Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:11 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Yes, its amazing what trillions and trillions of dollars emptied out of the US treasury can do to enrich the rich.

If the market got here on its own I would be hopeful, but this rise is artificial and it will come crashing back down. And the more 0bama and Pelosi spend us into the poor house, the faster the fall and the deeper it will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 07:13 PM

975 posts, read 1,755,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Like the Roaring 20's ?
More like New Years eve at Mexican drug lords house. Everything elict you can imagine is free for the taking and in abundance too, you just have to hope your not in the room when some ******** whips out an AK-47 and pulls a Scarface inpersonation.

Or as a friend said today, "making money right now is as hard as finding naked chicks at a strip club"..

Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Like the Roaring 20's ?
Hopefully it won't be like 1930 - When the Post 1929 crash dow rebound 50%, then began a new downward deathmarch to an 80% decline by 1933

Old 11-16-2009, 07:53 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
In other words - cheating on your taxes.
I don't care how much lipstick you put on that pig - it's still cheating on your taxes.

Pretty dumb to advocate that on a public message board. You never know what all these other posters do for a living.

Ken
I didn't explicitly say that I do it.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
What a load of ignorant bullsh*t.
Roughly HALF of American workers have 401Ks - and large portions of that money is invested in STOCKs.

Roughly 30% of American workers have pensions - and large sections of that is invested in STOCKS.

Just because your burger-flipping job doesn't offer those kinds of benefits, doesn't mean MOST don't have them.

Maybe you need to get a better job.

Ken
I'm not a lowly burger flipper. I'm a lowly research assistant and grad student.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Wouldn't that mean that gold has gone up over 60% is eight months?? Well, it hasn't. Sorry. It has gone up some 7%, so I think I'll take the stock gains over your 7%. Besides, you might want to get rid of your gold soon because the Fed will start raising rates soon, and then the dollar will rise and gold could take a hit.
Raising rates will likely cause the dollar to collapse faster but at least there'll be a floor. Iceland had double digit fed rates and their currency collapsed too.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:07 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I'm not a lowly burger flipper. I'm a lowly research assistant and grad student.
Me and wifey were also grad students once - no one calls us lowly anymore. Best wishes!

Quote:
Raising rates will likely cause the dollar to collapse faster but at least there'll be a floor. Iceland had double digit fed rates and their currency collapsed too.
Exactly. Raising of rates is bound to happen. Dollar will go down further, inflation will increase and, on the +ve side (!), we will get out of debt faster by devaluing what we owe. Some nations see gold as a more stable currency alternative to falling dollar.

In defense of the lousy Congress, we stared into the abyss and escaped a far more serious crisis. Digging out is going to be rough and take quite some time. Coming out of depression, stocks will go up before unemployment starts to fall. Some companies have started to hire. Do not light a cigar just yet - it will be a few years. But, we do seem to be headed upwards.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:34 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Well, if you are a research assistant and grad student, my hat's off to you - there is nothing wrong with either of those. However, the facts are still the same - you have to understand that it's NOT just the rich who've benefitted from the rise in stock prices (just as it was not just the rich who suffered when they collapsed). As I said, a LOT of your fellow Americans own stock - not that many directly, but a HUGE number own them indirectly in the form of pensions and 401K's - and to those people, the recovery of the stock market has been a VERY GOOD thing. This is ESPECIALLY true for older folks like myself who are relatively close to retirement and don't necessarily have a lot of time to rebuild their nest egg.

Ken

Old 11-16-2009, 08:38 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
In defense of the lousy Congress, we stared into the abyss and escaped a far more serious crisis. Digging out is going to be rough and take quite some time. Coming out of depression, stocks will go up before unemployment starts to fall. Some companies have started to hire. Do not light a cigar just yet - it will be a few years. But, we do seem to be headed upwards.
I agree with this 100%.

It could have been a WHOLE lot worse. Don't get me wrong, there are still problems and risks ahead, but compared to what we were facing at the end of last year, things are MUCH more stable and recovery seems to be on the way.

Again however - as I've said MANY times - it's a matter of how strong a recovery, and how fast it arrives: the answers to those questions remain to be determined.

Ken

Old 11-16-2009, 08:47 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,799,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I am not recommending anyone sell stocks.

I am just stating the simple fact that many people thoughout the US have seen their net worth rise during the past 8 months (excluding the value of their homes).

However, even home prices are rising in some markets.

Face it ... our economy is looking better and better each day !!!
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

I have yet to see ANY signs of economic recovery, at least as an average consumer. My friends have recently lost jobs and many can't find new ones.

Rising prices of crude oil are actually threatening to cause a double dip recession, and gas prices aren't helping.

I'm going to cut back on spending more until I see any signs of recovery that guarantees a better chance of employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies