Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:32 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
There are alternatives to oil now but most consumers aren't interested. We have ethanol, hydrogen, electric motors, biodiesel, and vegetable oil. This isn't new technology.
None of those are energy SOURCES, so they are not alternatives to oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 10:26 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
There are alternatives to oil now but most consumers aren't interested. We have ethanol, hydrogen, electric motors, biodiesel, and vegetable oil. This isn't new technology.
They aren't viable alternatives, yet.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:39 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Tankers sitting full of oil off the coast and we here at home are shutting down refineries.

This amid all the other crap going on.
Am I the only one who sees the writing on the wall ?
This would be why I posted the thread. Depending on the media source people are getting their sole education from decides what they'll attribute as cause. Meanwhile, the underlying problem goes unchecked because they're too busy infighting, even when it's to everyones detriment.

Shutting down refineries--- analysis was done late 60's/ early 70's knowing pipeline systems were aging. Peak oil was on the table of every board of directors not long after it was theorized in 1956. Oil industry has spent substantial billions on exploration, and not near as much on infrastructure. Play your cards well enough, taxpayers can replace your infrastructure. Who wins at musical chairs? Whomever sells the well before it runs dry, whomever sells their pipeline before volume can't get past corrosion, and whomever sells their refinery just before consumers are permitted to say no thanks.
------------------------

The Arguments:
We'll just get rid of oil- That's not optional when the derivatives of oil are a prime ingredient of many other products/ancillary industries. Paint, carpeting, plastics, medications... this layman's list could be a book. The chemist applications list would be an encyclopedia. Reducing our consumption must happen for a dozen reasons, but zero oil isn't possible for a thousand reasons. Our objectives need to be self sufficiency first, followed by sustainable, and hope for improvements as time + ingenuity progresses.

Peak oil- That's all well and good, but how does it justify present tense conduct of these tankers?

Alternatives are the catch all answer- They aren't ready to meet the global energy demand. We needed that commitment 30 yrs ago or better. I think most can agree... enough with the lolly gagging, the infighting, and the pitting one industry against another. Alternatives have to stand up in their own boots, no BS, get 'er done.

Oil is the underdog- Suffering with 3% margins? Global 500 2009: Top Performers - Most Profitable Companies: Profits - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com Who among you will volunteer to ring a bell in front of the market for this charitable cause?

Oil is our hero- Capitalism works very well until the line is crossed. Monopoly undermines an otherwise healthy capitalism, and that's what I'm pointing at directly. Nothing more, nothing less. Delivery in standard contract is more reliable than the post office... until there are incentives to be contrary. Pay attention.

Every oil industry corp. posting record profits that proportionally track over time with a crisis doesn't raise an eyebrow? Generally speaking, aren't there winners and losers in any given industry? Except oil??

Domino's pizza 300% margins- The invisible hand of consumers takes care of pizza because they have options and wouldn't starve if pizza evaporated. Consumers do not have the option to say no to oil. Even Domino's is paying a dividend to the oil industry.

Congress did it- Their jurisdiction is limited to US territories. Corporations and commodities markets are not similarly bound. If 'congress did it', that traces back to another lifetime against the notably grave concerns of Thomas Jefferson and Adam Smith. The 1819 supreme court decision has more to do with where we are now. Pelosi is likely flattered by your credit.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:44 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
The current president needs to let these companies know that Bush is no longer in charge and they cannot rip off the consumers so much.
Gee, I didn't know Bush or Obama controls what people do in the United Kingdom.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:52 AM

We have oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico shutting down production due to the lower cost of oil. Some of the reasons why oil is more expensive to take out of the ground here than over in other countries include things like OSHA, EPA, fair wages, and good benefits. For every OSHA or EPA regulation passed, that adds to the overall cost of production of oil and gas. Off shore oil rig workers are paid good wages and even better benefits. Those men and women have to eat and so food and cooks are provided for them. All of this cost money. If the price of oil drops to a certain point then the oil companies will loose money on those rigs being open and in production. So the rig is shut down and the hands are sent home. If the price of oil rises above that point then the rig is opened again. Another factor in the price of oil and gas is taxes; city, state, and federal. In some areas, the oil companies are taxed on the purchase of equipment, taxed annually for owning the equipment, and that's not including the cost of paying for enviromental impact studies (notice the plural) and fees associated with moving some of these equipment across all the various cities and parishes/counties. Some politicians love to scream about the evil of big oil, right up until it comes time to collect the taxes, fees, and campaign contributions and then it's all love.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:59 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
What does this have to do with tankers parked off the coast of Britain withholding delivery on contracts?

Sure, I get that you don't appreciate taxes on taxes happening in Louisiana, but that sidebar issue is so far away it's a whole other thread. I never had a problem being in compliance with the law, and my corporation remained profitable when a bbl of crude was steady between $23- $29 bbl. $77 bbl and upstream can't make ends meet? Tell me what their price point is and I'll tell you what's wrong with their operations (unless you're referring to a smaller fish).

Old 11-26-2009, 04:33 AM

ODS-Petrodata | Weekly Rig Count
According to the weekly rig count, were currently running about 53% of the rigs compared to 76% of a year ago. Since my dad and uncles retired from the oil industry, they haven't kept track of what it cost per barrel to break even so i couldn't tell you that amount.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:35 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Peak oil- That's all well and good, but how does it justify present tense conduct of these tankers?
Its not a justification, just an observation of why it is happening. As soon as economic growth begins to increase demand for oil, the production ceiling will be hit and the price will rise as in 2008. Whether its right or wrong is for others to decide.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:05 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Tankers sitting full of oil off the coast and we here at home are shutting down refineries.

This amid all the other crap going on.
Am I the only one who sees the writing on the wall ?

It's been on that wall since the gas crises of the '70s. Perhaps it's gotten a bit too faded for people to read?

Old 11-26-2009, 06:27 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I say leave the oil in the ground where it belongs. Utilizing oil is as much of a dinosaur as the dinosaurs it comes from. Unfortunately, besides the big oil cartel, you have everyday citizens fighting tooth and nail against their own best interests and the world at large, to keep enabling big oil to hold us in its grip. The United States should have been leading the fight for oil independence starting from way back. Very symbolic of the corruption in this country when Ronald Raygun ripped the solar panels off of the roof of the White House. Instead of being remembered for saying "tear down that wall" he should be remembered for saying "tear down those solar panels". Great message Ron!
Well'I rememeber when carter promised on national TV that we would nwever agian be dpepedent for more than 70% of our oi from foreign sources. he then as soon as the embargo was over trun his back and the inedpendent drillewrs went under form governamnt policvies.Rememebr who i9s keeping us buy mopre amnd more foreign oil and stopping drilling;the democrats.Also remmeebr who stopped the nuclear powwer plants in thius country while fance and the rest of the worl mvoe head ;the democrats. The part that made us totally depepndent on other for our energy and shipping billions overseas. ememeber that even now the alterantive that comes coolest to 15 of our energy needs is wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies