Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 03:40 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,996,399 times

Advertisements

Good Evening,

Old Gringo ..... Thoes folks in the pickup truck are so mean looking !

Did you draw the men from a real life scene ? It's really a good job.

I hope the pretty picture is not representative of a "Stereotype" of "White Folks" engaged in some type of preconceived "Racial Hatred" scenario !!!

May we never forget that "Racism" comes in so many different "Colors" !

Thank You / Lamar

Last edited by L.Funk; 11-23-2009 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Spelling / Thanks Lamar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 07:30 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,100,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
i know,i know there is racism in the north but there is more in the south from my experience. but the kicker for me is how can that happen when this is the bible belt? or are people hypocrites down here? am i not getting something? what part of love thy neighbor dont they understand?
Probably need a psychologist or psychiatrist to understand the minds of people who shout "Praise Gawd" for hours on Sunday mornings then spit out of their car windows as they pass a black guy on the sidewalk. Churchiness must give many such people an air of superiority, forgiveness, self righteousness or something. Many southerners are the spawn of post civil war racists and KKK terrorists in states where racial terrorism was a guilded craft for millions of southerners.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:19 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
How little you really know about the south...yes, in small towns and country settings, like any other state including Ca for that matter you might see a lot more prejudice, but too few people really understand the south. At least they are open about their feelings instead of true hypocrites like many in the NoEast, mid Atlantic and some other areas. Did you ever think about all the ways one can be a racist or a bigot? It isn't just a black/white thing..

I for one, am so sick and tired of this crap. I will tell you where we have lived with the most racism. It happened to be in Dallas and it was black against white...not the other way around.

Nita
Sorry, but i lived in the south, and i heard the "N" word used daily by white people. i listened to white people in public places putting down blacks in front of them without any fear of retaliation. i am white and it sickened me. I was told by one man that you really need to carry a card in the south, a KKK card. This was in Florida. I had black Buddhist friends stop by my house, and since I was renting, as I later learned, from a KKK member I was afraid of his finding out. After moving to another house a neighbor couple stopped by when i had them over, and you should have seen the looks they had. i hated the south for these reasons. would never move back.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 11-24-2009 at 06:44 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You say this is just "political correctness" but I find this to be polite and good manners. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion but what I value about places like California is people are respectful even if they are being "politically correct." They recognize it is wrong to use racial epithets and make ignorant stereotypical comments publicly. I don't want to hear the "N" word used. I don't want to hear the word fa$# when people are describing gays. I don't want to hear people publicly state their conservative religious beliefs. Likewise, I don't state some of my liberal beliefs openly out of respect to conservative people. I do that on this forum because it's an anonymous forum that people choose to view but I don't impose my views when I'm at work or in public out of respect for others. Yes, maybe people in California are as racist as they are in the South but the fact that they don't openly express those views is something I respect and value. In the South and rural areas, people discuss subjects like politics, race and religion in public venues such as places of employment that I feel are inappropriate. Having lived in Dallas, I heard people make crude comments all the time in their hospitals and I've not once heard such type of discussion at any time in my experience in LA and Phoenix hospitals.
I don't think people in CA are as racist, but there is racism. I agree with you on the rest of your post and tried to rep you but couldn't. I also respect the fact that they are as I called it, "Politically correct." I had a black friend in the South that once lived in Portland, OR where it is also politically correct, and she said that she would rather live in the south so that she would really know where she really stood with people. I live in a small town in Oklahoma and while racism reared its ugly head during the election, no one used the "N" word and I have been here 3 years without hearing racism due to the political correctiveness of the people here. Other parts of OK may not be the same. But I mostly heard it from the fundamentalists during the election as well as some others that came here from other States.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
If you could find one.............

I have no evidence to prove or disprove this statement. I will say that the Bible Belt still seems to be one of the most segregated areas in the United States. Schools are segregated, neighborhoods are segregated (albeit not as much as some in the North), and churches are segregated. Not to mention the great disparity in wealth between whites and blacks.
You are correct. I lived in Mississippi a few years back, and it is segregatred. I went house housing and stopped in at a realtor's office, and I was told to not call about houses but talk to the people in person so they can see that you are white, because over the phone they may mistake you for being black (my word not hers) and not rent to you.

I had neighbors tell me that they are not prejudiced but they would not rent to a N.

I saw where the blacks lived in MS, and it bothered me. Most in the country lived in houses without electricity, shacks actually. Across the border in Memphis they probably have it better; I do not know. But I was in a thrift store in Memphis where it was mostly blacks, and the tension was horrible. They did not like my being there, and then an elderly woman walked by me and patted me on the shoulder and I felt so relieved.

Racism goes both ways. When you are treated badly it is hard to not be racist. Native Americans are racist against whites and blacks as well. I think Politically Correctness goes a long way to helping people get over their prejudice, or at least I hope so.

Yes, churches are segregated. Where I live in OK we have one black church and a black neighborhood. The black church was burned to the ground once, and you know who helped rebuild it? Not the white Christians but the Unitarian Church.

In MS I learned that the way they keep blacks out of their churches is to ignore them if they come to visit. In the Unitarian Church here there are a few various types of races.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,574,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Good Evening,

Old Gringo ..... Thoes folks in the pickup truck are so mean looking !

Did you draw the men from a real life scene ? It's really a good job.

I hope the pretty picture is not representative of a "Stereotype" of "White Folks" engaged in some type of preconceived "Racial Hatred" scenario !!!

May we never forget that "Racism" comes in so many different "Colors" !

Thank You / Lamar

Dear Lamar:

In case you missed it, gringo = white guy.

Yours truly,

Old Gringo

Old 11-24-2009, 06:55 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,106,012 times
A better question would be How so much racism could happen in so called tolerant liberal areas like NY, Mass and California.

The answer would be that small minded talk a good game but don't back it up Libs in these areas are full of it when it comes to race relations

Old 11-24-2009, 08:03 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,555,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
i know,i know there is racism in the north but there is more in the south from my experience. but the kicker for me is how can that happen when this is the bible belt? or are people hypocrites down here? am i not getting something? what part of love thy neighbor dont they understand?

Just because it's called the Bible Belt doesn't mean everybody reads it or are Christians....lots of Bibles in the North too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOxOR3x8FBQ

BOSTON:
Desegregation busing in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The integration plan aroused fierce criticism among some Boston residents. Of the 100,000 enrolled in Boston school districts, attendance fell to 40,000 to 60,000 during these years. Opponents personally attacked Garrity, claiming that because he lived in a white suburb, his own children were not affected by his ruling. The author of the busing plan, Robert Dentler, lived in the suburb of Lexington, which was unaffected by the ruling. It has been noted that the children of Massachusetts governor Michael Dukakis attended school in Brookline[color=black], which was also unaffected, not being part of Boston.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-24-2009 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: too long, just post a few sentences

Old 11-24-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I don't think people in CA are as racist, but there is racism. I agree with you on the rest of your post and tried to rep you but couldn't. I also respect the fact that they are as I called it, "Politically correct." I had a black friend in the South that once lived in Portland, OR where it is also politically correct, and she said that she would rather live in the south so that she would really know where she really stood with people. I live in a small town in Oklahoma and while racism reared its ugly head during the election, no one used the "N" word and I have been here 3 years without hearing racism due to the political correctiveness of the people here. Other parts of OK may not be the same. But I mostly heard it from the fundamentalists during the election as well as some others that came here from other States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ-2OMIQbq4

Naaah...Cali is just fine.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:07 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bEG2...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies