Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,725,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Which the second president promptly ignored.
And so on it goes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 05:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
If you look at CNN's map of the mid term state elction there would be much of a blue country really. really.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:19 PM

73,096 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Right now, things feel kind of uncertain. Will the nation break up and become different nations? Leaves alot to think about. It nearly happened before. Who knows what will happen this time.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,091,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Right now, things feel kind of uncertain. Will the nation break up and become different nations?
Simple answer.

No.

Two national football leagues?

Two American Idols?

Two Lindsey Lohans, Octomoms, Charlies Sheens?

These are the things that Americans really care about, except for the half dozen looneys (myself included) who reside on this forum.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,236,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Or the "Haves" and the "Have nots"
Not correct.
A predator can be a 'have' or 'have not'. The distinction is that he will disregard YOUR right to life and property if it suits HIS needs.

A non-predator is not a threat, whether a 'have' or 'have not'.

Predators follow the law - the law of the jungle.

I prefer the law of love.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Simple answer.

No.

Two national football leagues?

Two American Idols?

Two Lindsey Lohans, Octomoms, Charlies Sheens?

These are the things that Americans really care about, except for the half dozen looneys (myself included) who reside on this forum.
Wow. None of these things I care about. Things that matter to me don't include the listed. I don't watch NFL or American Idol. We are among the different. I care about world events. I am working. I don't see the listed stuff as important, and yet, this is more popular.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:06 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,592,451 times
Well, the OP is just plain wrong. It's NOT a common culture that unites a nation at all. In fact if that is the case what you have is a nation based on Nationalism and that is just one step above tribalism.

What unites a country is a common belief in what the country stands for and the values that are common to almost all of the citizens of that country.

In Canada we have a pretty new constitution, 1982. The Canadian charter of rights and freedoms unites all Canadians in the commonality of just what it is that makes us a nation.
Freedom is the number one common right.
Equality before the law.
The one thing that I just love about our constitution is that it puts the rights of an individual above the rights of the state. In other words your rights as a person are more important than the rights of the collective we call the country.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, the OP is just plain wrong. It's NOT a common culture that unites a nation at all. In fact if that is the case what you have is a nation based on Nationalism and that is just one step above tribalism.

What unites a country is a common belief in what the country stands for and the values that are common to almost all of the citizens of that country.

In Canada we have a pretty new constitution, 1982. The Canadian charter of rights and freedoms unites all Canadians in the commonality of just what it is that makes us a nation.
Freedom is the number one common right.
Equality before the law.
The one thing that I just love about our constitution is that it puts the rights of an individual above the rights of the state. In other words your rights as a person are more important than the rights of the collective we call the country.
It is this way in the USA NOW. It wasn't always like that. Some individuals were not given rights. Now everyone has the same rights. I'm speaking about the USA. Canada has a new Constitution and this is a good thing.

I have a feeling, though, that there are many people who do not have much of an idea about the Constitution of the nation. Oddly enough, in the USA, some people who know the Constitution the best are sometimes the ones who would not mind having the USA split up.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 AM

7,188 posts, read 4,776,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Do you really believe that the United States is the only country that you can do this? The United States at one time might have been the country of opportunity and freedom but its hardly the same country it once was. There are many many European countries as well as some Asian countries that are much more "free" than we are.

On top of that, many of these country overall are much more stable, more rich, and more happy than this country. You need to get over this unfounded feeling that the United states is the "greatest country in the world". Most Europeans do not want to move to this country. Most countries feel we are owned by corporations and are extremely racist and bigots. And the sad thing is, WE ARE.

Country rankings for trade, business, fiscal, monetary, financial, labor and investment freedoms

World's Happiest Places - Forbes.com

The truth is, some of the happiest and most prosperous countries are small countries. Like Ireland, Norway, Finland, Denmark, New Zealand, and more.

It isn't like Europeans are even coming to this country much anymore, they have plenty of opportunities back home. Almost all of the people coming here are from third world and second world countries, primarily because Europe has much stricter immigration policies than we do.
The Europeans who came over did so because they didn't have it so good "back home".

Why would anybody who is doing well in his country want to leave that situation?

What about Switzerland? It is an extremely rich country although they're having a hard time now with a whooping unemployment rate of 4.9 percent. They have FOUR official languages. I've visited Switzerland: the people seemed very happy.

Here's an idea. You want to know why they're happy? Because they mind their own darn business..

You can round up all the white, baptist, monolingual, heterosexual, knee slapping, NASCAR loving, high school graduates in the south and put them all in one sovereign state and they still would not be happy. Want to know why? Because they would still stick their noses into their neighbors' business. As soon as they walk out of church on Sunday, they'll start passing judgement on their neighbors. Face it: they cannot mind their own darn business if their lives depended on it.

Do you want more "freedom"? Then get busy making more money. In this country, as well as in others, the amount of freedom you have is directly proportional to the amount of money you have. It's that simple.

Your "happiness" is contingent upon what you do with your life, not what other people do with theirs.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
The Europeans who came over did so because they didn't have it so good "back home".

Why would anybody who is doing well in his country want to leave that situation?

What about Switzerland? It is an extremely rich country although they're having a hard time now with a whooping unemployment rate of 4.9 percent. They have FOUR official languages. I've visited Switzerland: the people seemed very happy.

Here's an idea. You want to know why they're happy? Because they mind their own darn business..

You can round up all the white, baptist, monolingual, heterosexual, knee slapping, NASCAR loving, high school graduates in the south and put them all in one sovereign state and they still would not be happy. Want to know why? Because they would still stick their noses into their neighbors' business. As soon as they walk out of church on Sunday, they'll start passing judgement on their neighbors. Face it: they cannot mind their own darn business if their lives depended on it.

Do you want more "freedom"? Then get busy making more money. In this country, as well as in others, the amount of freedom you have is directly proportional to the amount of money you have. It's that simple.

Your "happiness" is contingent upon what you do with your life, not what other people do with theirs.
It also makes Switzerland an place that is clean and relatively safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies