Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I've noticed this is a common defensive response to allegations regarding Southern racism. The notion is those who are making these allegations have never lived in the South and thus are basing their opinions on unsubstantiated fears. That may be true in some cases but it's not the truth in every case. I've lived in the South and experienced this form of racism directly and so have others, yet our experience is somehow marginalized by you and others seeking to defend the South at all costs.

I think people in the South have been in denial about this issue for a long time. And I personally think this is a poor strategy in trying to amend this problem there. If the South was more candid and admitted they had a problem and tried to address it, they would be more successful in improving racial tension and it's image nationally.
Wow, you totally misread what I was writing. Read it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 02:00 PM

78,453 posts, read 60,652,129 times
I saw a documentary the other day on racism and they were talking about when Martin Luther King etc. marched on Chicago because it was the most racially segregated city in the US (and pretty much still is). They were met by nazi protesters etc.

I think it's funny mainly because Chicago was and still is completely democratically controlled and a VERY racially separated town. Heck, walk into Mayor Daley's neighborhood as a black and you are taking your life in your hands.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:11 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,223,655 times
Yes the ugly truth is that the North can be every bit segregated as our southern regions. Cleveland-Detroit-Chicago-Cincinnati-Pittsburgh..

Old 11-23-2009, 03:07 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And who do you think would encounter more racism, a black man living in Atlanta or a white man living in the Detroit ?

I suggest a white man in Detroit. Areas like Atlanta have learned to live with a large mix of races, Detroit has not.

If you could find one.............

Quote:
As a person from the south, I am probably wrong with false perceptions. Isn't that what we are discussing here ? False perceptions and stereotyping ? Many people from the north stereotype southerners when they have no experience but just preconcieved notions.

Most people in the Bible belt believe in loving their neighbor and do not make racist comments.

I have no evidence to prove or disprove this statement. I will say that the Bible Belt still seems to be one of the most segregated areas in the United States. Schools are segregated, neighborhoods are segregated (albeit not as much as some in the North), and churches are segregated. Not to mention the great disparity in wealth between whites and blacks.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The Award for the Wackiest Post of the Day goes to:
That's a repeat winner too...........

Old 11-23-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
If you could find one.............

I have no evidence to prove or disprove this statement. I will say that the Bible Belt still seems to be one of the most segregated areas in the United States. Schools are segregated, neighborhoods are segregated (albeit not as much as some in the North), and churches are segregated. Not to mention the great disparity in wealth between whites and blacks.
Schools and churches are segregated????

Old 11-23-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Schools and churches are segregated????
The most segregated hour in America is 11 AM on a Sunday.

Look at any list of schools in Southern states and marvel at how many "Christian Academies" there are. Then look to see when they were established.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:17 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I saw a documentary the other day on racism and they were talking about when Martin Luther King etc. marched on Chicago because it was the most racially segregated city in the US (and pretty much still is). They were met by nazi protesters etc.

I think it's funny mainly because Chicago was and still is completely democratically controlled and a VERY racially separated town. Heck, walk into Mayor Daley's neighborhood as a black and you are taking your life in your hands.

Just to point out, black people live in Dayleys neighborhood, and walk around there daily. Much of Chicago is segregated by neighborhoods yes, but, that doesn't mean there is a problem with racism. I have never seen a neighborhood here, that a black person can't go into, and the same with a white person.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The most segregated hour in America is 11 AM on a Sunday.

Look at any list of schools in Southern states and marvel at how many "Christian Academies" there are. Then look to see when they were established.
I grew up in the South, didn't come across all that many private schools, and even if they were "Christian Academies" they weren't segregated, they actually had black and white students.

And as I recall, there were a heck of a lot of private schools in the North. Catholic Schools, Episcopalian, Lutheran, and so on.

As for churches, I really don't know if what you say about 11 am being the most segregated hour in America. Churches do serve specific groups of people, and that may result in "black" churches and "white" churches, but it's not a phenomenon restricted to the South. Right now, a lot of churches in the South have separate services, a service conducted in Spanish and a service conducted in English. Baptist, Catholic, Presbyterian churches are doing this. Does that make them racist?

Old 11-23-2009, 03:35 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Andy Young said the same thing , when he marched with King they never experienced anything down south that could compare to places like Boston, and other northern cities.. but that was then.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies