her the guts to put her neck out on the line to run for office again. I truly think she is even dumber then she let us be aware of during the 2009 annual budget legislation.

It really is too bad that state employees can be terminated for causing embarrassment to the state, unless they are pay grade 24 and above. Because near as I can tell Jan Brewer has caused us a lot of embarrassment and I for one would like to see her fired.

Look I will not tell any of you how to vote. I hope whichever candidate you choose does well. I just am frustrated that the political system here in Az. does not have any partisan protection for the voters. What I mean is if we selected by vote a Democrat and that Democrat moves on or becomes unable to perform their duty, then we as voters should be protected by having that office be replaced by a authority of the same party. Instead, in the Governors Impeachment, Resignation, Hospitalization or Death we are stuck with the Secretary of the State despite whatever their political alignment is. That Stinks!!!!!!!!
For those states that have the "lieutenant governor" concept (and there was an effort here to change to that title, but that failed), some have that person run on the same ticket with the gubernatorial candidate(s), others have a separate election. So, Arizona is not the only state where this problem can happen.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:49 AM

894 posts, read 2,202,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garisonthebull View Post

Forgive me if I sound ignorant, as I have been out of the local politics loop for about 5 1/2 years due to location, but I just wanted to add, for the sake of eliminating any confusion, that Gov Brewer was never elected into office, she fell into it when Gov Janet resigned to be Sec of Homeland Security. She has only been in office less than a year, and I don't think it is fair to judge her on 10 months of work. No politician in history has been perfect, not even Reagan (God rest his Soul,) but I do think there are a few key things she has done so far that are for the good of the State. Just my $0.02.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:07 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
She's done a whole lot better than I thought she would. She has to work with the wingnuts that make up the legislature here. That is easier for a Dem to do because a Dem governor can just veto all the nonsense they pass and put the political pressure on them to get somewhat closer to doing the right thing. Brewer (like Fife before her) has shown a glimmer of guts in standing up to the righties. She's got the right idea about education in Arizona and, as a Maricopa County super, knows her way around the development issues. She was actually among the better supers who have served.

She will not be nominated I don't think - assuming the Republican party, as we know it, is even around next fall. A Rep gov has to toe the party line and in Arizona that means far right, social and fiscal conservatism in order to be nominated in the primaries. She doesn't fit that mold and appears to be too honest to fake it a la John McCain2008. Still unless the Dems nominate someone from far left field, I will go with the Dem. I am a firm believer in divided government. On the other hand, a vote for Brewer would be a slap in the face of the legislative leaders and that can't happen often enough or hard enough.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 11-06-2009 at 07:17 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 07:10 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDesertRat86 View Post
Forgive me if I sound ignorant, as I have been out of the local politics loop for about 5 1/2 years due to location, but I just wanted to add, for the sake of eliminating any confusion, that Gov Brewer was never elected into office, she fell into it when Gov Janet resigned to be Sec of Homeland Security. She has only been in office less than a year, and I don't think it is fair to judge her on 10 months of work. No politician in history has been perfect, not even Reagan (God rest his Soul,) but I do think there are a few key things she has done so far that are for the good of the State. Just my $0.02.
She was elected into MANY offices, just not THIS one. And, you run for Sec of State knowing you may end up where she is. (we certainly have a history over the last MANY years of that happening). Any governor who is of the SAME party as the Legislature which has been fighting like mad with the former gov of a different party should have been able to govern MUCH better than this, even over the short term. And ANY governor should have better sense than to refer to the Capitol (or Phoenix, whichever she was referring to) as a "hellhole" at a public event. Perhaps we are simply seeing the Peter Principle in action. I'll be happy to see her out of her misery soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies