Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:03 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times

Advertisements

I on occasion carry one in my car consistent with the laws of Florida with carrying a concealed weapon not on one's person but in their vehicle.

I buy and sell furniture so given all the foreclosures and bad areas in Orlando, I feel it necessary just in case I should get into a bad situation to have it with me.

I will be getting a license to carry one concealed on my person when I have the money but at the moment money is very tight. I also would need to get a smaller gun since my .38 is kind of bulky to carry on ones person. I don't want to put it in my purse because its too easy to leave your purse somewhere or have it stolen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:11 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
I don't carry, legally, illegally, openly or concealed because I simply do not like guns. Late husband once bought a hunting rifle from a friend of mine - not because he was a hunter, but to help her out of a tight financial spot. He eventually sold it, but for the entire time that rifle was in our home (hidden in a closet) I worried someone would break in, find the thing and use it on us. I really have nothing against those who feel the need to have guns, I just don't feel that need for myself and do not want one.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:18 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I don't carry, legally, illegally, openly or concealed because I simply do not like guns. Late husband once bought a hunting rifle from a friend of mine - not because he was a hunter, but to help her out of a tight financial spot. He eventually sold it, but for the entire time that rifle was in our home (hidden in a closet) I worried someone would break in, find the thing and use it on us. I really have nothing against those who feel the need to have guns, I just don't feel that need for myself and do not want one.
If a 6'6" 250# hood grabs you, throws you to the ground, pulls out a knife, and demands you do everything he wants, will your attitude toward owning a gun remain the same?

Not that it will matter what your attitude is right then. It's too late.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I live in NY where it's just about impossible to get a CCW permit. However, I have a Utah CCW that allows me to carry in 28 States and I carry whenever I am in one of those States. I also do carry to and from the range and hunting in NY which is legal. Why? Because it's my right to and because I believe a gun is sometimes the only viable protection in some circumstances. This, plus the fact that it is a right granted to all law abiding citizens of The US. I won't wait for the illegal and un-Constitutional laws of too many states to be declared as such and will carry as often and where ever I deem it necessary for my and my loved ones protection.
By NY,I assume u mean NYC...
Plz elaborate on the reality about hangun carry in NYC.
Say,that u file an application for CCW.U state "safety concerns".
It gets rejected...
Can u appeal ?
Can u proceed legally,can u sue the municipality or ...whoever...?

Old 11-17-2009, 10:28 AM

8 posts, read 6,573 times
No.Because I'm from Chicago.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:28 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
I don't carry one simply because I don't like to carry things. I carry two keys and a clip (no pun intended) for a wallet.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:29 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
If a 6'6" 250# hood grabs you, throws you to the ground, pulls out a knife, and demands you do everything he wants, will your attitude toward owning a gun remain the same?

Not that it will matter what your attitude is right then. It's too late.
Considering that I'm a 5'6" overweight 59 y/o female, probably not. Because, had I had a gun at that point, the thug would likely have it in his hand, pointed at me!

Old 11-17-2009, 10:35 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-n View Post
No.Because I'm from Chicago.
Since the 1983 ban in CH,has there ever been any serious effort,either public or political,to repeal or ease the ban ?

Old 11-17-2009, 10:36 AM

37 posts, read 35,872 times
I carry when I am traveling or going to parts of a city that could be less safe than other parts. This is the one place I separate from liberal ideas. I am for hand guns and gun ownership, but I do support some restrictions. I left the NRA because they are to far nut job for me. They want no restrictions on guns, they say they do but they then fight any measure to restrict them. The NRA is only for its big corporation brothers, that is the end they care about, if S&W can make a profit or not, not about if me or you has the right to carry, they only fight for what will sell the most guns. In my home state the CCW was passed by a coalition not the NRA. I quit giving them my 35 a year several years ago.
I feel that if someone is afraid of guns, they have every right to not have one, I feel the same as I do toward religion, when religion tries to make laws that infringe on others rights, I.E. abortion, alcohol, gambling, prostitution, myth taught in school ect. then they have went way to far and need to be stopped. Same with this situation, if a person does not like guns, that’s fine with me, but they should not try to stop me from having them, and I should not condemn them for not having one.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:38 AM

100 posts, read 212,974 times
I just renewed my Indian permit today, Indiana now has a lifetime permit. I selectively carry and try to avoid bad areas and keep an eye out for trouble and avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies