Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,987,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Sorry, but i lived in the south, and i heard the "N" word used daily by white people. i listened to white people in public places putting down blacks in front of them without any fear of retaliation. i am white and it sickened me. I was told by one man that you really need to carry a card in the south, a KKK card. This was in Florida. I had black Buddhist friends stop by my house, and since I was renting, as I later learned, from a KKK member I was afraid of his finding out. After moving to another house a neighbor couple stopped by when i had them over, and you should have seen the looks they had. i hated the south for these reasons. would never move back.
And I would like to know when all this happened? We lived in Texas for 13 years, never saw anything like you are discribing, didn't know a sole who carried a KKK card or believed in KKK, we live in AR now, as you can tell, it is the same, unless you live in the country and 2 or our 3 kids live in Florida. None of them feel this way...I think you are taking things out of context or lived in a very small town in Florida or maybe it was years ago. I lived in Florida in the 1940s, it was true then I might add or I guess it was, I was just a kid...Oh, btw, we lived in VA for 7 years and didn't see what you are discribing. I have worked for and with many blacks, we have them in our church or did in our church in Texas, and we have black friends.

To judge all the south by the stories you are telling is totally unfair and unjust. You talk about prejudice, you are showing that right now..and you are being very judgemental as well.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 09:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,987,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I don't think people in CA are as racist, but there is racism. I agree with you on the rest of your post and tried to rep you but couldn't. I also respect the fact that they are as I called it, "Politically correct." I had a black friend in the South that once lived in Portland, OR where it is also politically correct, and she said that she would rather live in the south so that she would really know where she really stood with people. I live in a small town in Oklahoma and while racism reared its ugly head during the election, no one used the "N" word and I have been here 3 years without hearing racism due to the political correctiveness of the people here. Other parts of OK may not be the same. But I mostly heard it from the fundamentalists during the election as well as some others that came here from other States.
Wait a minute, you just said you would never live in the south again because of all the racism and now you claim you live in OK. If Ok isn't part of the south what would you call it??? Gotcha!!!!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:00 AM

9,018 posts, read 13,875,849 times
i know many went off topic but the question was how could people praise God and read the bible[church going} then hate their neighbor, whether black white,or gay? wasnt that the top commandment/

Old 11-24-2009, 11:13 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,947,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
i know many went off topic but the question was how could people praise God and read the bible[church going} then hate their neighbor, whether black white,or gay? wasnt that the top commandment/
The bible says you should beat your wife, too. It accepts the concept of slaves. If you wanted a religious discussion, and not a political one, then you should have posted in the religion forum, where many people could quote you chapter and verse from the bible to support their biases. Not all of us Southerners are biblical experts.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:53 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,966,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Schools and churches are segregated????
You didn't know this???

Old 11-25-2009, 09:30 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,566,425 times
Census: Blacks moving back to the South at record pace

By Associated Press
Published October 31, 2003

A strong economy and vastly improved race relations are luring record numbers of black Americans to the South, a region that many deserted early in the 20th century. More than 680,000 blacks 5 and older moved to the South from another region from 1995 to 2000, outnumbering the 333,000 who moved away by a better than 2-to-1 margin, according to a Census Bureau report released Thursday.

Worldandnation: Census: Blacks moving back to the South at record pace

Old 11-25-2009, 09:35 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,947,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
You didn't know this???
Sorry, but haven't come across those segregated schools in my lifetime.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:41 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,773,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Census: Blacks moving back to the South at record pace

By Associated Press
Published October 31, 2003

A strong economy and vastly improved race relations are luring record numbers of black Americans to the South, a region that many deserted early in the 20th century. More than 680,000 blacks 5 and older moved to the South from another region from 1995 to 2000, outnumbering the 333,000 who moved away by a better than 2-to-1 margin, according to a Census Bureau report released Thursday.

Worldandnation: Census: Blacks moving back to the South at record pace
Makes sense. While there is still plenty of racism here, it's usually not violent in nature like it sometimes was 100 years ago. Many black people here probably never hear a racist remark toward them. The reason for this is because the racists who hate them won't say it to their faces, only behind their backs. Sometimes there are exceptions, of course. Most of the racists I know wouldn't actually harm anyone just because of their skin color, but they still look down on them for that reason. It's a huge improvement but it's still wrong.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:44 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,773,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Sorry, but haven't come across those segregated schools in my lifetime.
Well as far as I know they're not intentionally segregated. They just end up that way, and even then not entirely. If a school is in a predominantly black neighborhood, it stands to reason that most of the students will probably be black. I would say it's more of an issue of the neighborhoods being segregated than the schools, which are a bi-product.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:35 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,374,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ-2OMIQbq4

Naaah...Cali is just fine.
Heh..California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies