Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:19 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
"This is not my fault that this weapon is not used where it should," Kalashnikov, his voice trembling, said at the Kremlin ceremony. "This is the fault of politicians, not designers. I made it to defend the borders of the fatherland."

That says it all. He's a genuine soldier
Lol, Russians do not refer to their country as the "Fatherland". It is the "Motherland". Mother Russia. Fatherland is a German term. The Russians always refer to their Naval vessels as 'He's" as an aside. Whereas most Navies refer to ships as a "she'. Just a bit of trivia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 01:22 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I like the AK but every gun nut knows he copied the Germans...
"Kalashnikov said in his memoirs that while inventing the rifle he was driven by complaints from other wounded soldiers that the Nazi Germans' firearms were often better."

Old 11-10-2009, 01:22 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Which kind? I think I have all the major Saiga/Arsenals except for 308. I have the SGL-21 in 7.62, SGL-31 in 5.45, and 12 shotgun I converted all by meself
Saiga 7.62x.39, it's quite a fun rifle, even though it has to comply with some of Ca's silly laws. I am building an AR right now, but I think my next purchase will be a Saiga .308

EDIT to add: I wish they'd make one in 7.62x54r, I have a TON of that stuff for my Mosins!

Last edited by ecvMatt; 11-10-2009 at 01:32 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 01:24 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lol, Russians do not refer to their country as the "Fatherland". It is the "Motherland". Mother Russia. Fatherland is a German term. The Russians always refer to their Naval vessels as 'He's" as an aside. Whereas most Navies refer to ships as a "she'. Just a bit of trivia.
I'm very much a history geek I've got no shortage of trivia.

It's a widely held misconception that "fatherland" stands for Germany and Germany alone.

It's a very common term used primarily in Eastern Europe or Eurasia (if the term's still valid)

Even the Arabs have used it at some point in time.

Mother Russia's an invention of the Bolsheviks. The Czars who preceded them generally referred to the Empire as fatherland

Old 11-10-2009, 01:39 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Saiga 7.62x.39, it's quite a fun rifle, even though it has to comply with some of Ca's silly laws. I am building an AR right now, but I think my next purchase will be a Saiga .308

EDIT to add: I wish they'd make one in 7.62x54r, I have a TON of that stuff for my Mosins!
On that note, I was about to purchase a PSL from AIMSurplus as they've dropped the price to $580. The Mosin Nagant isn't the only game in town anymore!

Old 11-10-2009, 02:09 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
On that note, I was about to purchase a PSL from AIMSurplus as they've dropped the price to $580. The Mosin Nagant isn't the only game in town anymore!
I like the PSL, if they stay at that price, I might have to get one.

I don't know if this is still available because AIM is blocked at work, but it looks like it could be a fun way to dispose of all the 54r
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/SG43_Goriunov__7.62x54R.html (broken link)

Old 11-10-2009, 02:21 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Not to be such an advertising fool, but k-var is selling Russian AKs (Arsenals) for $500.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:21 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'm very much a history geek I've got no shortage of trivia.

It's a widely held misconception that "fatherland" stands for Germany and Germany alone.

It's a very common term used primarily in Eastern Europe or Eurasia (if the term's still valid)

Even the Arabs have used it at some point in time.

Mother Russia's an invention of the Bolsheviks. The Czars who preceded them generally referred to the Empire as fatherland
Pre Soviet Russia is not a specialty of mine , so, I defer to your point. As to the AK series of rifles, it is rather indisputable that Russian equipment was slightly (ever so) inferior to what the Germans fielded, and that Kalashnikov copied the original German designs for his rifle. What was that German rifle designated? I can picture it, and remember it saw only limited use amongst the special SS units and such. They even had one with a curved barrel, to shoot around corners, with a periscope on it. I have GOT to go dig that book out of my stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies