Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:05 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
He raised very valid points with solid examples and all you can do is insult him.
Who made valid points? I was talking of the poster who insists the US is nothing but a pit of racism while potentially pretending to be European. I was not referring to NewGrad2009 in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 08:11 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Ask any Black Citizen in America about racism. If anyone wants a lesson in racism.......... come to America.
Why does the person have to be black in order to ask the question?

Old 11-17-2009, 08:13 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Who made valid points? I was talking of the poster who insists the US is nothing but a pit of racism while potentially pretending to be European. I was not referring to NewGrad2009 in any way.
Then I apologize for misunderstanding you.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 AM

429 posts, read 1,116,740 times
Quote:
Ask any Black Citizen in America about racism. If anyone wants a lesson in racism.......... come to America.
Again, someone generalizes a very complex issue.

My blood is closer to that of slaves than a lot of Black Americans nowadays. I am 100% Nigerian. My parents are nationalized Americans. I grew up in South Carolina since 1997.

I NEVER had any outright discrimination against myself or my family. Ever. Yeah, some old white ladies that are like 80 or something may feel uncomfortable around my brother in stores, but that's just the world they grew up in. I can't fault them for how they were conditioned. But its not like they're chanting to Town Hall to have them kicked out of the state.

And yes, blacks aren't the only people who were discriminated against, people. They can be rather vocal, haha, but they aren't the only ones.

Asians have a hard time entering the music/movie industry, because they're labeled as either sexual objects or complete nerds. Thank goodness for Jpop and Kpop and Bollywood becoming more global and showing Americans and others that they're not just one of those two labels.

Muslims CLEARLY have having a hard time. Along with Middle Easterns who are being attacked and called terrorists all the time.

Native Americans have almost no representation in the US. At all. Until Thanksgiving, which is sad in itself.

I could go on and on.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:27 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Because, historicaly, black people have been treated the worst based on their race in this country. You could argue that the native Americans were treated worse but the tribes that have survived have received reperations from the government.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 AM

429 posts, read 1,116,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
Because, historicaly, black people have been treated the worst based on their race in this country. You could argue that the native Americans were treated worse but the tribes that have survived have received reperations from the government.
This is all true.

HOWEVER, while Blacks now have widespread legal, social and political representation and influence in almost all spheres of American society, Native Americans, for example, still have the highest rates of suicide, alcoholism, depression, drug abuse, etc by percentage in the country. They still barely go on to universities and tech schools. Not all reservations are in good condition. In fact, I'd argue a lot of them are in pretty bad shape.

Black people have been through s**t. It's obvious. It's not a secret. But other groups have too, and I'm tired of the black community monopolizing the history of discrimination in this country.

If we're ever gonna have a true discussion on race in this country, we need to include everyone. Whites (Italians, European Jews, Polish, etc), Blacks (Creole, West Indians, African nationals), Middle Eastern (Iranian, Turkish, Egyptian), Asian (Japanese, Indian, Pacific Islander), "Hispanic" (Carribean, Mexican, Argentinian) and Native American (Cherokee, Sioux, Inuit, Mayan, Incan, etc).

And that was me generalizing. I left MANY groups out because there are so many.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Because many white's do not understand the racism that still exists in America.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:41 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Movie Talk: Universal's UK 'Couples Retreat' Poster Brings Cries of Racism by Removing Black Actors
According to the above article, a black couple was removed from the european version of an American movie and that American movies that stars black actors don't do very good in Europe.
Don't say that, or Cornerguy1 will close your thread immediately. Everybody knows that racism only happens in the US.

German journalist under fire for going undercover as a black man in Germany
German Journalist Criticized for Film on Racism - ABC News
Says Günter Wallraff, "I want to find out what it's like to be black in Germany."

Old 11-17-2009, 08:48 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
...on the other hand, many white's DO understand the racism thar still exists in America, and are perfectly OK with it. How do I KNOW this? Simple....from listening to other whites....

Old 11-17-2009, 09:02 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
I thought this thread was about European bigotry?

In any case, your statement is quickly becoming stale and tired. Nobody is claiming there is no racism in the US. It will be here, as well as pretty much everywhere, in some form or another, hundreds of years from now. Thus, most reasonable people would agree with you.

However, the US I see features blacks and others at the highest levels of government and commerce. The US, where "racism still exists" apparently was not so racist that they had no problem voting a black man as President- a black man with obvious intelligence and little experience.

So yes, we know racism "still exists." All things considered though, we just wonder how much of a consequence it really is and tire of it being used as a weapon and an excuse.

Now, back to Europe, where "racism [most certainly] still exists."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies