Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 10:13 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,218,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
If you read the original article, the interesting thing is that the sender of the email claimed not to have known he was sending it to a bunch of people. He claimed to have sent it to himself so he could print it. His claim may or may not have been sincere, but it leads to another point that I think gets ignored far too often.

I, for one white person, am sick and tired of white people playing the white victim card when they get held responsible for their racist crap. Free speech entails responsibility, and free speech does not entail freedom from criticism. I think the problem now is that some white people are mad that they are getting called on their racist remarks and behavior. They wish they could still engage in such activity with impunity. That ship has sailed, and it has nothing to do with PC. It has to do with the fact that black people or all women or whomever can now sass you back publicly when you say stupid stuff without worrying quite so much about getting blacklisted, glass ceilinged, or lynched. I mean that in all seriousness, and I've got historical examples to back me up.
Bravo, bravo! Very well said! And so very true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 12:50 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,105,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
the term "white pride" is the very definition of racism.

What world are you living in? Let me guess. A White Nationalist community?

Ah, racism at its finest while trying to deny that one is rascist....

Bet you have no problem with someone proclaiming black pride or BET (black entertainment television)

Many politically correct fools would be screaming racism if someone started a WET (white entertainment television) so stop crying about it.

...Now that I got that out there, I do believe that this officer was wrong for sending that e mail

Old 11-17-2009, 05:26 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,675,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
You got that right...........

Quote:
Bet you have no problem with someone proclaiming black pride or BET (black entertainment television)

Many politically correct fools would be screaming racism if someone started a WET (white entertainment television) so stop crying about it.
1. Much of the programming on BET is bull----.

2. White folks have 85% (or more) of all networks and channels and all of Hollywood catering to them. Just because it's not called WET doesn't mean that white television does ot exist.

Quote:
...Now that I got that out there, I do believe that this officer was wrong for sending that e mail
How magnanimous of you.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:29 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,543,733 times
Quote:

Incorrect. WE use the term Black and Proud....We express pride in our heritage without attempting to degrade other heritages or disparaging them. Not every Black person is proud to acknowledge BET due to the so called programming. Needless to say, that BET you will loose.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:27 PM

403 posts, read 535,352 times
a racist with a gun? fire him or do people actually enjoy the idea of working with someone who could be the next hasan?

people like him are just ticking time bombs waiting to explode.
relieve him of his duties so he can have plenty of time to himself to promote his racist views like every other home grown american racist does....through the internet, underkover klans & korrupt politicians.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:34 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,872,891 times
Quote:
Then so is "black power" or "black pride". Lots of racist black people out there.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:10 PM

937 posts, read 2,835,488 times
Quote:

What world are you living in? Let me guess. A White Nationalist community?
But black pride is ok? Ill bet that if an email saying black pride went out, not a word would be said. Double-edged sword. Even better, its a sad double standard.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:45 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,663,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
But black pride is ok? Ill bet that if an email saying black pride went out, not a word would be said. Double-edged sword. Even better, its a sad double standard.
It's not the same thing because as someone pointed out above, whiteness is a normative category in this society. The idea of "white pride," to me as a white person, seems fairly ridiculous. There is no need to name something that exists in spades, so to speak. There is no need to create something that there is already an abundance of, perhaps even an overabundance. It's like saying there should be more Starbucks when there are already Starbucks everywhere. Basically pointless.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:57 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,639,889 times
Quote:

This same tired example keeps coming up. Doing a bit of research of the origins of BET will tell the story. If people were so offended by the idea, it would seem to me that during the time it was created, moves would have been made to deem it unnecessary.

BET has gone downhill since the beginning, and is not what it used to be.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:25 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,769,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I have the right to post as much as you do. If you don't like it don't read it.
Point taken. My apologies. However, I think the thing about posting here is a privilege, not necessarily a right, as the owner of the board is the only one with a true right. Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies