Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:07 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The economic elite have launched an attack on the U.S. public and society is unraveling at an increased rate.You may have missed it in the mainstream news media, but statistical societal indicators are reading red across the board. Let’s look at the top 15 statistics that prove we are under attack.

15 Signs American Society Is Coming Apart at the Seams | | AlterNet

Typical anti-rich rhetory,aiming to stir hate & approval of new/higher antirich taxes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 07:26 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Alot of that stuff is true but we have been through worse times before and there was no armed rebellion. Just voter rebellion which produced some of the greatest leaders in our history that brought us out of the dooldrums. After the disasterous years of Jimmy Carter, Reagan was able to reverse it. After the horrible years of Hoover, FDR was able to reverse it. We will come out of this too. Maybe under this President, maybe under another. But we will prevail. We always do.

It took a World War to get us out of this bad of a situation.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:28 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The economic elite have launched an attack on the U.S. public and society is unraveling at an increased rate.You may have missed it in the mainstream news media, but statistical societal indicators are reading red across the board. Let’s look at the top 15 statistics that prove we are under attack.

15 Signs American Society Is Coming Apart at the Seams | | AlterNet
Yup, and the Worship of the Wealthy as Our God by some helps propel it.

#1 on the list is why this will be a Third World country soon.....with the HELP of some of the very people who will sink to the bottom.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
The problem is that individual success in our society is not judged by "what" people do, but by "how much" wealth, power, and prestige they accrue. Most people are not particularly interested in what the company you work for does, they are interested if you are president of the company; they don't ask "how" you got wealthy, but are mightily impressed if you are.

One of the interesting facts about wealth, power, and prestige is that all are unspecifiable with regard to actual amount. How much personal wealth is enough? $250,000? $1 million? $5 million? How much prestige? Vice-president of the company? President? Or president of an even more powerful company?

We have built into our social system the notion that "you have to try and get as much as you can" because the more you get the more successful you are. Eventually our system is going to collapse upon itself, if it has not begun to already.
I agree - the main focus in this society is 'how much money do you have' instead of 'how much character do you have'.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It took a World War to get us out of this bad of a situation.
It won't require a world war this time, though.

And if you think about it, WWII got us out of the depression via two avenues:

1. Unprecedented federal spending on war materials and production, creating jobs in most sectors across the economy

2. Huge federal employment program (16 million "hired" for military service)

Old 11-24-2009, 09:52 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
People need to quit worrying. That makes the problem worse. We will be just fine.
'Don't worry, be happy'? sorry, don't like sand in my eyes. I would be happy if a miracle happens and the economy all of the sudden turns around, and my house value goes back up. But there are millions of people underwater or about to be, with no jobs recovery in sight, so I am not optomistic.

I woulnd't call the person who wrote this article a 'wingnut'.

The Critical Unraveling of U.S. Society

Report Contents:
[SIZE=2]———————[/SIZE]I: U.S. Societal Breakdown
[SIZE=2]———————[/SIZE]II: Environmental Crisis
[SIZE=2]———————[/SIZE]III: The Obama Myth
[SIZE=2]———————[/SIZE]IV: Economic Coup – Theft of Trillions
[SIZE=2]——————— [/ V: National Emergency

David DeGraw is the founder and editor of AmpedStatus.com and director of MediaChannel.org. You can reach him at David@AmpedStatus.com.

The Critical Unraveling of U.S. Society | The Public Record

Last edited by KRAMERCAT; 11-24-2009 at 10:01 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 10:08 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It won't require a world war this time, though.

And if you think about it, WWII got us out of the depression via two avenues:

1. Unprecedented federal spending on war materials and production, creating jobs in most sectors across the economy

2. Huge federal employment program (16 million "hired" for military service)
Gotta go with good ol' Old Gringo on this one. I think it is still possible that we will come through this relatively unscathed. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist. But in my lifetime, the Cold War ended, without much bloodshed. I really don't think a lot of people a generation older than me thought that was possible. Then it just happened.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:15 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
NOW is time to riot?

Old 11-24-2009, 10:17 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Gotta go with good ol' Old Gringo on this one. I think it is still possible that we will come through this relatively unscathed. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist. But in my lifetime, the Cold War ended, without much bloodshed. I really don't think a lot of people a generation older than me thought that was possible. Then it just happened.

Where is our industry to pull us out?
Where are the middle class jobs, to pull us out?
Any Plans?

I have a plan, that would start a second industrial revolution, also recreating the middle class.
But who the hell is going to listen to me?

Old 11-24-2009, 10:40 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
I would like to add one more sign. When so-called Patriots no longer can live with the rules of democracy and support the idea of armed revolution because their Party lost an election. Want to unify this great nation again, rise up and try and take it away from them, they will be unified, against those that rose up, mission accomplished.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies