Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:52 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The problem of homosexual pedophiles isn't just in the Catholic church, it is universally throughout all faiths and to a lesser degree than found in the general public.
The thing is though, that the.
Homosexual pedophiles?

Care to explain this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 02:56 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
So all the CHurch should be forever responsible for the failings of SOME of the human beings that ran CERTAIN areas. .
Yes. Because the people running the church facilitated these acts. Had they turned the priests in, different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
The lives of billions of people have been lifted because of the Church, and you have the balls to throw them all away and suggest that they are something other than an a reflection of society.

Priceless.
Nice metaphor.

As to your comment, it's almost as ballsy as hiding a pedophile. But not quite.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:51 AM

400 posts, read 469,070 times
gayness is normal, gay men and women don't like and would never put young boys or girls in harms way. They like each other of the same sex.

'Pedofiiles' like young boys and girls. Most of them are really sexual addicts in one way or another, meaning young boys, young girls, whatever they can get.

Gay men look for their gay partners, they wouldn't even consider a young child, whether male or female. This is where society has judged gay people very wrong. Society has put gayness in an equasion of everything that is wrong.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:48 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
They see a way to make a quick buck
That's irrelavent, the church's failure to take action against known wrong doing is inexcusable, it deserves whatever pinishment is handed down.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:53 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
What else could one call defending the indefensible?
I don't think anyone is defending the crimes committed by some priests. It is criminal activity and can have no apology.

The issue becomes- what do we do now? The Church has taken measures to prevent this activity and cooperate authorities regarding criminal prosecution. What else can they do? Keep in mind this is a very small percentage of priests and one must keep in mind the positive work that the Church performs here and abroad.

Criminal prosecution of those who have committed crimes must proceed, of course, for the benefit of those injured as well as the church. However, bankrupting the church is not the answer, and only benefits the trial lawyers association.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:07 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Addressing these issues? Notice that these events generally occurred 20 years ago. The Church has taken measures to correct these crimes.

Rome? Are you suggesting that the Vatican has infinite wealth? Do you get your political information from Sarah Silverstein? It makes great comedy, but I think we need some introspection. All of us need to examine whether we can personally give more to charity, including Sarah Silverstein. Perhaps you yourself should examine how much money you gave to charity in the last year. Perhaps the mirror will look a little less pleasant in the morning.

I guess I am a little confused about your "solution". Is this just a hateful diatribe about the Catholic church that has no viable solution, or do you have some thought on the matter? How about everyone convert to Islam, the religion of peace, and we can "honor kill" our daughters, whip "insolent" women, restrict education, restrict civil rights, and cut off hands of thieves. Things will be better then.

My daughter goes to a Jesuit college. The Jesuits, in my experience are great in the role of education. I really think you need to re-examine your views and not speak in sweeping, innacurate generalities and stop focusing on "your ass". I am confident that it is large, but should not be a focus of introspection.

Much of modern anti-Catholicism has roots in marxism. The church is an impediment to the spread of modern marxism and is a target of this political movement. Are you a marxist? If so, good boy. You are an obedient servant of 'the cause".[/quote]

Well said. Some try to hide their anti Catholic feelings by focusing on an unfortunate issue that the church is addressing. But it is Catholic bashing none the less. Not only is the anti Catholic sentiment based on what you described above but also on it's views on social issues. The left takes exception to it's stand on abortion and gays and will do anything to discredit the church. Fortunately it is pretty transparent and these folks are marginalized.[/quote]

I tend to agree although there is much to criticize about how the church has dealth with this issue both internally and externally. But I remember reading somewhere recently that pedophilia among school teachers is a much worse problem than among clergy (yes, it infects non catholic clergy as well). Yet one doesn't see the kind of breast-beating that has accompanied the revelations involving catholic clergy. Which suggests to me some kind of agenda.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think you touched as many nerves as priests touched altar boys, and according to the John Jay Report, that would be about 11,000.

I don't see anyone bashing Catholics here, but considering the perpetrators consisted about 4% of American priests, the question remains, why were these priests not removed, disciplined in any way, or reported to the police, and why were they merely relocated to recommence their abuses. The Catholic leadership are who is responsible, and used incredibly poor judgement. Would you be so forgiving if this type of thing was happening in the Public School system?
Well, actually, abuser priests were not simply reassigned to other parishes. Beginning in the late 70's the Church treated pedophile priests as a psychological issue and generally sent them to special treatment centers where psychiatrists attempted to treat and rehabilitate offenders. Only after they were declared "cured" were they quietly reassigned. One of the errors of the church was its failure to recognize sex abuse as a moral issue and recognize that these priests were fundamentally flawed and should never have been allowed to minister again.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
In my opinion enacting a rule that suppresses such a strong natural instinct was foolhearty at the least and more likely going against the wishes of god in that he gave them, an affort so to speak. Bad policy.

That is no excuse for the continuing and tremendously deliterious effects the actions of a measurable percentage of priests have had in the lives of unsuspecting young people under the guise of protective guidance to them. It's unconscionable really, and the church's brushing it under the rug has greatly hurt their feasibility and mission.
I assume you're saying that, but for the rule of celibacy, this scandal would not have occurred. You can make that claim only if you believe in same-sex marriage. 95% of the abuse was against young boys. This was as much a homosexual problem as it was a pedophile problem. In neither case would traditional marriage have averted the problem.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The problem of homosexual pedophiles isn't just in the Catholic church, it is universally throughout all faiths and to a lesser degree than found in the general public.
The thing is though, that the Catholic church is one of the few that doesn't allow it's religious servents to own anything. It belongs to the people and gets passed down.
Lawyers see the real estate and money and make the Church a target for it's wealth.

There is no way the Catholic Church had a request that homosexual pedophiles join by lying to everyone and taking vows while lying. Just not the goal of the Catholic Church or other faiths IMO.
Except that since at least the 1970's the church (in the U.S. anyway) knew they had a serious homosexual problem in its seminaries and turned a blind eye to it.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:26 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Why should an entity that for decades knowing allowed it's employees who were known pedophiles to have access to children rather than removing them from their employ then engaged in intimidation in order to cover-up the pedophiles' acts be allowed to go unpunished?
The shouldn't - it really is that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies